How cruel: Cirrus

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
Got a card in the mail today saying...

"CIRRUS cordially invites you to visit our premium Mobile Showroom, and expandable 53-foot semi-trailer, for you to discover, see, touch and try the latest advanced technologies of CIRRUS aircraft. Open house to be held at: San Antonio International (KSAT) Million Air San Antonio."

It's bad enough that I will NEVER be able to afford one of these (probably not even just the avionics they are going to let me "see, touch and try") but do they have to rub it in by sending me a card to remind me???

Oh, and "A limited number of demonstraton Flights are available".. for those that can afford one no doubt. hmph. If only I could win that megamillion lotto tonight (you have to buy a ticket to win that though..don't ya) :D

ausrere said:
Got a card in the mail today saying...

"CIRRUS cordially invites you to visit our premium Mobile Showroom, and expandable 53-foot semi-trailer, for you to discover, see, touch and try the latest advanced technologies of CIRRUS aircraft. Open house to be held at: San Antonio International (KSAT) Million Air San Antonio."

It's bad enough that I will NEVER be able to afford one of these (probably not even just the avionics they are going to let me "see, touch and try") but do they have to rub it in by sending me a card to remind me???

Oh, and "A limited number of demonstraton Flights are available".. for those that can afford one no doubt. hmph. If only I could win that megamillion lotto tonight (you have to buy a ticket to win that though..don't ya) :D

I got one, too. It promptly went in the trash. :(

I'd be going to this, but I had a prior commitment that I have to be at.

Join Adam Aircraft for Lunch and an Update on the A500 and A700 Aircraft

Dear James Dean, What: Adam Aircraft Company Update When: Thursday, February 23rd from Noon - 1:30pm Where: TAC Air
Eppley Field
3737 Orville Plaza
Omaha, NE 68110
402.422.6633 Luncheon will be provided.
RSVP:

Simon Maina
Regional Sales Manager, Northwest
12876 East Adam Aircraft Circle
Englewood, CO 80112
Direct: 303-708-7824
Cell: 303-818-8950

I just now tossed yet another "invitation" to fly a Columbia 400. Cirrus--get 'em about 4-5 times a year.

Those high gloss, full color unsolicited mailers are expensive.

Lisa:

Don't be so broke up over this. I've flown one -- it ain't that much fun to fly. I wouldn't trade my old Tiger for a new Cirrus any day of the week. Well, maybe I would, but only to turn it over and buy a new G1000 Tiger, and a little tail-draggin' 160 HP Yankee with the change for some really fun flyin' when I've got no particular place to go.

Ron

Ron Levy said:
I've flown one -- it ain't that much fun to fly. I wouldn't trade my old Tiger for a new Cirrus any day of the week.

Ron, have you flown a Diamond DA40? I wonder how it compares to the Tiger, as they seem to be like competition in the marketplace.

Ron Levy said:
Lisa:

Don't be so broke up over this. I've flown one -- it ain't that much fun to fly. I wouldn't trade my old Tiger for a new Cirrus any day of the week. Well, maybe I would, but only to turn it over and buy a new G1000 Tiger, and a little tail-draggin' 160 HP Yankee with the change for some really fun flyin' when I've got no particular place to go.

Ron

At least you've got something else to fly...I just think it's funny they waste the advertising dollars to send invitations to me when I'm lucky to get off the ground in a shaby old rental somewhere these days.... one of these days I'll be able to afford "something" with wings.. just not now.. :rolleyes: I'll just keep dreaming over the shiney ads till then though......

Ron Levy said:
Nope, but I'm looking for the chance, as I agree that...

What I like about most of the DA40's they have an avionics suite just about exactly what I would want for my own plane:

Garmin audio, two GPS/navcoms (530/430 or 430/430), 327 xponder, King KAP140 and 55 HSI. Nice stuff...nice nice nice.

Too bad even the early ones are still $160k+...ouch.

Ron Levy said:
Nope, but I'm looking for the chance, as I agree that...
Eagerly awaiting longer days and warmer weather. I look forward to trading rides with Ron. I'm still looking for a nice '77 Tiger with GNS430 to park next to my Diamond :)

jdevine said:
Eagerly awaiting longer days and warmer weather. I look forward to trading rides with Ron. I'm still looking for a nice '77 Tiger with GNS430 to park next to my Diamond :)
Airplane's in for annual next week. After that, let's talk.

Gee, I thought William Barnhill's GF was gonna buy us one :D

ausrere said:
I just think it's funny they waste the advertising dollars to send invitations to me...
As they say, half of all advertising dollars are wasted, but the advertisers don't know which half. :dunno:

-Rich

Bill Jennings said:
Ron, have you flown a Diamond DA40? I wonder how it compares to the Tiger, as they seem to be like competition in the marketplace.

Personally, I think the Tiger is a nicer airplane to fly. The DA-40 is stable, it is NOT nimble, stick forces are much higher than I am acustomed to. The one I used to fly had seveal avionics issues as well, but that could be from multiple factors. The Tiger canopy is also much nicer. The DA-40 is hot not just on the ground but in flight as well. I just wish the Tiger would come with a dang stick and retractable gear.

Henning said:
I just wish the Tiger would come with a dang stick and retractable gear.
I have seen Grummans in which the yoke was replaced by a little stub stick on the end of the tube the yoke had been mounted on, but I don't think that's quite the same. However, there was one Tiger built as an experiment by the factory in Savannah with a retractable nose wheel (50% of the gear drag is in that one wheel). The wheel was mounted on a specially designed engine mount and tucked up in the engine compartment behind/below the engine. They also put a 200HP TIO-360 and CS prop on that one -- it really climbed all the way to the flight levels.

The test plane was later converted to a stock Tiger configuration and sold, but they didn't trash the mount. Last I heard, that engine mount was hanging on the wall in the back of the maintenance hangar at Brookville Aero in Brookville OH. Offers were considered welcome, but the 337 and field approval are your problem, not theirs.

Ron Levy said:
Lisa:

Ron

Grumman is a great bird. Cirrus flys like a cheap computer joystick. IMO

ausrere said:

You don't pay for the demo flight, and you don't have to actually be able to afford a Cirrus... Just pretend that you can and that you're interested in buying. :D

Back