How do community hangars work?

FredFenster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Greg L
Just wondering how keeping an airplane in a community hangar usually works. Does everyone get a designated "Parking spot" or is it stuff 'em in until you can get the doors closed? And lets say my airplane got moved around by someone else because it was in their way and now the wingtip is missing paint, is that all my responsibility, or the person that moved it (if you can even find them), or would it be an insurance deal?

Well, it depends. I've been in 3 community hangar situations.

1. Community hangar was huge, rarely had to move anyone out of the way. FBO would do it if needed.
2. Smaller Box hangar. I always moved the C172 in front of me out of the way.
3. Signature Community Hangar. Not even sure where the hangar was, I called ahead and they had it waiting for me on the ramp.

I don't know legally, I never pranged up anyones plane moving it out the way, but had I busted a strobe or scratched some paint. I'd have offered to pay for it.

I'm lucky because mine is front and center right now. I haven't been there in a month, but we had 3 full planes in there, one partial plane to the side, and a workroom in the back that the owner was making a canoe in. I just pull out and back in. I have to move the tail a little to move around a prop or wing, but its pretty easy. Back before the owner sold his Super Cub, I had to move that out first, pull mine out, and then put his back in. Reverse that putting the plane away. Great workout, but I don't advise it doing yourself if you can help it. I know there was a set of rules that I signed on the lease, but I don't have it handy to look at. We knew where to find everybody. At the time the hangar owner ownder the flight school with one or two of his planes in it, and the other plane was owned by one of the instructors there, and then there was mine, the students.

Last edited:
When I was in a community hangar, the plane had an unofficial "spot" where it lived. FBO handled moving it or other planes in and out of the way as necessary. We never moved them at all.

I never liked it. Birds crapped on the plane more, I didn't have a place to keep other plane-related items, and they charged more for the privilege.

Most FBOs with large hangars use the 'most recently used' algorithm for allocating space near the door. If you have an RV3 in there, with a bunch of King Airs and Aerostars, but you fly your RV every afternoon at 3, then your's will be closest to the door. If you have a ratty Cessna 140, dripping oil that hasn't moved since it's annual, then it'll be in the far back corner, furthest from the door.

Just wondering how keeping an airplane in a community hangar usually works. Does everyone get a designated "Parking spot" or is it stuff 'em in until you can get the doors closed? And lets say my airplane got moved around by someone else because it was in their way and now the wingtip is missing paint, is that all my responsibility, or the person that moved it (if you can even find them), or would it be an insurance deal?

Be ready for lots of hangar rash.....

The club I fly in uses community hangers for the planes. We share the space with everything from 172s to Cessna Caravans. FBO is the only one allowed to open the doors and remove or put back planes. Recently they damaged the wingtip removing the club 152 and the repair was paid by the FBO. Thankfully the FBO is manned 24/7 and offer great customer service. Better than individual hangers IMO.

Some are good...some bad.

I've seen some where they just stack them in tight and everyone in front of you has to be moved if your plane isn't the closest to the door.

The only one I've ever rented a spot in was far better. They had designated spots for each plane down each side of the hangar and kept a center aisle open. It was a large hangar...8 spots on either side of the center aisle. There was also a door on both ends so you were never over 1/2 the distance of the hangar from the nearest door. The FBO typically got the plane out for you but you were free to do it yourself if you choose to. The aisle was amply wide and had a CL stripe so it was relatively risk free to do so. They also had arcing CL stripes into each "parking space". It was a really nice set-up.

The only time planes were parked in the aisle was when a storm was expected. The FBO would pull transient aircraft off the line and put them in the hangar if a hail storm was on the way. Then they'd put them back out on the line after the storm passed.

Certainly can't complain about that.

Last edited:
Most FBOs with large hangars use the 'most recently used' algorithm for allocating space near the door. If you have an RV3 in there, with a bunch of King Airs and Aerostars, but you fly your RV every afternoon at 3, then your's will be closest to the door. If you have a ratty Cessna 140, dripping oil that hasn't moved since it's annual, then it'll be in the far back corner, furthest from the door.

This is my experience too...
I am currently in a Tee hangar with one other plane... Works great for both of us as he fits under my left wing with a bit of room to spare... I am not complaining either as there is a 10+ year waiting list for hangars here...

