How are "new posts" determined?

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Now that I'm reading the boards from both my laptop and my iPhone, I've noticed that sometimes it'll mark things I've already read on the other device as unread, and sometimes it'll mark things I haven't seen on either as read. How does the system know which posts are new? Once I know that, hopefully I can debug on my own. :yes:

I read at home and in the car. I don't have that problem so I'm thinking the board's software must be tracking read threads.

Well..... it doesn't know if you aren't logged in. Make sure you're logged in on both. If you're not logged in it has no idea that you're the same person accessing from two different devices.

Besides that, I'm not sure if the board uses cookies stored on each device to store what you've read or if it stored read status in it's own device.

Either way, first step is to make sure you log on before reading any threads.

I'm not sure how VB does it, I haven't broke down and bought it yet but I have been studying open source forum software.

In the database mode we're using some software packages keep a record of each post read by user id and post number.

Joe

Well..... it doesn't know if you aren't logged in. Make sure you're logged in on both. If you're not logged in it has no idea that you're the same person accessing from two different devices.

Besides that, I'm not sure if the board uses cookies stored on each device to store what you've read or if it stored read status in it's own device.

Either way, first step is to make sure you log on before reading any threads.
It can't be cookies. Between access using the laptop I'm on at home or the one in the car, use on the board is seemless. It has to be controlled by the board.

As far as log on, I have it set to automatically log me on as soon as I access the web site. I don't see a need to secure the access from two computers I use.

It can't be cookies. Between access using the laptop I'm on at home or the one in the car, use on the board is seemless. It has to be controlled by the board.

Ok. That would lead me to believe that he isn't logging in before he starts reading threads... like I said in my first post.

Back