Hiperbipe

ColoPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ColoPilot
We went to KGXY last weekend and while we were having breakfast, we saw a bright yellow Hiperbipe land and taxi in. I didn't know what it was, it's a funny looking airplane, so I had to Google it when we got home. Apparently there are 22 of them flying. Has anyone here flown one? What are they like?

I have ridden in one. Most are lovingly crafted works of art. The fuselage is a lifting surface. They are full acro and a delight in handling. The visibility is not very good but wonderful planes. Also a bit noisy but I could live with it.

Droooooooooly. don't need one, but if I did I'd grab this up. Only thing I would change is some wheel pants and maybe some fresh upholstery.

A Hyperbibe Trike? Yeech! Take that training wheel offa the front and put the little one in back where it belongs.

I was all for it untill I saw the exhaust, if the rest of the workmanship matches those welds:hairraise:
CIMG0485a.jpg

We went to KGXY last weekend and while we were having breakfast, we saw a bright yellow Hiperbipe land and taxi in. I didn't know what it was, it's a funny looking airplane, so I had to Google it when we got home. Apparently there are 22 of them flying. Has anyone here flown one? What are they like?

Colopilot;
Sorry for the late reply but finals at A&P skool were Friday (the things I do for "fun"):mad2: .
Anyway, I am the proud owner of 7HT an SNS-7 Hiperbipe. They are fun airplanes all around. 160+ mph and very comfortable for cross country and still able to do what an S2A can do. Mine has an IO-360 angle valve motor and a Hartzell CS prop. It has full span flaparons that are VERY effective both as ailerons (270* per sec roll) and as flaps (2000 fpm decent @85mph and 40-ish degrees nose down). Controls are nicely balanced and don't heavy up the faster you go.
7HT is 1260 empty and 1680 max acro weight. Max gross is 1960. It carries 39 gallons of fuel in two tanks; the right tank holds 26 gal. and has a fixed pick-up. The left tank holds 13 gallons and has a flop tube for over an hour of up-side-down-enjoyment!

Good ones come up for sale every so often at around $42-$48k. Like any other airframe there are cheaper examples of the breed for sale that have been "modded" or damaged and rebuilt...the wear spot in the Hiperbipe is the wings; the original glue used to attach the wood ribs to the wood spars and the wood skin to both deteriorates with age. Most 'bipes have had the wings rebuilt using epoxy but it's something to watch out for should you progress from "that's cool" to "I found one I want to buy".

In the bang for the buck department the Hiperbipe is hard to beat for fun 3F (Flip-Flop-Flying) and $199.95 hambuger runs. One thing is certain; when you fly into a fly-in you won't be directed to park with all the other Hiperbipes in attendance...:lol:

I'll stop now before I wax Poetic.

Chris in Shreveport

Attachments

• Calander 08-2.jpg
    Calander 08-2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
  • MVC-005F.JPG
    MVC-005F.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 39
It has full span flaparons that are VERY effective both as ailerons (270* per sec roll)

Chris, I think your plane is cool as hell, but sorry no way I can believe that. :) I remember some acro video you posted. Seen some others too, and fastest roll was around 100 deg/sec, which seems about right, given the aileron size. 270 is just about Extra 300L roll rate. The best Pitts (Super Stinker) does about 300 deg/sec. My 4-aileron S-1S does 180 deg/sec. I've seen some wacky roll rate claims by some designers. If you can roll 270, I'll raise my opinion of the HB from cool as hell to beastly badassery. :D Post some video! Eric

Chris, I think your plane is cool as hell, but sorry no way I can believe that. :) I remember some acro video you posted. Seen some others too, and fastest roll was around 100 deg/sec, which seems about right, given the aileron size. 270 is just about Extra 300L roll rate. The best Pitts (Super Stinker) does about 300 deg/sec. My 4-aileron S-1S does 180 deg/sec. I've seen some wacky roll rate claims by some designers. If you can roll 270, I'll raise my opinion of the HB from cool as hell to beastly badassery. :D Post some video! Eric

My Dear Mr. 'Dill;

As you have no doubt surmised I crossed the somewhat blurred line between Bragging and Bul****t.:dunno:

Truth told the 7HT will roll as fast as an S2A even with the ailerons "detuned" by 3* each way...I seldom even use the travel I've got because I'm more into slow and smooth acro vs. what I term "epileptic fit" acro so popular today.
I'll velcro a digital stopwatch in front of my camera and "de-tweek" the stops and see what I get...

"...I've seen some wacky roll rate claims by some designers."
But I've seen it on the Internet...they can't put it on the internet if it's not true!!!:mad2: Bonn-jurr.

Chris Carlson
Truth Stretcher Second Class (with clusters)

Back