How bad is storing your plane on tie downs and not in a hangar?

Why would anyone use a radio at an uncontrolled field (whatever the heck that means)

Oh, you mean non-towered airport. Radios can come in handy at those, if you happen to have one.

That way you can say AAITAPA!

Why would anyone use a radio at an uncontrolled field (whatever the heck that means)

Oh, you mean non-towered airport. Radios can come in handy at those, if you happen to have one...
Are you one of those people who think the FAA gets to dictate how we talk? ;)

My big T hangar at New Albany, MS (M72) is $75. I may have to move.

d95d09019e5014ca7c65953ee5b894b5.jpg

Interesting thread. I'd have no choice at my home airport in the Bay Area. No hangars available, and if they are available, then they'd be so expensive I'm not sure it's worth it. @ircphoenix was right... that savings would pay for a lot of maintenance.

Yeah, if I buy a plane, I'll be getting a cover because of that problem.

A lot depends on location.

Generally speaking an airplane will store better in dry climates like the southwest than damp coastal areas like the southeast. I would NEVER 'store' an airplane outside here in coastal VA or any any coastal area south. New England fares a little better, but it's still rough.

Yeah, but the SW makes up for dryness with beau coup wind!
FLG was flirting with 45 kt winds yesterday and had acres of aircraft (including the expensive stuff) tied with cargo straps all over the ramp.
And the wind is usually much worse than a little rain or humidity --- especially when emulsified with desert sand/dust.
But then, you can emulate "The Big Boys" who only use hangars for MX activity and spend the rest of their non-flying time sitting on the ramps (and not even tied)

Lots of planes are stored outside and manage to survive, even, gasp!, "fabric"'planes.

I always hangar my stuff, just for peace of mind and also because I have a few cars and other toys, so it's my garage.

So, hangar is obviously the top choice, but if your plane has to hang outside for a year or so, as long as you get some basic covers and do common sense stuff like proper tied downs and pitot covers, you'll survive ;)

Also talk to local folks about hangars, I've had my planes at airports with no official openings, but I've always managed to get/share/sublet a hangar no problem.

Why should a plane be in a hanger?

is

Just be glad that cows don't fly...

The closest airport to my house, which is 10 minutes away, does not have hangars or fuel. The next airport south is another 9 minutes down the road. The extra drive is worth it to me to have my plane hangared.

If you don't hangar, like others have said, get a good cover.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 27
Lots of planes are stored outside and manage to survive, even, gasp!, "fabric"'planes.
Again, it comes down to your definition of 'stored'. It may be semantics, but what a owner means by 'stored' matters more than whether you put a cover on the airplane.

If by stored, you simply mean tied down outside when you aren't flying it, then yes, the airplane will indeed do fine as long as it gets regular use. But, if you mean 'stored' as in 'I need to park this thing while I wait for OKC to process my medical SI or while I go out of the country for a few months', then you are really risking your investment in many parts of the country.

Again, it comes down to your definition of 'stored'. It may be semantics, but what a owner means by 'stored' matters more than whether you put a cover on the airplane.

If by stored, you simply mean tied down outside when you aren't flying it, then yes, the airplane will indeed do fine as long as it gets regular use. But, if you mean 'stored' as in 'I need to park this thing while I wait for OKC to process my medical SI or while I go out of the country for a few months', then you are really risking your investment in many parts of the country.

Very true

What is the main issue for a plane that isn't being flown? Engine corrosion? If so, how would a hangar help that?

What is the main issue for a plane that isn't being flown? Engine corrosion? If so, how would a hangar help that?
Around here in coastal VA....everything corrodes. And hangars if not well sealed are no cure all, although they help.

From what I see around here and airports along the east coast, I'd honestly be more worried about structural corrosion. When moisture gets inside the skin in this environment and sits, bad stuff happens.

Even when it isn't raining, airplanes in humid environments will often collect condensation.

Around here in coastal VA....everything corrodes. And hangars if not well sealed are no cure all, although they help.

From what I see around here and airports along the east coast, I'd honestly be more worried about structural corrosion. When moisture gets inside the skin in this environment and sits, bad stuff happens.

Even when it isn't raining, airplanes in humid environments will often collect condensation.
OK, so that brings up my next question, which is "Why is it better for the plane if it's being flown?" I would think that structural corrosion would be the same whether it's being flown or not.

OK, so that brings up my next question, which is "Why is it better for the plane if it's being flown?" I would think that structural corrosion would be the same whether it's being flown or not.
For one, the moisture doesn't collect and sit as long. For another, airplanes that are flown regularly get regular attention and minor issues get addressed before they become big problems.

But you do bring up a valid point: in some areas, even a hangar isn't a cure-all if you don't regularly attend to the airplane. I guarantee that if I didn't periodically check on my Waco during the winter, it would be in bad shape by Spring.

