Home Network Issue - Windows XP

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I'm trying to set up a home network so I can use one computer as a print server. I've started with two Windows XP Pro computers and a wired network. I don't know if it matters but I also have an Escient Fireball music server and a Mac on the network sharing internet access (It just occurs to me I should remove the Mac and the Escient from the network and see if that makes a difference - but I'm not where I can do that until Monday).

What I'm trying to do is make the two Windows XP pro machines talk to each other.

Here's where I am:

I've run through the XP home network wizard on both computers several times.

Everything can reach the internet ( 2 XP machines, 1 Mac, Escient)

I can ping computer A's IP address from computer B, and likewise can ping computer B's IP address from computer A.

I can not ping either computer by computer name.

When I look at the network neighborhood on computer A I don't see computer B, and vise versa.

When I try to map a drive on computer A to computer B, computer B doesn't show up as an option under the workgroup.

It looks to me like the network works OK, but neither computer can resolve by computer name.

Thoughts?

Very common problem with Windows when you do not have a WINS or DNS server. You can browse the other computer by IP address

\\192.168.0.2

Just type that into your address bar in My Computer (change the ip to whatever the other computer is).

Otherwise you can try installing NETBEUI off the Windows CD.

Or you can do some voodoo dance for a few hours. Click all over the place.. And for no reason it'll just start working.

I have to use the lan IP address of the computer "hosting" the printer to reliably connect to it from other computers.

Chip,

For something like $50 you can get a stand-alone print server that will plug into a parallel port and the LAN. Heck, there are some home-style routers that include a printer port (I'd stick with the standalone unit).

Beats the time and effort you'll spend making this work.

I have a standalone on my network.

Chip, I had almost the identical problem. Through trial and error I found the following solution:

1) Turn off Windows Firewall on both machines.
2) Run the Network Setup Wizard both machines.
3) Turn on Windows Firewall if you are so inclined.

...and it worked for me. I hope it does for you, too!

-Skip

waiting for the guys to jump in & say go Mac or Linux... :)

coincidentally I am having the same problem.. I T guy promised he'd do it but it slipped by?
So how do you find the IP address of a computer?

I can access files on 'the other computer' but I cant print from one to the other.

coincidentally I am having the same problem.. I T guy promised he'd do it but it slipped by?
So how do you find the IP address of a computer?

I can access files on 'the other computer' but I cant print from one to the other.

Click Start
Click Run
Type in: cmd
Press OK

A black prompt will open. Type in:
ipconfig
Press Enter

Chip,

For something like $50 you can get a stand-alone print server that will plug into a parallel port and the LAN. Heck, there are some home-style routers that include a printer port (I'd stick with the standalone unit).

Beats the time and effort you'll spend making this work.

I have a standalone on my network.

Vot iz dis word "parallel port?"

You can get some that work with USB printers. Even wirelessly, but you can't always count that they'll work two way to tell you the paper is out. That's OK. Most of the drivers just count how many pages you've printed before telling to buy more ink. It's like having a coin meter on the printer.

Also make sure you have the same workgroup name for both machines.

Chip,

For something like $50 you can get a stand-alone print server that will plug into a parallel port and the LAN.

For something like $80 you can buy a color printer that plugs directly into any router or hub via LAN cable and will allow you to print from any computer on the network without having any other computer powered up (the print server computer), or will plug to any PC via LAN or USB or printer cable. I have an HP5850, but YMMV, doubt they still make that particular model.

I'll second the rec that you just go with a network print server, wired or wireless as meets your needs. They work pretty seamlessly, and then you do not have to worry about having the "host" computer turned on when you want to print from elsewhere.

Wouldn't an Lhost file with the IPs of the local machines on each workstation solve the problem?

Wouldn't an Lhost file with the IPs of the local machines on each workstation solve the problem?

Possibly. But if you reach that point you might as well just use the IP anyways. Or just deploy a domain controller and a WINS server using Linux at no cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Memphis this weekend so I can't experiment. If I just go with the IP addresses I know how to reference a folder or file, how do I reference a printer using the IP address of the print server?

When you designated the printer as "Shared" you specified, or it defaulted to, a "shared printer name". Use whatever is in that field.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm in Memphis this weekend so I can't experiment. If I just go with the IP addresses I know how to reference a folder or file, how do I reference a printer using the IP address of the print server?

The easiest way is use TCP/IP printing:

http://uis.georgetown.edu/software/documentation/winxp/winxp.network.printer.html

Note the asinine part that you have to select "Local Printer!"

You can also try finding the print server by IP address, where you syntax something like this:
\\192.168.1.33\\lp or \\192.168.1.33\\"HP LaserJet 4"
you'll see the syntax in the browse windows.

I also have an Escient Fireball music server and a Mac on the network sharing internet access (It just occurs to me I should remove the Mac and the Escient from the network and see if that makes a difference - but I'm not where I can do that until Monday).

Chip,

You've had plenty of help with the printer issue, so I want to talk about something else--the toys! I followed the link for that Fireball music server. Pricey unit, but looks nice! How's it work? You like it?

Chip,

You've had plenty of help with the printer issue, so I want to talk about something else--the toys! I followed the link for that Fireball music server. Pricey unit, but looks nice! How's it work? You like it?

Troy,

We love it, but it's the only jukebox I've owned so I can't really compare it to anything else. I like it because it drives up to two CD players and plays MP3 files. Occasionally there is a disconnect between the Esscient and the CD player and I have to power them both off and on to get them to talk again - usually when we operate the CD player without going through the Esscient.

The whole thing is much, much easier to use now that I can access it via a computer - I found using the remote control and the TV to be pretty limiting. Shoot me an email for more details.

waiting for the guys to jump in & say go Mac or Linux... :)

Well, I did use an old Power Mac 9500 running Mac OS 9 as a print server for quite a while, prompted by someone giving me a free laser printer with the old 8-pin mini DIN connector that won't plug into much else these days...

I downloaded some little piece of software from Apple whose name I can't remember, rebooted the print server machine (haha, remember having to reboot when you installed something? :D) and *poof* the printer showed up on the network. It even worked across WiFi (ps machine was on the wired side of the router). It kept working for several years, until the power supply finally fried after apparently functioning as an air cleaner for the rec room the whole time. :eek:

There, is that better? :goofy:

Back