Hot Spot Overkill?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Is it just me, or does marking every single taxiway joining a single runway as a hotspot seem like overkill?

Maybe the diagram needs a single highlighted statement - stay the heck off the runway if yer not cleared!

ADS only has one runway, yet it has more hotspots than some major Class B airports!

Attachments

• Hot Spots.jpg
    Hot Spots.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 74
Maybe Addison it has more than its fair share of inattentive pilots... which would then lead one to believe that they might not even notice all those nice circles at the intersections...

yeah, a bit excessive

Addison is the only place I can recall that always adds, "Do not cross the hold short line," to the taxi instructions.

Maybe that's a reflection on pilots from Dallas....

:D

Several of those are places you wouldn't often use to enter or cross the runway (D,G,H,J) ???

But I notice that none of the intersections on the west side are hot spots. Are bad pilots restricted to the east side of the airport?

Several of those are places you wouldn't often use to enter or cross the runway (D,G,H,J) ???

But I notice that none of the intersections on the west side are hot spots. Are bad pilots restricted to the east side of the airport?

You just gotta watch out for those Eastsiders!

It looks like a simple enough airport....

I don't fly out of ADS regularly, but I understand the problem.

Because of the high volume of traffic and the mix of aircraft, intersection takeoffs are used extensively to efficiently sequence traffic.

My understanding of this hot-spot map is that when the airport was designed, they put the taxiway too close to the runway. The hold-short lines used to be about 1/2 way between the twy and the rwy. A couple of years ago, some pencil-pusher at the FAA noticed that they were too close to the runway safety zone and made the airport move them back right to the taxiway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=KADS&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.489543,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=KADS&hnear=Addison+Airport+(ADS),+4407+N+Beltwood+Pkwy+%23+109,+Dallas,+Texas+75244-3246&ll=32.977492,-96.839156&spn=0.002052,0.004823&t=h&z=18

As a result, any folks who were used to the old layout taxied accross the line creating a flood of 'incursion reports' --> silly 'hot-spot' map.

Back