Hot Air Balloon for the Handicapped - Serena's Song

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
I had an AWESOME experience last night. I helped crew for "Serena's Song" which is one of only 4 (I think) handicapped accessible hot air balloons in the country.

http://wake.mync.com/site/Wake/news...-accessible-hot-air-balloon-comes-to-raleigh/

I have crewed for a hot air balloon team for over 10 years and I have also worked with handicapped people, though not at long. I never really thought of putting 2 and 2 together. Thankfully someone did.

The night was just amazing. Our first passenger had cerebral palsy and man could she maneuver her wheelchair. She backed it up on to the ramp like a pro.

Then we had another passenger who didn't want to come down. He told the pilot..."Let's fly away. Can I go again." His name was Willis. After his flight I walked over to him and asked how he liked his ride and he said he loved it. He then shook my hand and said "My name is Willis. What's yours?" I told him Brook and he smiled and said he said I was the first Brook he had ever met. (I'm blushing at this point). He then asked if "that was my camera". I told him yes. He asked me if he could take a few pictures. I said sure. So I put my camera around his neck (most of you guys know how funny I am about my Nikon. I don't let ANYONE shoot with my Nikon. I think Joe Areeda is the only one that has shot with it other than me and my brother.) After the balloon lifted off...Willis pressed the button - "click!!!!!" Then all of a sudden you hear "I GOT IT!!!!!" His picture turned out really well. Then he had to leave so he shook my hand good-bye.

One of the last passengers we took up, I happen to know his dad. His son has cerebral palsy. The little boy has a twin sister and she was so excited. She screamed "Daddy!!!! I WENT ON A HOT AIR BALLOON!!!!!" It was really awesome.

I took some pictures and will post them on flickr soon.

Back