Houston KEYQ to Dallas KADS

osaleh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
omar
Hi everyone,

I have a trip to Dallas next Thursday to attend a conference. The conference will be held in a hotel in DFW Intl. So i chose KADS Addison to fly to. Do not want to fly to DFW with my private pilot cert :D So, other than the typical planning, any advice from pilots who are familiar with Addison and surrounding area?

thx

Hi everyone,

I have a trip to Dallas next Thursday to attend a conference. The conference will be held in a hotel in DFW Intl. So i chose KADS Addison to fly to. Do not want to fly to DFW with my private pilot cert :D So, other than the typical planning, any advice from pilots who are familiar with Addison and surrounding area?

thx

IFR or VFR?

BTW- DFW charges $75, but the fuel is very reasonable. Could be a wash vs. KADS.

1. Buy as little gas as you can get by with- it's spendy at ADS. All FBOs are good.

2. Tune in the Localizer- it's surrounded by developed city and hard to spot.

3. You must call Approach inbound, at least 10 miles out. Better to come in with flight following.

4. No matter what google maps tells you, from Addison, pick up the Tollway north to the Bush Turnpike west to get to DFW, since 635 (LBJ Freeway) is under major construction from I35E to US75.

listen to SPIKE!!! HE KNOWS! definitely right about the driving directions!

on another note... consider KRBD. It's a VERY nice airport. Ambassador is an EXCELLENT FBO. Air traffic is never a problem. Not sure what the drive to DFW is like. Havent ever done that direction... Its probably 30 min...

Are you going to be in town long enough for us to call a dinner gathering get together?

The Hard 8 in Coppell isn't too far away.

I like flying in to Arlington (KGKY) from the south. Very little congestion and the folks at Harrison Aviation are great. Had the Enterprise rental car waiting and even drove it up to my plane as I parked and off I went.

Depending upon where my meetings are I try to position my self along TX 360 which allows me relatively easy access to Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, etc. I can go North/South around or thru DFW airport driving along 360 or Toll 161, or East/West using I 20, I 30 or TX 183.

Harrison is easy on the fees and their prices aren't terrible. If the weather turns bad, they will put you plane in a hangar. I was pleased with my experience.

The next time up, I will be primarily in the north Dallas area around The Colony, etc. so I will probably go into Addison (KADS). I still try to position myself (hotel/airport) along the same corridors.

+1 or GPM. Even though I'm based at ADS I wouldn't fly there from south of the metro-mess unless the destination was across the street from the airport, especially since the increase in training activity. Just waiting in line for take-off is reason enough to go elsewhere.

I like flying in to Arlington (KGKY) from the south. Very little congestion and the folks at Harrison Aviation are great. Had the Enterprise rental car waiting and even drove it up to my plane as I parked and off I went.

Depending upon where my meetings are I try to position my self along TX 360 which allows me relatively easy access to Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, etc. I can go North/South around or thru DFW airport driving along 360 or Toll 161, or East/West using I 20, I 30 or TX 183.

Harrison is easy on the fees and their prices aren't terrible. If the weather turns bad, they will put you plane in a hangar. I was pleased with my experience.

The next time up, I will be primarily in the north Dallas area around The Colony, etc. so I will probably go into Addison (KADS). I still try to position myself (hotel/airport) along the same corridors.

Hi everyone,

thx

Hey there! I did all of my training at Weiser and have since moved to Dallas living next to KADS. When you come in as mentioned you'll need to listen to the ATIS and then contact approach, usually 124.3, but it changes. They'll give you a transponder code and give you vectors to the field.

+1 or GPM. Even though I'm based at ADS I wouldn't fly there from south of the metro-mess unless the destination was across the street from the airport, especially since the increase in training activity. Just waiting in line for take-off is reason enough to go elsewhere.

I've never waited in line more than 4 minutes.

Things have changed. Not long ago I'd expect to be 10 back at the 8:00 push. Now most of my waiting is for an IFR release. VFR is pretty quick most of the time.

I believe a lot of this is the reduced number of foreign students and some reduction in corporate flying.

Not long, so maybe that has to do with it... and I'm never flying out at the rush.

