How are the fields around Wonewoc?

Clark1961

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Display name:
So what are the conditions in the frozen northish part of the country this time of year? A buddy just bought a Bonanza based at 4D1 (at least I think it's there, it may be at another nearby airport) and I may help him pick it up. Probably an out Saturday, back Sunday kinda trip as long as weather cooperates.

So what are the conditions in the frozen northish part of the country this time of year? A buddy just bought a Bonanza based at 4D1 (at least I think it's there, it may be at another nearby airport) and I may help him pick it up. Probably an out Saturday, back Sunday kinda trip as long as weather cooperates.

Yikes - I went to 4D1 once. There were probably 50 aircraft there, and not a damn one of 'em was airworthy. Not sure of the current field conditions, but I got the feeling that the field didn't get much traffic at all (there's really nothing around there, no FBO, etc), so I would guess it is not plowed in the winter. You might have to wait until April or so, we've still got LOTS of snow. When the snow's gone, we'll have a month or so of mud, but sometime in April the grass runways will be useable again.

There's only one hangar at HBW, and really no ramp to speak of, so I doubt it's there… Might want to find out for sure where it is. :yes:

BTW, 4D1 is only 50nm from the home 'drome, let me know when you're gonna be there and I'll meet up with you if I'm in town. Or maybe you'd like a lift from MSN to 4D1 if you're airlining in?

Last edited:
Looks like the aircraft is at 4D1. The current owner has offered to fly it for delivery so it sounds like the airport has been plowed. I'm guessing that plowed turf is something akin to a skating rink with ruts or worse.

Kent, I'll let you know more when I know more. I'm sure you know a good local spot for fried cheese and brews.:D

Well, trip canceled. Alternate plans were made for aircraft delivery.

It woulda been a nice out-n-back trip in the Dakota.:(

I'm guessing that plowed turf is something akin to a skating rink with ruts or worse.

Negative. I landed on a plowed turf runway last weekend. Flattened grass, only a few bumps, and hard as a rock. This private strip has activity year-round except the muddy springtime. Any airport could be worse though of course, so IMO a call to the airport manager or someone else familiar is mandatory.

Back