Homeowner: Dedicated trimmer or multipower tool?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
I need a grass trimmer for the home.

I'm inclined to go with a the multipower attachment deals, but it seems to me with the pro-quality name brands I'm leaning toward like Stihl, Echo, Husqvana it costs as much for the tool as it does for the dedicated tools.

I'd make good use of the edger and pruner with an extension handle. I could use a cultivator if it was reasonably heavy duty.

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/kombi.html
http://shop.echo-usa.com/Product/ProductCategory.aspx?Category=proattach

Lowes had a deal with a generic tool maker the tool heads were 20% off with purchase of a Troy-Built attachment capable trimmer, but they all seemed to be lower quality. The tools were like $70-$90.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=90045-65481-TBP6040&lpage=none
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...ry=Trimmer+Parts+&+Accessories&N=0+4294952785

While I'm at it, it looks like the pros use straight shaft vs. curved so I guess that what I want. And I'd lean for 4-cycle vs. 2-cycle to avoid having to mix the fule but it looks like the pros use 2 cycle, I guess for less weight.

AND I'm thinking I'd rather have the bump type string reel vs. the pre-cut ones you stick in, but it looks like they have quick switch ones for the pros.

Any advice?

Last edited:
I have an Echo straight shaft which I attach a Troy Bilt cultivator as the need arises. The equipment has done one heck of a job under extreme use when it is used. I also have a blade which I use for small shrubs and trees.
Overall, I have ZERO complaints with the Echo.

I also have a Husquevarna (sp?) straight shaft weed eater that kicks some serious butt but it is not capable of attachments.

Good luck!

I used the product selector at Stihl and once I said I have more than 1/2 acre, it stopped recommending the multitool. Another reason I need more than a tiny tool.

However, just because I have a lot of area doesn't mean I'm going to crawl all over it. :redface: I need the brushcutter because I have a gulley on the roadside that fills with thick grass and weeds, in fact I'm going to call my neighbor across the street to see if he wants to share a set. He has a huge wooded roadside area full of weeds, too. We may end being better off with a dedicated brush cutter.

Last edited:
Mike, I own both. I have a gas-powered multi-tool (Ryobi, I think) that's worked just fine. I use the bladed brush-hacker a LOT (nice job removing the ivy and the laurel on my mountain property), and I use the tiller attachement on small gardens and lawn areas. The trimmer works fine, too. I also have an electric string trimmer, bump and go, that works great for its purpose.

The multi-tool is cheap enough that I can afford to replace it every few years (if necessary, but has not been needed) for the cost of several other tools. Think of it the same way as you think about a gas grill: the cheaper ones tend to work OK and you can dispose of them every few years for the cost of a Ducane.... but if you need a status symbol....

By the way, I am quite happy with my 10+ year old Stihl chain saw. Only one place to get parts, though.

Dedicated trimmer = lawn man. Sounds about right.

Do you even have a yard? ;)

Mike, my Ryobi broke on me (the connector to one of the tools basically fused.) I have the small snowblower attachment and I think the leafblower that you're welcome to.

Mike, I use a straight shaft, bike handle Stihl trimmer and it's the best I've ever used. It starts reliably, and with the strap that goes over your shoulder to support the weight of the engine, it's much better for my back than one that has a small handle on the shaft. Those seem to require that I bend over more than this type:

FS110_bike.jpg

love my Stihl!
I love my still...wait that is something different...never mind

Mike
I have a regular electric trimmer from Black and Decker that does the job. It is the 2nd one I have had. This one has an auto extender for the lines and replaced the bump one which would always get tangled.

I've had good luck with Stihl and Echo products. I'm not too impressed with the multi-tool concept. Most of the Stihls can accept a brush cutter blade that would take care of your ditch, but geez, be careful with that - it's like a circular saw blade and could do a whole lot of damage to your legs and feet.