Even if you can get direct KDAL-KADS inbound from the south, the flight is longer, and with no gain in ground travel time or other benefit. If you fly east and do the big loop to 15, it's substantially more time-consuming.

i am going VFR. only staying few hours. The thought of landing at DFW is scary so not even considering it. So from what some of you said, KADS is a bad choice because of construction? is Meacham International any better to get to DFW International within a reasonable time?

i am going VFR. only staying few hours. The thought of landing at DFW is scary so not even considering it. So from what some of you said, KADS is a bad choice because of construction? is Meacham International any better to get to DFW International within a reasonable time?

Well another .02 There is also construction in Grapevine that will slow you down coming from Meacham on 114 (Don't even think about the 820/183 route), either is a long drive to begin with 1 hour no traffic. I would go into Addison and follow Spike's advice for driving directions, you'll zip over to DFW in 25-30 min. Be on FF well before the Metroplex, you'll probably get direct KDAL direct KADS. Nice scenery on the way in. Simple deal. If you need some suggestions where to park at KADS let me know.

Last edited:
Arlington would be my choice. On the south side of town, easy-in and out, good roads and access to DFW.

Well another .02 There is also construction in Grapevine that will slow you down coming from Meacham on 114 (Don't even think about the 820/183 route), either is a long drive to begin with 1 hour no traffic. I would go into Addison and follow Spike's advice for driving directions, you'll zip over to DFW in 25-30 min. Be on FF well before the Metroplex, you'll probably get direct KDAL direct KADS. Nice scenery on the way in. Simple deal. If you need some suggestions where to park at KADS let me know.

WOW, 100LL at Addison is $7.50/gal. I pay $5.5 at weiser and that is still too expensive. Way to slowly kill GA :mad:

Did you think we were kidding you about ADS being pricey?

WOW, 100LL at Addison is $7.50/gal. I pay $5.5 at weiser and that is still too expensive. Way to slowly kill GA :mad:

Avoid the hwy 114 and 121 interchange and construction at all costs. Even on normal "low" traffic times it's a royal mess.

Wayne's suggestion of Arlington is likely the best option.

Arlington would be my choice. On the south side of town, easy-in and out, good roads and access to DFW.

If you go to Arlington, taxi down to the self serve fuel on the south side and you can save a lot over the FBO.

Yep, call the FBO ahead and they will put you in contact with Enterprise rentals who will have the car waiting for you on arrival. They gave me a brand new Chrysler 300 Hemi. Wow, that was fun to drive. I put about 700 miles on it during the 3 days that I was there driving between Wichita Falls, Fort Worth and Dallas.

Get one of those and it will be quick trip to the hotel at DFW!!!

Just my two cents. Been to ADS twice and Love a few times. Once upon a time there was an FBO that was on the north side of the field right across from FSDO that was always good to me in a puddle jumper. They even brought the bird in the hangar free one night to keep it from icing up.

Used to be associated with the owner or The Men's Wearhouse. Can't remember the name now to save my life, but it's a valid option and about the same traffic as Hobby.

The OP could get in there without too much trouble and only once have I been asked to slam dunk an arrival there.

Go south...meaning Arlington or GP. The traffic/construction at the north entry is a mess

I waited 12 minutes yesterday just to cross from west side to east side. Training tower... Grrrr!

Just my two cents. Been to ADS twice and Love a few times. Once upon a time there was an FBO that was on the north side of the field right across from FSDO that was always good to me in a puddle jumper. They even brought the bird in the hangar free one night to keep it from icing up.

Used to be associated with the owner or The Men's Wearhouse. Can't remember the name now to save my life, but it's a valid option and about the same traffic as Hobby.

The OP could get in there without too much trouble and only once have I been asked to slam dunk an arrival there.

The FBO you describe is (was) Regal Aviation, and the service you describe is absolutely what they delivered. Amazing. It has changed hands, is now Textar. Have no idea how they are now.

Another vote for KGPM. Less busy than KGKY and closer to DFW to boot. Call Aviator Air and see if they can arrange a rental car or cab. Easy ingress and egress to the south.

Back