honestly, is there any hope for bipolar?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I'm currently a sport pilot and am trying to figure out what the odds of me being able to actually obtain a ppl w/ instrument rating will honestly ever be. I'm willing to jump through hoops, provided there is a precedence for an approval via SI. (Ie: I don't want to give up the sp privileges i have unless there is a good chance).

I'm currently diagnosed Bipolar II, on one medication for it (Lamictal). I'm actually slated to come off of it very soon. I have a new doctor who thinks that I can handle things through therapy, and i'm not sure if that will change anything at all.

What other information do you need?

Bruce,

Thank you for your honest answer. I guess I'll continue become more and more proficient as a sport pilot, and grab a CFI when I need an instrument rating... ;)

Many psychiatrists would recommend lying. It is the most effective way to prevent discrimination.

Bruce,

Thank you for your honest answer. I guess I'll continue become more and more proficient as a sport pilot, and grab a CFI when I need an instrument rating... ;)
Make sure you are discussing your Sport Pilot flying with your doctor and that s/he agrees that you can do so safely.

It is really a question of medical ethics.
Not for the party who takes that doctor's bad advice. For that person, the consequences could be extremely serious. There is also strong potential for third parties to be hurt as a result, and that makes the consequences even more serious.

It is really a question of medical ethics. I would not seek treatment from an unethical medical professional.

The problem comes (at least as I see it) that the condition involves degrees of severity and impairment (we're all bipolar to some degree unless we're dead) but the diagnosis is black and white. One of the reasons I end to avoid going to see MDs is the fear of a black and white diagnosis of a disorder that involves degrees of severity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back