As far as edgers go, I have a pretty cheap Black and Decker (some stupid name like Edge Hog, or something) electric that gets the job done. If the edging work has been neglected, rent a gas one to get it in shape, then a cheapo electric used a couple of times a year will keep it up.

I don't think the chainsaw-style pruners on a stick are a very good idea - it's easy to injure trees if you don't know what you're doing.

Trapper John

Mike, I use a straight shaft, bike handle Stihl trimmer and it's the best I've ever used. It starts reliably, and with the strap that goes over your shoulder to support the weight of the engine, it's much better for my back than one that has a small handle on the shaft. Those seem to require that I bend over more than this type:

FS110_bike.jpg

Thanks, Stan, exactly what I was thinking. I was even looking at the trimmers with wheels. I tried the neighbor's Stihl and it was light enough that I thought maybe I shouldn't be concerned but I'd be hauling it for an hour or two in a session.

The local independent tool rental place has Stihl's for rent. I thought I'd try it for one or two 3 hour sessions.

My neighbor offered to lend me his trimmer. He needs a rider mower that's got a maximum 38" deck to fit through his gate. Since neither of us needs to be rushing into blowing money we may be able to boot strap along for a while.

Maybe I'll go for a dedicated trimmer like yours. I'm thinking I could get by with renting an edger or pruner when needed. I might need the brushcutter more often when the weeds are growing like mad.

Last edited:
I love my Stihl Kombi system - I have the trimmer, the edger, and the blower for it. I'm going to buy the hedge trimmer attachment.

I started with cheaper, dedicated tools. None of them worked that well or lasted long. My Stihl's been through several seasons and is great - I can get it serviced (unlike the troy-bilt stuff).

I love my Stihl Kombi system - I have the trimmer, the edger, and the blower for it. I'm going to buy the hedge trimmer attachment.

I started with cheaper, dedicated tools. None of them worked that well or lasted long. My Stihl's been through several seasons and is great - I can get it serviced (unlike the troy-bilt stuff).

:yesnod::cheers:

Thanks, Tim!

Now I gotta see if I can master the secret handshake to get the local Stihl dealers to tell me what the stuff costs. They're nary a hint on online. My neighbor with the Stihl equipment says they all charge list. I gotta try to get them to throw in some extras at least.

At least with Echo you can get some pricing from your local dealer online.

It looks like you have the philosophy like me. I'd rather have it for 10+ years than get a cheaper version every 2-3 years. I expect that the higher quality versions have less niddling aggravations in daily use, too.

Also the expert at the local university extension service pretty much said that hedge trimmers are EEEVIL, at least for those with evergreen hedges like me. Evergreens have a dead zone that never greens up. If you cut the hedge flat you keep getting closer to the dead zone and will eventually have a dead hedge. You're supposed to use bypass shears and trim for a cone or sloping shape to let light get to all the branches.

Dedicated trimmer = lawn man. Sounds about right.

I agree, much more fun flying on the weekends then doing yard work. I did watch them put 6 cy of mulch in yesterday since I'm stuck on crutches!

Mary is all for it since the house clean team comes in every two weeks and takes care of the house. We just vac every other day since we have the pets.

Ok...back to the topic

I had a Troybilt 4-cycle string trimmer and edger. I wanted to avoid mixing gas and consumer reports siad it was good.
(I live in Florida where the growing season is 8 months and edging is an every week thing). The Troybilt did fine as a string trimmer but it didn't have the power to edge St. Augustine. When it stopped running reliably I bought an Echo combination. It's 2-cycle and it's a whole different animal. According to my local mower dealer, who sells both Stihl and Echo, the Stihl consumer vs. commercial models are very different while the Echo consumer uses the same engine and power-train parts as the commercial Echo. It cost about twice as much as the Troybilt, but for my money it's worth it.

I think I'd like to try one of the handlebar versions. While the Echo is much better than the Troybilt, it's still hard on my back.

Hope this helps,
John

Back