How do I use the rco at this airport?

neilw2

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Neil W
How would you use the rco at SLK?....according to the attached page of the afd you transmit to 395.0 which I can't figure out how I would use! I'm sure I'm reading it wrong but I would love for someone to set me straight.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 125
Makes since but why doesn't it spell that out in the afd? Is it common to just assume you listen on the vor on the field if it specifies the transmit freq?

Makes since but why doesn't it spell that out in the afd? Is it common to just assume you listen on the vor on the field if it specifies the transmit freq?
I agree, it's not very intuitive looking at the A/FD. But in this day and age I don't think there's any situation in the US where you transmit on one frequency and listen on another, other than RCOs located at VORs. Maybe somebody knows of something, but I can't think of one.

The AF/D says to listen on 395. That is the ADF frequency for BRIEL, co located at the LOM. Turn up the volume on your ADF receiver. The ADF is not charted on the VFR chart but is on the IFR low. Plus the SLK VOR freq box shows the 122.1R and receive on the VOR 109.2

The AF/D says to listen on 395. That is the ADF frequency for BRIEL, co located at the LOM.
Odd to see a low frequency channel expressed with a decimal ("395.0T").

A lot of A/FD users are VFR, and a lot don't have a way to listen on LF. Would it not have been clearer for the A/FD to say something like, "RCO 122.1R 395.0T (BRIEL LOM) or 109.4T (SLK VOR-DME) (BURLINGTON RADIO)" ?

Transmit on 122.1 (-----) center, Cessna 1345, listening (name of VOR,NDB etc)

Odd to see a low frequency channel expressed with a decimal ("395.0T").

A lot of A/FD users are VFR, and a lot don't have a way to listen on LF.

I don't know why VFR enters into it. ADFs are not overly plentiful in the IFR crowd these days either.

As for the nomenclature, it's the same that sectionals use, so that's hardly an IFR vs. VFR issue either. While much better nationwide coverage on 122.0 exists and we don't much call for in flight weather given various datalink sources, but in the day us VFR guys would still be looking around at the nearby VORs for an FSS outlet.

Back