How Bumpy Was It? / Near Flock-Strike [xpost]

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Is was so bumpy, that an airliner (Lufhansa something or other) had to advise ATC that they would be deviating plus or minus 200 feet. They were at my altitude for a lot of that time, and I can assure you, I was getting my a@@ kicked in the Skyhawk today. I actually started to feel sick to my stomach, and that never happens to me! Funny thing was, the winds on the ground weren't so bad--just gusting to 17.

It was FDK-OKV-FDK. All my landings were fine today, except the last when I couldn't believe how black my forward vision was getting: a flock of black birds took off as I was 50 feet AGL, and then ANOTHER flock took off when I was in the flare. I just never saw the other flock on the runway. There were so many birds in the first bunch (maybe 200), and they all took off together, I never would have thought there would be another, similarly-sized bunch. In the flare, I added power, leveled off, began a turn to the left of the runway, and just said to myself, I can't maneuver any more than this or it will get dangerous. The second flock cleared shortly, though, and I flared, ballooned (probably because I had too much airspeed), reflared, and then settled down nicely.

Then I went to the bathroom and peed a long time.

Last edited:
No fun at all in those conditions....

I went about 200 miles across NM and Arizona like that one day, fierce winds out of the west. Disconnect altitude hold on the autopilot, and accept some deviations.

That is interesting. I was thinking that I wouldn't engage the autopilot. For a brief moment, I thought I'd try it out. The plane I flew today, though, doesn't have an alt hold. So, then I thought that it would be better practice for me anyway to just fly the durn thing. I even did some slow flight after I cancelled. I didn't fly below 50 KIAS, though, because with the bumps, I was having multiple mini-stalls.

I was over Heber Springs, AR yesterday at 6500 and had to break right to avoid a large flock of what looked like canadian geese flying opposite direction. The birds on the left side of the vee broke right and dove about the same time as I maneuvered. I wish I had had the camera. Don't they know the regs for cruising altitudes??? !

Ben, in real bumpy conditions you often get better control by not having the A/P on. However, in real bumpy conditions, you may want to use the heading or nav-mode of an autopilot to give your arms a rest or to write down IFR clearances, etc.

I would not use altitude hold, however, in conditions where I expect lots of severe vertical deviations. V-Hold can over-correct, it can leave you uncomfortably nose high or low, etc. V-Hold will see a serious drop in altitude as being too low, and correct by putting nose-up (and vice-versa). If the limits are not set right, you could end up in a stall. IMHO, it's better to fly the attitude and accept the altitude deviations.

wsuffa said:
Ben, in real bumpy conditions you often get better control by not having the A/P on. However, in real bumpy conditions, you may want to use the heading or nav-mode of an autopilot to give your arms a rest or to write down IFR clearances, etc.

I would not use altitude hold, however, in conditions where I expect lots of severe vertical deviations. V-Hold can over-correct, it can leave you uncomfortably nose high or low, etc. V-Hold will see a serious drop in altitude as being too low, and correct by putting nose-up (and vice-versa). If the limits are not set right, you could end up in a stall. IMHO, it's better to fly the attitude and accept the altitude deviations.
Thanks! That's what I'd been taught, too.

Back