For one, the moisture doesn't collect and sit as long. For another, airplanes that are flown regularly get regular attention and minor issues get addressed before they become big problems.
How many pilot/owners will find structural corrosion between annuals? how often do you open and inspect for it?

How many pilot/owners will find structural corrosion between annuals? how often do you open and inspect for it?

Depends on a lot of things already mentioned. We see a lot of corrosion on the airframes at annuals here.

Four months of the year ,I store outside. Means I wax the airplane frequently,and have full custom Bruce covers,which are due for replacement. Couldn't afford the hangar costs ,if one was available,from the north east.
I live in North East, and planning to leave my Cessna 150 outside, do you think it will be ok? Almost there is no hangar in NY, at least I can not find one, plus it is pretty old airplane.

I live in North East, and planning to leave my Cessna 150 outside, do you think it will be ok? Almost there is no hangar in NY, at least I can not find one, plus it is pretty old airplane.

I keep my 150 outside in the Adirondacks about half of the year, and share hangar space from Nov or Dec until May 1st, when I move back outside again. Grass runway, too much snow yo fly year ‘round, do it works for me. Get a cabin cover from Bruce’s Custom Covers with extended sides to cover the gas caps from rain.

My 140 lives outside year round, no problems. +1 to Bruce's covers. Where in NY?

I ordered canopy cover extended to gas caps for Cessna 150, should I also order full engine cover instead of ordering just engine plugs?

Concord NH. Hangars are unobtainium, waiting list is years long. From what I hear, if you do get one, plan on 1 AMU per month minimum. I keep my plane on a tie down from April through November with a Bruce's cover, costs me $50 / month. Over the winter it goes into the heated community hangar which runs me $350 / month. If we are expecting bad WX like a hurricane or hail, I call and they put it in the hangar for me @ $60 a day.

The biggest thing about having an aircraft outdoors is it gets difficult to fly it half the year. In the winter its cold, you have to preheat the engine and get all the snow/frost/slush off the thing. In the summer it gets hot from the sun. Any local animal can and will make a home in it, making a more stringent preflight an absolute necessity. And if you're anywhere near the coast you could be corroding your aircraft to death. Seems like a poor way to treat a sizable investment.

AC paint simply has not advanced as it should. A color/clear coat will take decades of UV and not fade. But i dont know any clear coat finish that is approved.

With the proper paint, the only thing left is temp swings and physical damage. Most hangers are not heated, but have power for heaters. I don't know of anybody running a cabin / engine heater 24/7.

Most airports take federal money and that obligated them to rules that you need to enforce. No ac in a hanger? Kick them out etc.

Hangers are pure profit for airports. If there is space get a group together and build on and lease it back to the airport or sonesuch.

My 180 was painted in single stage Imron and parked outside in Alaska for 19 years before it was hangared. The paint looks brand new.

My interior and instruments don’t suffer from temp swings, and they’ve seen lots.

UV exposure and hail are the big two problems for anything parked outside. Mitigate those and you should be fine.

My 180 was painted in single stage Imron and parked outside in Alaska for 19 years before it was hangared. The paint looks brand new.

My interior and instruments don’t suffer from temp swings, and they’ve seen lots.

UV exposure and hail are the big two problems for anything parked outside. Mitigate those and you should be fine.

Imron is basically a 1K polyurathane paint, chemically inert, UV resistant... all the goodies. Being a 1K you cannot build up that thick clear coat... but its a good trade off over 'factory' paint.

Just being curious, as my local airport doesn't appear to have any hangars.

I know what happens to boats stored outside, I imagine a plane is worse.
If it's your only choice you should at least cover it. There are several companies that make covers customized for your plane. there might be other things you can do depending on your location.
ask at your local FBO or discuss with your A & P.

I ordered canopy cover extended to gas caps for Cessna 150, should I also order full engine cover instead of ordering just engine plugs?

Insulated engine/cowl covers help with pre-heating, otherwise a plain cover is fine. Empennage/tail covers would be nice if you’re in an area that gets snow/ice.

AC paint simply has not advanced as it should. A color/clear coat will take decades of UV and not fade. But i dont know any clear coat finish that is approved.

With the proper paint, the only thing left is temp swings and physical damage. Most hangers are not heated, but have power for heaters. I don't know of anybody running a cabin / engine heater 24/7.

Most airports take federal money and that obligated them to rules that you need to enforce. No ac in a hanger? Kick them out etc.

Hangers are pure profit for airports. If there is space get a group together and build on and lease it back to the airport or sonesuch.

I know people who run their engine sump heaters 24/7 in winter. One of them has done so since overhaul and they have >2200 hours of the engine without a problem, and the plane flys < 200 hours a year.

Clear coat aircraft paint has been around for over 20 years.

upload_2021-12-10_13-39-29.jpeg

You must not be a paint guy. There’s plenty of them. Dad uses Imron AF740 often.

Back