Hiring - Airport Manager BJJ

http://woosterwaynecountyairport.com/

Click on "Employment Opportunity" and have at it!

Thanks for posting that. I am in the market for that type of job and its only about 120 or so miles fro=m where I live now in Columbus.

However, they want 3-5 years experience. I have an aviation management degree but not the direct experience or AEEE certification.

Typical catch 22, no experience, no job. No job, no experience because no one will hire you.

I am sure they will find someone with experience out there.

David

Thanks for posting that. I am in the market for that type of job and its only about 120 or so miles fro=m where I live now in Columbus.

However, they want 3-5 years experience. I have an aviation management degree but not the direct experience or AEEE certification.

Typical catch 22, no experience, no job. No job, no experience because no one will hire you.

David

Throw your hat in the ring.

Come on man, drive up and meet them face to face. Look at the airport and community. Talk to them about how much you'd like to do that kind of work. REALLY wanting the job means a lot to an employer.

David

'experience in airport management' can be a number of things, have you ever worked a line job ? Any internships or work-study programs you did during your degree ?

This seems to be as much of an airport manager as a 'run the city owned FBO operation' gig. It is posted as 30hrs/week at $18/hr, that works out to somewhere around 29k per year. Better than first year at a regional :D

No harm in applying, but as these smalltown jobs go, there may already be someone local who this job description was tailored around.

Do you have a CFI rating ? It could make you more attractive for the town if you hold the promise of drumming up some business for the place by bringing in new pilots in the time beyond your 30hrs.

This is local to me, interesting to see it open. I would say apply if you have the degree, it and experience can sometimes be interchangeable.

Put yourself on the line. Be sure they know the job is important to you, that you'll do a good job for them and won't let them down. Then do it.

This is local to me, interesting to see it open. I would say apply if you have the degree, it and experience can sometimes be interchangeable.

Would you be able to check around whether there is already someone set up for the job ? No point wasting postage if the county commissioners daughters boyfriends best buddy already has a lock on this job.
Chances are they are genuinely looking for someone and would listen to someone with the right degree.

Work seven days a week, but we'll only pay you for 30 hours @ $18. We want certifications and experience and more work than you can ever possibly get done in the 30 hours we're going to pay you for. but please do your best to make more money for us.

I don't think they teach that class at the colleges that offer those aviation degrees. Graduates get to take it as OJT if/when they get their first job.

Work seven days a week, but we'll only pay you for 30 hours @ $18. We want certifications and experience and more work than you can ever possibly get done in the 30 hours we're going to pay you for. but please do your best to make more money for us.

Nobody local has a lock on the position. Apply. This is a serious attempt to get a new, quality person in the job.

I should know, I am the President of the Airport Authority.

Apply already.

Does the job come with bennies ? (or is that a 30hr obamacare lockout)

29k a year is ok money for a part-time gig if you get on the city healthplan and have some extra time to do maintenance or instruction.

Hi Mourne, I work for the college, do you know if there might be new hangar space coming available? I have a couple of EAA buddies that were wondering. Thanks!

To other job seekers, cost of living is relatively low here, do some research and see if this place will fit. The FBO is pretty pristine, nice runway, but lack of community. (imho) Good place for a networker.

Hi Mourne, I work for the college, do you know if there might be new hangar space coming available? I have a couple of EAA buddies that were wondering. Thanks!

To other job seekers, cost of living is relatively low here, do some research and see if this place will fit. The FBO is pretty pristine, nice runway, but lack of community. (imho) Good place for a networker.

The tee hangars are owned by Mid-Ohio Aviation. Call them and ask, there's usually a waiting list.

Have CFI and want to instruct again plus I have worked as an avionics tech and aviation maintenance in the Navy for 16 years. So I at least have an idea what to do.

As I think about this more it looks like a good opportunity to get in the door.

So, I will probably apply and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement (beating up.) :D

Working at FedEx is definitely not want I want to do the rest of my life.

David

Are there a lot apartments around? I have only been to the Wooster area once in High School. Too old to remember and we were only at the college.

David

Last edited:
Does the job come with bennies ? (or is that a 30hr obamacare lockout)

You understand, grasshopper.

Insurance costs can eat an employer alive. Aviation is hard enough to make a buck in these days.

But that's not a blanket "no". If we made an offer to someone we'd negotiate with them to the point we felt was reasonable. Maybe that's including an HSA or some such. Varies by the individual. But we don't want to get forced into it.

FSA you mean. HSA is only applicable if the employee is a member of a high deductible health plan.

FSA you mean. HSA is only applicable if the employee is a member of a high deductible health plan.

My last employer offered monthly contributions to your HSA, that was it. I had to go get the HDHP plan and open the HSA myself. My current employer offers a regular plan or an HDHP plus a monthly contribution to the HSA.

This is one of those "make something more, by showing what more there can be" situations. Go knock 'em dead with how great you can be.

Are there a lot apartments around? I have only been to the Wooster area once in High School. Too old to remember and we were only at the college.

Apartment-wise, there's always some open. Figure around $500/month for something decent. I used to rent just north of the College in Wooster, and it was pretty nice. Smithville, OH would actually be closer to the airport than Wooster, but I'm not sure what their apartment situation is like. I know there are some rental properties there, but less apartment complexes. (If any) Would you want to drive more, or have the option of cycling or walking to work?

Apply anyway....I'd be suprised if they get anyone with the bona fide experience AND the certification with those hours/pay.

Sounds like you would be a great candidate for a job like that.

David

David - the way you get that first opportunity is to try. Eventually, someone will take a chance on you, and bam! You have experience and the degree.

You'd be surprised what jobs you can get without meeting the "minimum" requirements.

Ted told me he considered it a compliment when they said he was the lowest common denominator.

David - the way you get that first opportunity is to try. Eventually, someone will take a chance on you, and bam! You have experience and the degree.

You'd be surprised what jobs you can get without meeting the "minimum" requirements.

I can self-buy an HSA from BCBS (Bluecross) for not much.. its that 5k/year deductible that keeps you burning your own money, but its insurance..

With that being said, I think hands on airport management is the last job you would want to go uninsured on. but that's just me.

FSA and the expiring money needs to go though!

Resume sent. We'll see what happens.

Good luck! I've applied for a few airport manager positions, and always seemed to come in #2. Or in one case, they were hiring a manager for the first time, the salary was going to come from jet fuel sales to a local company with a big hangar and two jets. They wanted to build a newer, bigger hangar and the city said they'd build it if the corporation would buy their Jet-A from the city. They agreed, the city started looking for a manager, it was a good situation, I wrote a really kickass proposal that time, it sounded like I was in the lead, and then the company decided they needed to wait to build the hangar, the money went away... Sigh.

FYI - the period for receiving resumes/applications is now closed. We got a good response and have a number of promising candidates to interview.

Any updates on this? Expected date to have the new guy in? Would love to welcome whomever it is.

(Sent from mobile)

New guy starts 4/1, but stop by anytime!

Back