How about Grass?

Bob Bement

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Bement
Do you like to land on grass strips? Or how about dirt? It seems like most of my landings here in Eastern Oregon are either on one or the other. My younger brother Roger moved close to Baker City Or. and luck would have it his neighbor, about 3/4 mile away built an airstrip on his place. It is on a ridge top and quite a bit upslope, but it is nice and smooth and he has some grass growing. I landed there one day with a couple friends, and the owner, Rod was there, so I asked him if he would like to go for a look see over his place. He of course said he would so off we went. This short video is of us coming back for a landing on his strip. My friend stayed behind with my camera and took this video of my landing. www.youtube.com/skybobb Rods airport BakerCity, is the video. Bob :)

Grass is the best! I grew up on grass strips - had one on our farm. I love little grass airports and private strips. Pavement wears out my tires! B)

i love grass, but have never had the chance to land on dirt.

Careful. If the feds catch you with grass, they WILL bust you! And there goes your ticket!

Oh, you mean like fescue! I love landing on grass strips. Like Tony, though, I've never had the chance to land on dirt, though I have landed on the beach once, and it was fun!

Awesome videos, Bob!

I love the one at Big Creek -- "We're gonna fly up the canyon to find a wide spot to turn around in." Love it!!

Almost got to finally land on something other than pavement this summer in the Champ, but couldn't seem to find little Jacumba (gravel strip right on the US/Mexico border). :redface:

But I'm scheduled to do a Cub checkout at Andover this month- I assume (and hope!) we'll be flying off the grass there (or what's left of it now)... no snow before then; pleeeez... no snow... :D

I love grass strips and my wife will always request a grass strip when I let her choose where to go. I was lucky to be trained at a country airport by an instructor who taught a lot of starving farmers. Many had their own strips and allowed my instructor to use them.
I fear a lot of new pilots will never know the pleasure of a soft grass landing. Many schools dress their instructors with dork bars to look professional then ban operations on grass and when it is windy.

I love grass strips and my wife will always request a grass strip when I let her choose where to go. I was lucky to be trained at a country airport by an instructor who taught a lot of starving farmers. Many had their own strips and allowed my instructor to use them.
I fear a lot of new pilots will never know the pleasure of a soft grass landing. Many schools dress their instructors with dork bars to look professional then ban operations on grass and when it is windy.

I have seen this topic on several forums about no grass strips, no flying when the wind is blowing and no actual IFR for instrument training. It is a shame. Some of the pilots that flew rented aircraft into Gastons had to land at KBPK Mountain Home Ark. on asphalt. The FBO where they rented said no grass strip period. Gastons has a great grass strip, If you haven't seen it, I have one with my other videos ( Gastons landing with Bob & Bec) a landing there with my son and daughter. My son is running the camera. Bob

Back