How do you connect with local pilots?

saha

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
saha
I'm working on a mobile app for pilots and I'm wondering if you all have any thoughts on how you've successfully connected with local pilots in the past? Local discussion boards? Twitter? A lot of flight clubs and flight school websites I've seen don't have discussion boards, so wondering what's missing in this equation, if anything.

I'm working on a mobile app for pilots and I'm wondering if you all have any thoughts on how you've successfully connected with local pilots in the past? Local discussion boards? Twitter? A lot of flight clubs and flight school websites I've seen don't have discussion boards, so wondering what's missing in this equation, if anything.
I don't, I know my CFI, that is about it. Maybe I need your app. Or a self help book.

The airport I use when I fly has a pilot's association and dues are $15 a year. Comprised of the local EAA chapter, some flight school CFIs and students, and locally based pilots.

Well, honestly, meeting local pilots requires local events, not an app or a message board. Even socialflight suffers from the problem that almost all the events are far away. And that app sounds like what you're asking about. It sort of works, not terribly well.

One of the local flight schools runs a monthly movie night (usually with an aviation theme). There are aviation seminars. Another local flight school runs a "fly out group" and a night flight group. Plus a program for the under-18 crowd (complete with subsidy -- it's rather impressive), and seminars for new and student pilots. People come out of the woodwork for "aviation days," though most of the visitors are general public. And so on.

A couple of us from here started a regional FB group for pilots. Just did our first big meet up and already planning the next.

Regional email list.

A couple of us from here started a regional FB group for pilots. Just did our first big meet up and already planning the next.
Awesome, does that work well for you? What don't you like about it? Do you use it on your phone or just when you're in front of your computer?

The airport I use when I fly has a pilot's association and dues are $15 a year. Comprised of the local EAA chapter, some flight school CFIs and students, and locally based pilots.
Very interesting - is there any online forum, communication tool or email for the association? Do you think you'd use one? Who runs the association?

Very interesting - is there any online forum, communication tool or email for the association? Do you think you'd use one? Who runs the association?

If you send me a big check I might consider answering those questions. People like their privacy man, so no deal. Unless you send me a big check.

Well, honestly, meeting local pilots requires local events, not an app or a message board. Even socialflight suffers from the problem that almost all the events are far away. And that app sounds like what you're asking about. It sort of works, not terribly well.

One of the local flight schools runs a monthly movie night (usually with an aviation theme). There are aviation seminars. Another local flight school runs a "fly out group" and a night flight group. Plus a program for the under-18 crowd (complete with subsidy -- it's rather impressive), and seminars for new and student pilots. People come out of the woodwork for "aviation days," though most of the visitors are general public. And so on.
Yes local events is something we're working on as well - it's clearly very useful to actually meet in person. I'm very interested in the fact that people do come out of the woodwork, as you say, so there seems to be a lot of interest, especially in in person connection but general connection as well.

What's the name of the flight school that you mentioned? I'd love to see how they organize the local community.

If you send me a big check I might consider answering those questions. People like their privacy man, so no deal. Unless you send me a big check.
;) I'll see what I can do. very much appreciate the privacy concern.

Would also love your thoughts on the app so far and how it compares so far to what you get out of Facebook (and what it might be missing): airfoilapp.com

I hop on my golf cart and cruise around the airport and BS with everyone. I have just as much fun hanging out than I do flying.

I knew about a couple of social networks for pilots, but they petered out pretty quickly. One was a re-skin of Ning, hangarchat.com. Another was called "MyTransponder" and set up by none other than Rod Rakic, before he created OpenAirplane. It's possible that the scene and the market are ready for another go for it. But if it's going to be mobile-only, count me out.

Meetup has some pilot groups.

Facebook (if you're into that) has some too.

Talking to people at airports, the group of Colorado nutcases here, random people who walk into my CFIs office at the airport (seemingly everyone knows him, since he's been around forever and they know he has quiet extra office space so some will even ask to meet up there, like the new DPE candidate and an elder DPE who spent a couple hours there one day going over how DPEs do their required "stuff"...), Colorado Pilot's Assn (events mostly but they publish a roster annually), a fairly large group of crazies at Oshkosh (more than one group actually), to a lesser extent for MEETING but a great way to KEEP IN TOUCH, Facebook, and interestingly ham radio -- up to at least ten local pilots who I met there first, across all walks of aviation.

Yes local events is something we're working on as well - it's clearly very useful to actually meet in person. I'm very interested in the fact that people do come out of the woodwork, as you say, so there seems to be a lot of interest, especially in in person connection but general connection as well.

What's the name of the flight school that you mentioned? I'd love to see how they organize the local community.
You're a local, too, so you must have run across these guys. San Carlos Flight Center. I've never been a customer of theirs (too far and a bit too pricey), but I've attended a few events, and they really seem to have their poop together. These are the guys with the "Bay Flight" callsign we run into everywhere.

Airline pilots, well, you could try the hotel bar but watch out for those rowdy SWA crews!

Indeed

Rocky_Horror_throne_screencap.jpg

Local EAA chapter, talking to other pilots at the airport (OK, I admit that's old school ;)) and a Michigan pilot's Facebook page, where pilots announce if they go to a pancake breakfast or a fly-in.