Attachments

• 2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 048.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 2012 Xmas. 047.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 047.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 43
  • 2012 Xmas. 046.jpg
    2012 Xmas. 046.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 36
Sounds like I'll have to try and get a little more information from someone at the airport. Its a former FBO hangar now privately owned, right next to the FBO. I know there's a King Air in there for sure and another smaller twin, and the only tug is owned by the FBO so I'd guess they'd be the ones who have to do any moving. That would be bad for me if that's the case, the FBO is only open when I'm working.. :(

Sounds like I'll have to try and get a little more information from someone at the airport. Its a former FBO hangar now privately owned, right next to the FBO. I know there's a King Air in there for sure and another smaller twin, and the only tug is owned by the FBO so I'd guess they'd be the ones who have to do any moving. That would be bad for me if that's the case, the FBO is only open when I'm working.. :(

Depending on the FBO, they might let the tenants move airplanes around.

Otherwise, if the FBO is not 24/7, you really have to plan ahead - call in advance to have the plane pulled out during working hours.

I never liked it. Birds crapped on the plane more, I didn't have a place to keep other plane-related items, and they charged more for the privilege.

You has birds crapping on the plane inside the hangar? That stinks.

I just moved the Baron into a corporate hangar here (due to the moisture problems in the T- hangars). It costs a $100 more per month, but considering the alternative, it is worth it. Nice hangar and somehow seeing my airplane nestled amongst KAs and jets eases my worries about hangar rash.

To me the biggest downside of the community hangar is that I don't have a space to store a lot if stuff ( like a beer stocked fridge) and I can't really do much owner-maintenance stuff.

I've been in a community hangar for 20 years, owned by the FBO. I never move an airplane, they pull them in and out. It usually works GREAT, occasionally the girl at the counter doesn't tell the line guys and I have to wait, but normally I give them at least an hour notice and it's ready when I get there. If it looks like rain or it's blazing hot they will pull it to the edge of the hangar and leave the tug hooked up until I am ready to depart. :D:D

Our club 172 is in a group hangar. It has a Seminole that prolly hasn't flown in as many years as I've been alive. We occasionally get a Mirage, an lsa, 2 172s and a couple more in and outs.

The FBO pulls all the planes in and out. We are not to touch them. Last summer they cranked too hard turning pulling our bird out and broke the shimmy damper, the shock on it and bent the nose strut. We filed a claim with insurance but they ended up getting the FBO to pay for it. Other than that, funny to say, it's been a great experience. They fuel it and take care of the movement etc, we settle up at the end of the month.

When I worked at the airport in Vernon, I kept the community hanger arraigned in such a manor as to be able to get any airplane out at any time with minimal effort.
We had usually about 15-20 airplanes in at any one time. All lined up along the sides, with an aisle down the middle. The ones that almost never flew would be along the wall in the middle, and the ones that flew more often along the walls near the doors, and the ones that flew nearly ever day would be in the aisle in the middle of the hanger. The only time an airplane needed to be moved to get another one out was when one of the non-flyers went flying, and then it would only be one other to move. But this hanger is pretty big.

The issue with community hangars is that they open and close more regularly, which gives bird a chance to come in. They're a chronic problem. Often hangar doors are left open to make it easier, which means birds can just come and go as they please. Also, ceilings are often higher, making for better nesting palces for birds.

I'm in a community hangar. It's a big rectangular hangar with places for 4 planes parked perpendicular on each side with an aisle down the center for rolling planes thru or the occasional overnight guest planes parked in the middle. The 8 "permanent" parking spots are assigned, and hand-picked by the airport's owner who is a close friend of mine. Been in this hangar over 10 years now first with my Cherokee, now with the RV-6. If you're in this hangar, you're part of an exclusive group. :D

Last edited:
We've got the club planes in a community hangar. It's roughly square and is large with gigantic doors, so they arrange the dozen or so planes in a semicircle facing the door. On rare occasions they'll have one plane in front by the door. However, we have a 24x7 FBO that will take them out and put them away any time of day or night, so I usually just call a few minutes away, and I'll call on Unicom after landing to get it put away (or sometimes on my cell phone as I'm departing the airport).

They've only failed us once.

I just moved the Baron into a corporate hangar here (due to the moisture problems in the T- hangars). It costs a $100 more per month, but considering the alternative, it is worth it. Nice hangar and somehow seeing my airplane nestled amongst KAs and jets eases my worries about hangar rash.

To me the biggest downside of the community hangar is that I don't have a space to store a lot if stuff ( like a beer stocked fridge) and I can't really do much owner-maintenance stuff.

I'm reading this right?
The community hangar costs MORE than a T?
Your 3rd paragraph is one of the two reasons that it should be cheaper (the other is sharing hangar rash)

I'm reading this right?
The community hangar costs MORE than a T?
Your 3rd paragraph is one of the two reasons that it should be cheaper (the other is sharing hangar rash)
I don't know about the one Fearless is in but one of the big benefits of community hangars is that many of them are heated.

Back