Hopping rides

Dr. O

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
denny
Took the wife's niece and her husband for a ride today. They are not plane people.
Gave each on a 35-40 minute separate ride. Also took my regular flying buddy out so I had a solid 3 hour day by the end.

The niece surprised me by how almost immediately she was able to see and identify what I was pointing out on the ground. She seemed to keep track of cardinal directions instinctively. Most non experienced passengers can't seem to find much of anything you try to point out and are hopelessly lost after the first 180.

Her husband also surprised me when I turned over the controls to him - like a duck to water. Pitch control was a bit loose for a couple of minutes then steadied right down. He made smooth turns right from the start without any instruction from me. The only question he asked was how steep a turn is normal - I said lean it like your motorcycle and he did.
I'm sitting there thinking - I didn't do that good in the first ten minutes at the controls (of course I was ten years old). I questioned him closely - Nope, he's never held the controls on a plane before.

They had fun. I had fun. A win win.

Now that has to make you feel pretty good, don't it?

Spreadin' the word, one flight at a time...

Took the wife's niece and her husband for a ride today. They are not plane people.
Gave each on a 35-40 minute separate ride. Also took my regular flying buddy out so I had a solid 3 hour day by the end.

The niece surprised me by how almost immediately she was able to see and identify what I was pointing out on the ground. She seemed to keep track of cardinal directions instinctively. Most non experienced passengers can't seem to find much of anything you try to point out and are hopelessly lost after the first 180.

Her husband also surprised me when I turned over the controls to him - like a duck to water. Pitch control was a bit loose for a couple of minutes then steadied right down. He made smooth turns right from the start without any instruction from me. The only question he asked was how steep a turn is normal - I said lean it like your motorcycle and he did.
I'm sitting there thinking - I didn't do that good in the first ten minutes at the controls (of course I was ten years old). I questioned him closely - Nope, he's never held the controls on a plane before.

They had fun. I had fun. A win win.

That sounds nice! I invite people but no one ever takes us up on the invites. :confused:
As a motorcycle safety instructor, I know how people get scared and want as far away from m/c as possible.
I want to have people enjoy the sights, thrills and beauty we do!

Fun isn't it?I had a 9year old nephew I took on a pipeline run in a poorly rigged PA12, you had to stand on a rudder and give opposite stick to fly straight. I turned it over to him and he just popped it right to straight and level at 100' and even followed the pipeline right of way. By the end of the day he could land by himself from the back seat with me just controlling the throttle.

It's always fun to take up someone who has never flown in a small airplane before.you never know when you may start a new aviation career.The more people we introduce to flying the better.

Back