Holiday Trip

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Starting the holiday trip thread.
We are leaving tonight from Bridgeport CT, destination Tulsa International tomorrow night. Will transition the next day (during daylight) to our new home at Airman Acres, Collinsville, OK.
We will return on Saturday to Bridgeport.
Cessna 172, 180 hp Lycoming, GPS and weather.

We are leaving tonight from Bridgeport CT, destination Tulsa International tomorrow night. Will transition the next day (during daylight) to our new home at Airman Acres, Collinsville, OK.
We will return on Saturday to Bridgeport.
Cessna 172, 180 hp Lycoming, GPS and weather.
Jealous!

Good to get out of the northeast! Congrats!

Happy Turkey day and have safe flight.

Is this flight to reposition the aircraft? Then coming back to pack up and move?

We won't actually move for 3 years.

You are all invited to the party in June 2013!!!

OK93 - 8 nm north of Tulsa (KTUL).

June 2013 party - on my calendar.

Turf right now. Any expectation of asphalt by 2013?

Last night, we had 2.7" of rain at our house just across the Mississippi River from Memphis. You may run into a little weather on your way across. Be safe!

Well, here we are in Johnstown, PA. We planned to go further, but 50 kt headwinds changed our plan.

We are in West Memphis and getting to Tulsa doesn't look good tonight. Even getting to Tulsa by dinnertime Thanksgiving is looking bad.

OK93 - 8 nm north of Tulsa (KTUL).

June 2013 party - on my calendar.

Turf right now. Any expectation of asphalt by 2013?
Absolutely no chance of asphalt ever. But (as noted) TULSA International is only 8 miles away and they are paved well enough to land the 747 and its piggyback shuttle.

Last night, we had 2.7" of rain at our house just across the Mississippi River from Memphis. You may run into a little weather on your way across. Be safe!
We are just across the Mississippi River from Memphis. Come on over, lets go to Dairy Queen together.

If you REALLY need to get there, drive. We rented a car, drove through thunderstorms and pounding rain to get here sometime after midnight. Family is waking up now.

With the 50 knot headwind did you go backwards?

Just kidding. :D

Good luck with the trip.
hahaha

I've always wanted to experience such high winds so I could slow flight and go backwards.... I've never been in anything slower than a 152 so I've never had the opportunity to go backwards

hahaha

I've always wanted to experience such high winds so I could slow flight and go backwards.... I've never been in anything slower than a 152 so I've never had the opportunity to go backwards
My little taildragger will fly at 35 mph with power on and I've had it going backwards a few times. But most of the time the wind is much above 30 Kt it's a bit too windy on the ground to taxi.

If you REALLY need to get there, drive. We rented a car, drove through thunderstorms and pounding rain to get here sometime after midnight. Family is waking up now.

Glad you made it.

To be fair, though, I've never not been able to make my destination within a reasonable plus or minus delay in the Aztec. The same can't be said for my truck.

Glad you made it.

To be fair, though, I've never not been able to make my destination within a reasonable plus or minus delay in the Aztec. The same can't be said for my truck.
Gee, Ted where was your twin with boots when we needed it?

We had a 130 knot tailwind at times last night. That was OK until we had to turn around and come home. :idea:

Not as much fun, but a wise move.

We are just across the Mississippi River from Memphis. Come on over, lets go to Dairy Queen together.

I just now saw this :(. Glad you made it safely! Lot to be thankful for, huh.

Wow, is nobody else doing a holiday trip?

I missed this thread 'til now, but I had a great trip down to Texas in the DA40. Departed KMSN on Tuesday late morning, stopped for fuel at Monroe City, MO (K52), and when I flew over KVBT I looked down and saw Chip's hangar door was open and his truck parked out front. I haven't talked to him for a while, so I landed and taxied up and chatted with him for an hour or so. I was afraid he was going to stop flying since he sold his Bo and I had seen the Husky up for sale as well, but it turns out there's a Baron sitting where the Bo used to. :)

Anyway, I continued south, landing for fuel at Sherman, TX (KSWI) and then I stopped by Addison (KADS) and had dinner with Stu before hopping over to KFTW to spend the night. Hung out at Troy's for a while on Wednesday and he brought his girls out to see the plane, then I headed to Granbury (KGDJ) to top off before flying IFR the rest of the way to Houston (KEFD).

PJ should be here any minute, we're gonna go up... And the first leg on the way home on Sunday is going to be to Stephenville to meet up with Dave, Troy, Spike, et al for some BBQ at the Hard Eight.

This GA stuff is expensive - But I got to get here without dealing with the TSA or being cramped up in an RJ for too long, and I got to see several friends along the way as well as have a MUCH better view. Sweet. :yes:

Not a trip but took my dad up for a post-Thanksgiving spin around the patch. Was 10F, so we had to take advantage of the warmth to see the afternoon alpenglow over the glacier.

Back