How bad is a denial?

A

anonymous

I had some testing scheduled in a week that the FAA requested for a deferred application, and that appointment is now been canceled. I’ve already requested an extension from the FAA since I’m toward the end of the 30 days their letter gave me, but I don’t realistically see myself getting this done with the restrictions currently in place and forthcoming. The doctor doing the testing is not rescheduling appointments for an indefinite period, and traveling to another seems like a bad idea at this point in time. Looks like a denial is in my future.

How bad is this, exactly? I know I have to report it on every application for the rest of my life, but does it really matter? Does the AME/FAA just ask for an explanation? Will “I didn’t realize a pandemic was going to shut down the country when I applied, so I couldn't get the Cogscreen-AE done,” do for an explanation?

Pinging Doctor's Lou and Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

Looks like a denial is in my future

I've seen both of our intrepid doctor's address a denial due to not making the deadline in threads past. I don't know the full details, but I recall that there is still a small candle of hope.

If it was me, I'd be communicating the HIMS AME managing/sponsoring the case about the issue. Ask him/or her to talk to the FAA on my behalf about the timing issue and see what extensions can be provided.

Pinging Doctor's Lou and Bruce for their input. @lbfjrmd @bbchien

I've seen both of our intrepid doctor's address a denial due to not making the deadline in threads past. I don't know the full details, but I recall that there is still a small candle of hope.

If it was me, I'd be communicating the HIMS AME managing/sponsoring the case about the issue. Ask him/or her to talk to the FAA on my behalf about the timing issue and see what extensions can be provided.

My extensive search here turned up Dr. Bruce calling it "the death of a HIMS evaluation." I suppose I was hoping a national emergency would be considered an extenuating circumstance, but this is the FAA we're dealing with.

Which sucks, because my options are pretty limited, if not non-existent. Obviously tomorrow will bring new and better information, but getting on a plane for an evaluation in the next few days doesn't show great judgment, which I'm sure is a part of the evaluation to begin with...

It happened to me before. I can't get the report from my cardiologist in time and they denied my case. I later gathered all the documents they required, redid the exam and got my SI approved. It was a HIMS case as well.

It will definitely kill your option for doing glider or BasicMed (if you have a third class already). It will further complicate your case if your current SI is about to expire. But if you are just starting and your goal is more than a third class, don't panic and just get all the work done then try again.

Just my opinion though. I hope you get lucky too.

Thanks. Upon further reflection, I probably won't reapply apply, since I've already spend a few thousand on evaluations that won't be current when this all ends. It's devastating, to say the least. I got better, did everything right, and it's all going to fall apart at the end for reasons outside my control.

But good to know for everyone else that it's not a big deal.

It will definitely kill your option for doing glider or BasicMed (if you have a third class already).
A denial does not impact your ability to fly gliders as long as you don't presently have a condition that would make you unable to safely operate a glider. This is a different standard from eligible to receive a medical certificate.

Upon further reflection, I probably won't reapply apply, since I've already spend a few thousand on evaluations that won't be current when this all ends. It's devastating, to say the least. I got better, did everything right, and it's all going to fall apart at the end for reasons outside my control.

You don't have to surrender yet? If you really want it, don't give up so easy. First, find another doctor if at all possible. If you find one away from your area, you don't necessarily have to get on a plane to get there. I just drove a 1,000 mile trip in a day to get what I needed done. If you really just can't find a doctor, I don't think anybody can say for sure that the FAA won't be making some exceptions due to this unprecedented event. The government is already scrambling to make concessions for everybody impacted including certain deadline extensions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back