Frankly, though, it appears as whether very few pilots ever go anywhere. At our airport, my wife and I seem to be the only ones who actually go places with their plane. There are two other guys who commute to Tennessee every few weeks, but that's about it. Everybody else seems to be happy with hangar flying or going for a $100 burger max. And these are already the more adventurous pilots... ;)

You're a local, too, so you must have run across these guys. San Carlos Flight Center. I've never been a customer of theirs (too far and a bit too pricey), but I've attended a few events, and they really seem to have their poop together. These are the guys with the "Bay Flight" callsign we run into everywhere.
Thanks for the tip!

I knew about a couple of social networks for pilots, but they petered out pretty quickly. One was a re-skin of Ning, hangarchat.com. Another was called "MyTransponder" and set up by none other than Rod Rakic, before he created OpenAirplane. It's possible that the scene and the market are ready for another go for it. But if it's going to be mobile-only, count me out.
Interesting. Any reason in particular you're not down with mobile?

Interesting. Any reason in particular you're not down with mobile?
Believe it or not some still don't have phones with data. I have a 'learning disabled' phone. (smart phone with wifi only)

Social flight is very good if you are just looking for events. Our Facebook page that Cajun mentioned seems to be doing well. Someone posts a particular time and place for a meetup, and people can discuss below with replies who is going etc. Real easy to set up a poll if you want to RSVP for a restaurant. 50-75% of people that say yes actually make it as stuff pops up for people last minute. What I like most about our page is that the ****ole factor is really low there. We just meet up and have a good time because we like to fly. The egos aren't an issue like at some particular websites and forums where everything is somehow an argument...

We too have a local MeetUp group. It is not as popular as the FecesBook group, though that one is full of wannabes and pretenders. We don't have too many of those on MeetUp (we have sign-up criteria and do a good weeding from time to time).
But in general, there is no universal way to contact local pilots. Maybe we need yet another app. :-D

We too have a local MeetUp group. It is not as popular as the FecesBook group, though that one is full of wannabes and pretenders. We don't have too many of those on MeetUp (we have sign-up criteria and do a good weeding from time to time).
But in general, there is no universal way to contact local pilots. Maybe we need yet another app. :-D
Got it. Meetup is great for organizing in person meetings. I haven't been on their site for a while I'll look some more. I'm more interested in online conversations with local pilots that can help pilots meet one another and start new conversations. That can lead to more meetups and that kind of thing? If you want to try what we have so far I'd love to hear what you think - airfoilapp.com. There's still lots to do and looking for more suggestions :)

Fly.

And hang out at the airport when you are not flying.

Be friendly, talk to people.

It's really as simple as that.

Fly.

And hang out at the airport when you are not flying.

Be friendly, talk to people.

It's really as simple as that.

There are three planes at my airport. Only one has cranked the engine this decade . . . Nobody to hang out with or talk to. A nearby airport where I used to be based is good to hang out and talk to skydivers, but in the almost two years I was there I met three other pilots . . .

Local EAA chapter, talking to other pilots at the airport (OK, I admit that's old school ;)) and a Michigan pilot's Facebook page, where pilots announce if they go to a pancake breakfast or a fly-in.

Frankly, though, it appears as whether very few pilots ever go anywhere. At our airport, my wife and I seem to be the only ones who actually go places with their plane. There are two other guys who commute to Tennessee every few weeks, but that's about it. Everybody else seems to be happy with hangar flying or going for a $100 burger max. And these are already the more adventurous pilots... ;)

"German Guy," what is the Michigan Pilots Facebook page? I'm interested in joining that group. I learned to fly at Y47 just northwest of Detroit.

Got it. Meetup is great for organizing in person meetings. I haven't been on their site for a while I'll look some more. I'm more interested in online conversations with local pilots that can help pilots meet one another and start new conversations. That can lead to more meetups and that kind of thing? If you want to try what we have so far I'd love to hear what you think - airfoilapp.com. There's still lots to do and looking for more suggestions :)
I might take a peek later. From reading the Privacy Policy, it mentions that the app asks for Facebook login. Is that actually required? What about pilots who have a life instead? Can they interact using your app too? :)
How is your local pilot search implemented? Just curious from a developer point of view. Many apps/webpages tried to take a stab at it and so far none succeeded yet. You could be the first one! :)

But so far the best way to meet new pilots has been by socializing and talking to humans outside, at the airport etc. We have a decent group going here, never a dull weekend.

There are three planes at my airport. Only one has cranked the engine this decade . . . Nobody to hang out with or talk to. A nearby airport where I used to be based is good to hang out and talk to skydivers, but in the almost two years I was there I met three other pilots . . .

Where you based Hank?

I might take a peek later. From reading the Privacy Policy, it mentions that the app asks for Facebook login. Is that actually required? What about pilots who have a life instead? Can they interact using your app too? :)
How is your local pilot search implemented? Just curious from a developer point of view. Many apps/webpages tried to take a stab at it and so far none succeeded yet. You could be the first one! :)

But so far the best way to meet new pilots has been by socializing and talking to humans outside, at the airport etc. We have a decent group going here, never a dull weekend.

Yes, human contact is amazing - somehow still under-appreciated!

We do have email signup as well. You are not required to sign up with Facebook. Kudos for reading the privacy policy!

As for the pilot search, right now it's just oriented around the geolocations of discussion posts. In other words, more about local discussions than local pilots. E.g. if you explicitly post a discussion thread to BHM pilots within a certain radius of that airport will see your post in their "Home" feed. Similarly, if you fly to SFO and open the app you'll see posts posted to that airport in the "Nearby" feed. There's also a "Global" feed that doesn't have any geo data associated with it.

Would love to hear what you think!

Back