Hot to reach out and really 'touch' someone <g>

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Looks like this is a good way to go through a bit of ammo <g>

We mounted miniguns to some ground vehicles in RVN; cooling quickly became an issue. Maybe the metallurgy has improved.

http://navlog.org/q_car.wmv

Best,

Dave

Hey, can we paint one of those suburbans white with a green stripe? :yes:

I think you could have one for everyone!

minigun.jpg

Geesh! I been out done!

What does one have to do to meet this wonderful creature; woman of a man's dreams if he's not down range <g> (or paying for the ammo)!!

Best,

Dave

NOW I know what I want for Christmas...:yes:

Wonder if I can add hard points to the 182.

Wonder if I can add hard points to the 182.[/quote]

I want to put hard points on my warrior to carry my Scuba Tanks............
then fly into the ADIZ (think i'd be shot down ) LOL:yes:
Dave G

I think if I saw that coming down the street, I would probably poop my pants.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Oppps! Supposed to be How, not hot in the heading. How does one edit that?
Heavens to mergatroid! foiled again!!

Best,

Dave

Have ya'll checked out some of the hardware they shoot at Knob Creek? There's one guy that shows up with Browning M-2 with the barrell cut down to 18". You ain't seen muzzle blast til you've seen that puppy bark!

I don't understand the point of firing so many rounds so fast and then having short "fire time" due to all that ammo being gone. Can't you do as well with slower bursts, having the ammo last longer and aiming to hit the target? :p

I don't understand the point of firing so many rounds so fast and then having short "fire time" due to all that ammo being gone. Can't you do as well with slower bursts, having the ammo last longer and aiming to hit the target? :p

It's a bit different when dealing with a moving target. You don't aim so much as you "intuit" where your target will be in a few seconds and fire where you think he'll be. Shooting birds is a bit similar, but instead of a long burst you send out a couple hundred "rounds" per shot. I dunno if I'm making myself clear with that though.

Re: How to reach out and really 'touch' someone <g>

It's a bit different when dealing with a moving target. You don't aim so much as you "intuit" where your target will be in a few seconds and fire where you think he'll be. Shooting birds is a bit similar, but instead of a long burst you send out a couple hundred "rounds" per shot. I dunno if I'm making myself clear with that though.
Add tracer rounds and you can "walk" in into the target...

Mike:

I think what you're seeing is more of a demo to 'shock and awe' everyone watching. In reality, one would really have to be careful using this because of possible collateral damage. The person manning this gun could drop more innocents than the original bad guys if not careful.

In the Cobra, we carried between 30 and 45 seconds of ammo. We had two trigger settings 3,000 rpm and 6,000 rpm; later that was changed a bit to slow it down. If we wanted it to last for an entire fire support (ground support) mission, we used 3 or 4 second bursts. That was usually more than enough to engage one target before moving to another. I can't imagine of a need to fire for this length of time for more than the psychological effect on the target. Even in instance where we used these in base defense ops, short bursts were enough to break up any target; even when the 99th horde was in the full frontal attack mode. They'd at least duck for cover and regroup if this was brought to bear.

I agree, tracers can be used to walk to the target, but that can be done pretty quickly and one doesn't need much time on the target with this.

For a role like this is in, maybe it's mainly suppressive to make an escape. Still, it wouldn't take the length of time shown and once on target, short bursts would be fine. I just can't imagine this being unleashed very often. One would have to be out in an open area where the friendlies wouldn't create more carnage than the bad guys.

Now, this (the 7.62mm) was the small mini guy <g>. We also carried a 20mm under the left wing store on some snakes. That caused the bird to yaw when fired. It also had great penetration. The 7.62 was more for troops in the open. The 20mm could penetrate some armor and light bunkers.

Best,

Dave

Sorry I don't have a better pic; I may somewhere, but it's not handy. The 7.62 mini was in the nose and had a 40mm grenade launcher with it in a maneuverable turret. If a bird had the 20mm; it was under the left wing store in place of a rocket pod.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• F9Nov72002.jpg
    F9Nov72002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Sorry I don't have a better pic; I may somewhere, but it's not handy. The 7.62 mini was in the nose and had a 40mm grenade launcher with it in a maneuverable turret. If a bird had the 20mm; it was under the left wing store in place of a rocket pod.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Do you know about what year Bell added the helmet "slaved" aiming of the gun turret to the Cobra? My dad used to tell this great story of him walking through a hanger at Bell one day when they were calbrating one of the first systems and how spooked he got when he realized the gun was following him as he walked along. The tech was watching him walk and the gun followed along like it was supposed too. He used to say he knew what a deer being hunted felt like now. lol.

My brother and I were trying to recall what years some of those old stories took place.

Lisa:

I'm sorry, I really don't. There was work being done on the idea of that when I left active duty in '74. Even though I flew in the Guard for a couple years after that, it was in OH-58s and UH-1s and I wasn't privy to what was going on in R&D.

Best,

Dave

That video is also a great ad for the paint jobs on those GMCs. Those shells had to be hot as hell landing on that roof.

The tech was watching him walk and the gun followed along like it was supposed too. He used to say he knew what a deer being hunted felt like now. lol
I feel the same way around cops.

:goofy:

There was a John Travolta movie with some of this in it. Or, was it Nicholas Cage? Maybe the latter. Regardless, it had some pretty good footage of helo action.

Back