Houston Area PIPREP - Awesome Controllers

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
Got out there with a friend early this morning to take him on his first GA fight. We departed Sugar Land Regional (KSGR) just after 8AM and headed southbound towards the shore. I requested VFR flight following with Ground Control and advised I'd like to fly the south/southeast heading for a while before turning direct to Galveston (KGLS). Shortly after takeoff and establishing contact with Approach they turned me direct to KGLS - we mostly followed Highway 6 all the way there. As I neared the airport, they asked my intentions - I was planning to do a touch and go at KGLS, then head north to see the San Jac monument, then head E->W across the VFR corridoor above I-10. As I approached KGLS, I needed some help spotting the field and requested vectors from the tower, and the super nice controller helped me out there. On the go, they had me switch back to Approach frequency and picked up my flight following on same squawk code - very accommodating controllers guided me around traffic in the area, cleared me into Bravo with a 2500ft restriction and stayed with me as I went across I-10 with views of Downtown, eventually having me turn to Sugar Land direct when I was near West Belt/I-10 and descend at my discretion. Sadly my landing at KSGR was a bit squirrely due to a botched approach but still safe - more of an ego bruising than anything else. My friend really enjoyed the flight and can't wait to go up again.

I just wanted to share this with the student pilots in the area. I've made the trip to Galveston before but this was my first time going north from there and flying the i-10 route. I was a bit nervous about it but the first class controllers along the way made it a very enjoyable flight.

Back