Hood experience

Which begs another question: Can a CFI train someone for commercial if the candidate does not have an IR?

Which begs another question: Can a CFI train someone for commercial if the candidate does not have an IR?
Who else but a CFI can give training for a CP certificate? Or do you mean a CFI with only an ASE rating? If the latter, it would depend on whether or not the candidate already has the 10 hours of instrument training required by 61.129(a)(3)(1) from a CFI with both ASE and IA ratings. If the candidate's only training under instrument conditions is the 3 hours required by 61.109(a)(3), then per 61.195(c) a CFI who also has an IA rating will will have to do those 10 hours. Note the specific wording in 61.195(c):
(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument training for the issuance of an instrument rating, a type rating not limited to VFR, or the instrument training required for commercial pilot and airline transport pilot certificates must hold an instrument rating on his or her pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft used for the training provided.]

Ron, correct me if I'm wrong, but commercial applicants still aren't *required* to have an instrument rating.

Are you saying that 61.195(c) means that the instrument time must be from a CFII?

Ron, correct me if I'm wrong, but commercial applicants still aren't *required* to have an instrument rating.
That's correct, but they are required to have "Ten hours of instrument training using a view-limiting device including attitude instrument flying, partial panel skills, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, and intercepting and tracking navigational systems." Per 61.195(c), that training must be from a CFI with an IA rating.

Are you saying that 61.195(c) means that the instrument time must be from a CFII?
Yes, I am -- the wording of the two regs is pretty clear: ten hours Instrument training is required, and that training must be from an instructor with an instrument instructor rating.

BTW, as written, those ten hours must all be with a view-limiting device, which suggests that time in actual instrument conditions doesn't count unless the trainee is still wearing a hood. Also, since only five hours have to be in an airplane, five hours can be in a sim/FTD/ATD, but again, as the reg is written, a hood must still be worn. Personally, I think that part is an error, and I'll bring it to someone's attention.

Maybe so, but the alternative (not permitting a CFI-ASE to do all the training zero-to-Private) would probably be worse.

The other alternative though would be require all CFI to be CFII... Not that big of a deal since most are anyway and it looks like the FAA is maneuvering to combine the PP&IR. I would be willing to bet that in 10 years SP will be the last VFR rating issued.

Ron, yeah, looking at the rule I guess that makes sense, although, from a purely practical perspective, it would make sense for a CFI without an -I to be able to train a non-instrument CPL student for exactly the same reason it makes sense for PPL.

For those of you with -I, how hard is it? I've been thinking about trying to get it, but I seem to recall getting scared off for some reason (and I haven't instructed in a couple years, so ...).

~ Christopher

For those of you with -I, how hard is it? I've been thinking about trying to get it, but I seem to recall getting scared off for some reason (and I haven't instructed in a couple years, so ...)

It's not that hard. Basically, it's your instrument training done from the right seat while explaining everything. I enjoyed the process of adding the -I and thoroughly enjoy teaching instruments.

LDJ

Originally Posted by EdFred
Yes, they can.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what ratings the CFI has and whether or not the candidate already has the required 10 hours from an instrument instructor.

For those of you with -I, how hard is it? I've been thinking about trying to get it, but I seem to recall getting scared off for some reason (and I haven't instructed in a couple years, so ...)
Depends. If you're an active CFI and you're an active instrument pilot then it's no big deal. But if you're a CFI who hasn't been instrument current in years then it will be a big deal.

Back