Home network w/ Linksys and ActionTec

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Got a laptop for Christmas, so I got wireless working on the ActionTec DSL modem. My desktop connects to the internet via a Linksys wired router which is then wired to the ActionTec. I want to share the printer that is hooked to the desktop so I can print from my wireless laptop. I have 'file and printer sharing' enabled on both the laptop and desktop and "File and Printer Sharing" is allowed in Windows Firewall on both computers (running Windows XP). I also have both computers running on "HOME" workgroup. The computers can't see each other on the network. I'm guessing something in the ActionTec is preventing stuff from coming in from the Linksys side.

So... I have things hooked as follows:

"Internet"
-> ActionTec -> Wireless Laptop
-> Linksys -> Wired Desktop
-> Wired Printer to be shared
Both the ActionTec and Linksys are running as DHCP. Is there a way/should I set up the Linksys so that it's just a hub/switch instead of DHCP/router?

Any ideas on how to make this setup work as a 'home network'?

-Chris

Got a laptop for Christmas, so I got wireless working on the ActionTec DSL modem. My desktop connects to the internet via a Linksys wired router which is then wired to the ActionTec. I want to share the printer that is hooked to the desktop so I can print from my wireless laptop. I have 'file and printer sharing' enabled on both the laptop and desktop and "File and Printer Sharing" is allowed in Windows Firewall on both computers (running Windows XP). I also have both computers running on "HOME" workgroup. The computers can't see each other on the network. I'm guessing something in the ActionTec is preventing stuff from coming in from the Linksys side.

So... I have things hooked as follows:

"Internet"
-> ActionTec -> Wireless Laptop
-> Linksys -> Wired Desktop
-> Wired Printer to be shared
Both the ActionTec and Linksys are running as DHCP. Is there a way/should I set up the Linksys so that it's just a hub/switch instead of DHCP/router?

Any ideas on how to make this setup work as a 'home network'?

-Chris

Connect everything to the inside (switch) part of the inside router. See my previous explanation.

Connect everything to the inside (switch) part of the inside router. See my previous explanation.

Ditto what Mike said. FYI I had a problem where I could not see the printer from the wireless laptop. My setup was Internet-->cable modem-->Wireless router-->hardwired desktop. I could access the internet from the wireless laptop but I could not see the desktop or the printer.

The solution found by trial and error: disable windows firewall, both computers. run network setup wizard, both computers. Test printer (works). Re-enable windows firewall. Test printer (works!).

-Skip

if you wouldve bought a mac it probably wouldve set itself up

You wouldn't even need a router, or electricity, or even the internet if you bought a Mac. They are that good!!

It's official -- I'm an idiot!

I had the Linksys hooked up so I could run the desktop AND PS2 on wired connection. Considering that I haven't used the PS2 in several months, I simply took the Linksys out of the loop, plugged the Desktop directly into the ActionTec and am using the wireless of the ActionTec for the laptop. I just installed the desktop printer and printed with no problems.

-Chris

I haven't used the PS2 in several months
-Chris

Now there is the real crime that was committed here. Although I havent much room to talk. Good news is my roomate is getting Guitar Hero for Christmas so I will definitely be rocking out.

Plus I wont have this one nagging instrument student anymore...

I was at my parents' the day they got their (4Mb!) DSL installed, using the same Actiontec box that Chris has.

The installer dude played around with stuff on my mom's Windows laptop for about a half hour and finally got it to work. He didn't know much about Macs, and since I was there, Mom suggested I set up Dad's Mac laptop.

I was done in three seconds. Airport menu -> Actiontec. Attempt to access web page: Successful. I was finished before the dude even stood up.

I'll try to test the theory at xmas... They do have a USB printer sitting in another room.

:p

Back