HIMS Psychiatrist

G

Hello,

If anyone who has been through one could provide any input, I am wondering what I should expect for a HIMS Psychiatrist appointment. It is for the abuse vs. dependency decision and I am just wondering what I can expect when I go for my appointment.

Thanks!

It will be a very thorough psychiatric intake and evaluation. Complete review of your history, life circumstances, relationship with alcohol, etc etc.

Basically expect several hours of examining your life down to the finest detail.

It will be a very thorough psychiatric intake and evaluation. Complete review of your history, life circumstances, relationship with alcohol, etc etc.

Basically expect several hours of examining your life down to the finest detail.
What sort of questions do they ask?

What sort of questions do they ask?

There is no set list of questions. It will depend entirely on how your session progresses. Prepare to speak in detail about your substance abuse history.

The psychiatrist needs to forensically establish, within the guidelines of medical practice (i.e. The DSM), how to appropriately describe your overall mental health and propensity for relapse. How they go about that and what questions they ask will vary with each provider and their individual style and technique, but expect to go all the way back to childhood and all the way up to the present/future.

They definitely don’t leave any stone unturned. Be prepared to answer anything. Be honest, if they feel like you are lying… well they are trained psychiatric professionals. Whether you like it or not, they are very important in getting your medical. Be kind, open, honest and candid.

They definitely don’t leave any stone unturned. Be prepared to answer anything. Be honest, if they feel like you are lying… well they are trained psychiatric professionals. Whether you like it or not, they are very important in getting your medical. Be kind, open, honest and candid.
How did your session go in general? Like topics discussed and flow of discussion?

I was asked about my relationship with alcohol. My relationship with parents, siblings, wife, kids, and employers. He asked questions about the twelve steps and my recovery program, in detail- had to know the steps and how I worked them. Asked for details about my recovery program. After the interview, he called my wife, my sponsor, and my boss.

How did your session go in general? Like topics discussed and flow of discussion?

If you’ve submitted your personal statement to your AME already, that’s about all the homework you can do to prep for the appointment.

Going in thinking you’ve got all the answers for questions that haven’t been asked is a recipe for disaster.

Was anybody here considered to have abuse? Or were you all written up as dependent?

Back