Hiperbipe video

Hiperbiper

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris Carlson
I'm sorry to be the one to have to inform you - but it appears that you were having fun.

Chris,

I live a couple of miles down the road from Mark and John Sorrell. I've got the last (known) remaining un-built Hiperbipe kit in their shop, It's completely welded up, wings built and about to get soda blasted and on gear. Neat to see what it'll look like some day.

Do you have the 180 or 200 O-360 in yours?

Mike-

I finally shot a Utube video in December and thought I had posted it to both sites I visit but alas I muffed it.

So here it is; proof that a Hiperbipe with a loose nut behind the stick CAN do acro (or something like it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efT-swMgCD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_39ujPNfkA

Marion Cole was right; boring holes in the sky is FUN!

Chris

WoW! that was nice! Loved the knife edge flight. I absolutely have to get back up for some more aerobatic lessons! The first one was a blast but I started getting a little upset stomach after the second loop:redface:.

I've since learned that an empty stomach and coffee were the culprits!

Chris,

I live a couple of miles down the road from Mark and John Sorrell. I've got the last (known) remaining un-built Hiperbipe kit in their shop, It's completely welded up, wings built and about to get soda blasted and on gear. Neat to see what it'll look like some day.

Do you have the 180 or 200 O-360 in yours?

Mike-

Mike;
I am happy to know you are putting another one of these fun machines into the air! I can't find anything that is more fun to fly and comfortable to criuse in.

Mine has the IO-360C1C angle valve motor of 200 horsepressure.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.:goofy:

Chris

Ever have a horse stand on your foot, that is a lot of pressure. I can't imagine 200 of them.

Nice video. Would love to see some plane to plane video.

hi all
just found this site. i've recently bought a hiperbipe, would like to talk about acro with it. i'm located on long island in ny. is there anyone close by

dan carley

Dan;

Though I'm not close I might be able to answer a question or two about your new toy (CONGRATS by the way!!!).

I realize I'm in Louisiana but if we both try hard we can surely overcome the language barrier...:mad2:

Chris Carlson
(318) 218-3655 -Electronic Leash

hi chris
i havent put to much time on her yet, i find it a little hard on landing she will drop her left wing fast at 70. i'm on a grass strip 2300 ft. i don't have to much time to play around. if i use full flaps it's actually worse. i find about 1/3 flaps is best.

any suggestions

danny

With 7HT I'm downwind @ 100mph, 1/2 flaps and 90 mph on crosswind, final and over the fence. Rollout under 2000' every time. Under 1000' if I want to!

Once you get in the flare she bleeds speed quickly...touchdown is 80 or so and comes pretty quick.
You can fly it around the pattern with 1/2 flaps @ 80 as long as the banks are gentle and you come in fairly flat; at that speed the roundout will get mushy and take more aft stick to break your decent (hence the flat approach).
Remember; she got a laminiar flow wing section that doesn't like slow flight much but she's also got 4 full span flaps that are VERY effective at helping out in the lift department at 0-1/2 flap and at full flap will do a power-off, 90mph stabilized decent at over 1500 fpm!!

A word of caution 'bout the full flap thing...never use in gusty winds. Try not to use in direct crosswinds due to high aileron force required to get a wing down (flaperons remember?), make your base-to-final turn and be lined up before pulling full flaps and last but not least with full flaps remember that when you round out (even at 100mph) the combination of the 4 flaps and the 3 point landing attitude is going to slow you down QUICK! Best be close to the ground and ready to land cause she goes from 100 to 60 like you popped a parachute out the tail.

70 is way too slow unless the mains are already on the ground...keep your speed up a bit and you'll love the way Hiperbipes land!

Chris

Last edited:
chris

i think i'm coming in too steep, over the fence at 80 with half flaps. i'll try a flatter approach. i can only do this at one end of the runway,the other has high trees. any reason that left wing drops quickly? could it be a little rigging problem? or is that how hb act?

danny

Attachments

• 2013-10-19 05.19.01.jpg
    2013-10-19 05.19.01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
chris

i think i'm coming in too steep, over the fence at 80 with half flaps. i'll try a flatter approach. i can only do this at one end of the runway,the other has high trees. any reason that left wing drops quickly? could it be a little rigging problem? or is that how hb act?

danny

Danny;
If possible go to an airport where landing long won't damage you or your plane (a really beautiful plane BTW!) and bump up your speed to at least 90 over the fence until you get used to her...no need to come in flatter than a normal type of approach (500 fpm decent) at 90-100. Ditto 1/4 mile from the runway at 1000'; 90-100 mph and full flap will put you on the numbers.

I don't know about your balance and rigging but if she flys straight and true (no slip/skids or having to hold aileron in normal flight) then the only reason a wing is dropping is you're getting too slow. Mine stalls around 65 mph; yours should too but that assumes your airspeed indicator is pretty close to correct. Keep in mind that the Hiperbipe isn't a plane that will waffle around and float and buffet like a 172; like any high performance airplane when you get too slow it WILL stall and stop flying.

Chris

Last edited:
Back