History of Aviation readings

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
a while back I was looking for some online reading and I found this book.
http://invention.psychology.msstate.edu/i/Chanute/library/Prog_Contents.html

It contains part that are hilarious and others that are thought-provoking. They were great with math.....and observation. Explanation of the observations did not always prove out.

Every now and again there is a gem like this:

"Now my theory is this, and it applies to all birds. Notice any bird when he suddenly starts to fly, and you will notice a lightning-like quiver of his feathers. I believe that this quiver causes the production of a negative force of magnetism, or some kind of force which pushes the bird from the earth- just the reverse of the loadstone. He then has only to use his wings to propel the body, for the magnetic negative earth-force does the lifting, and that is all produced by the feathers. If it were not, then the bird ought to fly when divested of his feathers. This is the force which should be looked for; whoever discovers it will make a fortune."

"He also made some experiments upon pure aluminum, but found that it presented no advantages for flying machine construction."

Originally posted by Dave Taylor-

"this quiver causes the production of a negative force of magnetism, or some kind of force which pushes the bird from the earth"

Maybe it's true then why helicopters fly... they are so ugly the earth repels them! :)

Back