Home automation indicator light panel?

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Hey, EE guys and such.

I'm about to get my round tuit back and actually replace the light switches with X10 and play with various Home Automation software.

I've wasted a lot of time on a really dumb thing: I'd like a display by the front door of what outdoor lights are on. I can't see them because the door doesn't have a window (I know. Just fix THAT.)

I have 3 circuits out front, plus 3 others on the other sides of the house. The first thought was to put the plate right there by the switches but one is 3 way, and I don't think it feeds to the light from there. Wiring those others is more than I'll do with 110v.

I'm thinking I could put a low voltage box in the basement, simple as with a resistor each hot, and bring up a multiconductor cable.

In my contractor days we used to have blank wall switch covers drilled for lights and LEDs. I'm thinking I'll make a plate like that and damn the electric code.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=L50187-ND

Anybody know of any pre-made LED plates like that? There has to be a joint that makes the maps with LEDs for commercial uses. Mebbe I'll try to raid the old nuke site down the road. :D

I tried to google such with no luck.

I might have to ask the HA forums.

Hey, EE guys and such.

I'm about to get my round tuit back and actually replace the light switches with X10 and play with various Home Automation software.

I've wasted a lot of time on a really dumb thing: I'd like a display by the front door of what outdoor lights are on. I can't see them because the door doesn't have a window (I know. Just fix THAT.)

I have 3 circuits out front, plus 3 others on the other sides of the house. The first thought was to put the plate right there by the switches but one is 3 way, and I don't think it feeds to the light from there. Wiring those others is more than I'll do with 110v.

I'm thinking I could put a low voltage box in the basement, simple as with a resistor each hot, and bring up a multiconductor cable.

In my contractor days we used to have blank wall switch covers drilled for lights and LEDs. I'm thinking I'll make a plate like that and damn the electric code.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=L50187-ND

Anybody know of any pre-made LED plates like that? There has to be a joint that makes the maps with LEDs for commercial uses. Mebbe I'll try to raid the old nuke site down the road. :D

I tried to google such with no luck.

I might have to ask the HA forums.

Ok, I'm thinking you want a mapped panel that displays which lights are on or not, pretty simple. Typically the alarm companies handle stuff like this.

Ok, I'm thinking you want a mapped panel that displays which lights are on or not, pretty simple. Typically the alarm companies handle stuff like this.

Heh. Guess what business I was in.

I'll make the panel. Bother.

Heh. Guess what business I was in.

I'll make the panel. Bother.

The latest systems use a virtual panel with a small screen. I typically buy one of the commercial systems for the boats that interfaces to the ships network so you can view all statuses for a variety of terminals.

The latest systems use a virtual panel with a small screen. I typically buy one of the commercial systems for the boats that interfaces to the ships network so you can view all statuses for a variety of terminals.

I've been looking at such. I don't know what's involved in making those work. I was crusing eBay and the parts look extensive and expensive.

For a laugh: I was considering using a relay interface until it occurred to me that what I wanted status on was a LIGHT circuit. :rolleyes:

The hot setup in automation is using the iPhone.

I've been looking at such. I don't know what's involved in making those work. I was crusing eBay and the parts look extensive and expensive.

For a laugh: I was considering using a relay interface until it occurred to me that what I wanted status on was a LIGHT circuit. :rolleyes:

The hot setup in automation is using the iPhone.

There you go, put in web cams that you can view from your iPhone....:yes:

Back