Holy Weather Batman

motospeed9058

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
rhall9058
Started reading through the weather information. :hairraise:. Hair raising was the first response, then after about 2 and half hours, it turned to :mad2:. Then I started reading through some of the practice exams which had 130 questions just on weather. :incazzato:

Feel like I need to contact my local TV weather man just to make sense of it. Anybody have any idea where to start with this just so I can get a base resemblence of it making some sort of sense? :dunno:

Started reading through the weather information. :hairraise:. Hair raising was the first response, then after about 2 and half hours, it turned to :mad2:. Then I started reading through some of the practice exams which had 130 questions just on weather. :incazzato:

Feel like I need to contact my local TV weather man just to make sense of it. Anybody have any idea where to start with this just so I can get a base resemblence of it making some sort of sense? :dunno:
It sounds like a course you are working on. Which one? Some have a pretty good way of explaining things. I found it easier using multiple sources. The USCG Aux has a fairly basic weather program you might look into.

It sounds like a course you are working on. Which one? Some have a pretty good way of explaining things. I found it easier using multiple sources. The USCG Aux has a fairly basic weather program you might look into.

Utilizing the King Schools program for Private Pilots.

Download the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (FAA web site). There are also a few other web resources I found (like this one: http://www.faa-ground-school.com/Lessons.aspx?id=1) but the PHAK has a lot in there. Yeah, it's a lot to learn and remember. A lot. I'm getting better with the basic weather theory -- cloud types, precip, fog, icing, storms, etc. It's the seemingly dozens of different WX reports and briefings and charts, each one more cryptic than the last, that are giving me fits.

There's a good reference on this site. Scott Dennstaedt has been known to pop in with some interesting weather topics. And he does have a weather course on DVD: http://pilotworkshop.com/weather/
He also currently has a road show going on.
Since I don't have any experience with King, I'll reserve comment. I did take the Aux course. I did find the book online using google. I suspect you would have to join the AUX to take the course.

If you're looking to understand the weather products available, don't forget to find AC-00-45G and the AIM.

Ryan

Admittedly smart-@$$ response, but also hoping to make you laugh... ;-)

I'll raise you one Hippy Dippy Al Sleet.

"...this is a Canadian low, which is not to be confused with a Mexican high..."

Last edited:

Yep, the FAA puts out a couple of weather publications available through any pilot shop service. I forget the names, Aviation Weather and Aviation Weather Services or something like that. Ask the pilot shop for "the FAA weather books", and if you read those, you will have read every correct answer on the test, because that is the material the tests are derived from. If you learn & understand them, you will also have a good foundation of knowledge upon which to build that will hopefully keep you safe so that experience gets the chance. The better you learn this now, the less you will have to learn come Instrument Rating time as well.

I remember being a little kid watching Carlin do Hippy Dippy Weatherman on Carson. I think we had it on an album as well.

I remember being a little kid watching Carlin do Hippy Dippy Weatherman on Carson. I think we had it on an album as well.

I remember watching him on Mike Douglass. I think it was the week John Lennon co-hosted.

Back