How do you convert a .cda file?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
So, I have an audio (not music) CD that I would like to save to my computer and then copy. It says it's in a .cda file. It won't let me play it unless the CD is in the computer and I can't figure out how to convert it and save it.

Thanks in advance for your input. :)

p.s. Please don't forget that I'm clueless.

Diana,

A cda file is not natively playable from your computer (as you figured out).

What you need is a "ripper" program to convert the .cda and/or CD to a file format usable on the computer. There are a variety of conversion programs out there. I don't think Audacity can do it, but there are a number of others that can.

Last edited:
Diana,

A cda file is not natively playable from your computer (as you figured out).

What you need is a "ripper" program to convert the .cda and/or CD to a file format usable on the computer. There are a variety of conversion programs out there. I don't think Audacity can do it, but there are a number of others that can.
Oh....OK. Hmmmmm.

Wouldn't iTunes or Media player be able to rip a .cda file?
I was wondering that too, but I'm not smart enough to be able to figure it out.

Oh....OK. Hmmmmm.

I was wondering that too, but I'm not smart enough to be able to figure it out.

Google "cda file conversion" and pick your poison. Or go to a freeware download site. Popular freeware sites include tucows.com and majorgeeks.com. Most of the programs there are "clean" without malware.

Google "cda file conversion" and pick your poison. Or go to a freeware download site. Popular freeware sites include tucows.com and majorgeeks.com. Most of the programs there are "clean" without malware.
OK, thanks Bill! :)

Diana,
Here is a great free program to 'rip' or convert cda audio files to other audio file formats

http://www.freerip.com/

"FreeRIP is a Windows application that lets you extract audio CD tracks and save them to Wav, MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC audio files (this process is known as ripping). FreeRIP is also a audio file and MP3 converter and it can convert audio files from one of the named formats to another. E.G. FreeRIP can convert a WAV file to MP3 or a FLAC file to MP3, or an MP3 file to WAV and so on."

Diana,
Here is a great free program to 'rip' or convert cda audio files to other audio file formats

http://www.freerip.com/

"FreeRIP is a Windows application that lets you extract audio CD tracks and save them to Wav, MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis or FLAC audio files (this process is known as ripping). FreeRIP is also a audio file and MP3 converter and it can convert audio files from one of the named formats to another. E.G. FreeRIP can convert a WAV file to MP3 or a FLAC file to MP3, or an MP3 file to WAV and so on."

Thanks! I'll check that out! :)

So far, everyone's missing one important point:

A .cda file cannot be converted or ripped unless the CD is still in the drive. A .cda file is nothing more than a pointer to the specific track on the CD that contains the music.

So if you don't have the CDs, it cannot be converted. That said, Windows Media Player will rip the songs from the CD to a .wma file for ya.

So far, everyone's missing one important point:

A .cda file cannot be converted or ripped unless the CD is still in the drive. A .cda file is nothing more than a pointer to the specific track on the CD that contains the music.

So if you don't have the CDs, it cannot be converted. That said, Windows Media Player will rip the songs from the CD to a .wma file for ya.
Well, I gave her the CD, so she should be set!:yes:

My mom wants a copy. :)
Well, either your laptop or desktop should be able to copy the disk pretty readily using applications that came with the computers. And if not, I'm sure that the new computer you're going to get will!

Well, either your laptop or desktop should be able to copy the disk pretty readily using applications that came with the computers.
Tom figured out late last night that he has a program on his computer that will copy the CD, but I would still like to save it on the computer somehow.

And if not, I'm sure that the new computer you're going to get will!
:D Good point! I finally bought one, but won't let myself play with it until all my thank-you notes are written. :redface:

Tom figured out late last night that he has a program on his computer that will copy the CD, but I would still like to save it on the computer somehow.

Diana,
To save the audio CD tracks on the PC, you need to 'rip' the tracks to PC file formats. Use freerip to rip to either wave files or mp3 files.

The advantage of wave files (wav) is that you can create new audio CD with them and retain the original audio quality. The advantage of mp3 format is that it is much smaller file, takes up much less PC space than wave files I have my entire audio CD library probably close to 1000 CDs in mp3 format stored on my PC, laptop as well on about 6 DVDs for backup. Another advantage is that you can play the DVD on stand alone DVD player. You can also store the mp3 files on CD to play with many CD players. You can also upload the files to iPod. Unless you are an audiophile, the mp3 audio quality is quite acceptable.

hpl

Not until the 19th ya scurvy dog!!!!

http://talklikeapirate.com/

graypirate.gif

;)

Back