Holiday gift ideas for a pilot and A&P?

pj500

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pj500
I'm looking for gift ideas for a private pilot who is also an AP/IA. He's helped me out, and I owe him a little more than the typical card.

$75-100 range is preferred.

Please pass me some ideas.

That's tough....as you well know, $100 doesn't get you much aviation related. What about something not aviation related? Bottle of Jameson, iTunes gift card, high end cigars, etc....

Does he smoke cigars (my wife finally put a stop to that)? Does he like Irish whiskey (I've still got an unopened bottle of very high quality Canadian whiskey a student gave me as a thank-you not knowing I really don't like Canadian whiskey)? Does he use iTunes (I do buy iBooks)?

y thinking is that unless you know for sure what someone really likes or wants (e.g., many folks know I like Jack Daniel's), you may be better off giving an appropriate gift certificate, which for a pilot/mechanic might be to Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, or Aircraft Tool Supply.

Does he smoke? Does he like Irish whiskey (I've still got an unopened bottle of very high quality Canadian whiskey a student gave me as a thank-you not knowing I really don't like Canadian whiskey)? Does he use iTunes?

My thinking is that unless you know for sure what someone really likes or wants (e.g., many folks know I like Jack Daniel's), you may be better off giving an appropriate gift certificate, which for a pilot/mechanic might be to Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, or Aircraft Tool Supply.

Good idea, something from the mechanic angle might be more appropriate (the auto repairman's equivalent of the snap-on truck gift cert?)

Good idea, something from the mechanic angle might be more appropriate (the auto repairman's equivalent of the snap-on truck gift cert?)
That's the idea, although most professional aircraft mechanics still use either Snap-On or MAC for hand tools (see what's in their shop), and places like ATS for specialty equipment.

If he likes his plane clean: http://planeperfect.us

We're running a Christmas special for PoA members as our way of giving back to the community we've learned from.

A gift card to a good restaurant where he would have to fly into. Would give him a reason to make a $100 hambuger run that he might not have otherwise.

A gift card to a good restaurant where he would have to fly into. Would give him a reason to make a $100 hambuger run that he might not have otherwise.
Gift card to a really good local restaurant he can take his SO to as a thank you for putting up with the hours, the emergency call outs, etc.

Gift-card for the Snap-On truck.

Back