Hilarious telephone Call

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Within a week after I received my cell phone # a couple years ago I received a call from ?????? who expected to talk to his girl friend(according to him). "Well, that's been her number for a couple years," he indicated.
At least two or three times a month since back then I get a call for Melinda, at which time I explain that I've "had this number for two years." My gut feeling is, based on subtlety and tone of voice of the callers, they're bill collectors or some other legal entity. Today's call was rather comical.
"May I speak to Melinda?"
"Who?"
"Melinda." I'm sensing an opportunity.
"Uhhhh; hold on. Melinda ----"(I called out) "Who's calling, please?"(to whomever's on the phone).
"Never mind; just put her on the phone."

"Melinda - - - - - . are you still naked? [Back to the caller: "I'm sorry but she's not in a position to come to the phone at the moment."
"I don't know who you are but put that *itch on the phone."
"Oh, sorry; this is Reverend Harnish. You should control your temper. Perhaps she should call you at a later time."

The guy hung-up on me. The nerve!

HR

Harley, how about teh last skip tracer who called me and asked why she woudl call me.

I said, "You're asking me why you called?" :dunno:

That's great! I bet that guy is gonna be ****ed at Melinda for a while now!!

Reverend just what were you doing with that naked girl?

Whoever she is and wherever she is I'm still laughing my *** off, wishing to be a fly on the wall when the guy finally catches up with her.

It was almost as much fun as when I worked at a radio station and we had a supplier's sample album of December holiday greeting cards. I bought envelopes for each of them, addressed every one to a destination -- after writing a loving sentiment above the male or female name preprinted on the sample card. Of course, the male sentiment went to a female destination and ------- well, you get the picture. I heard through the grapevine there were repercussions for quite some time. Who said that retirement are the best years. They were good back then.

HR

Reminds me of my old prank call I used to do....grab the white pages, find a listing that reads "Mans name & Womans Name Same Last Name," ie "John and Martha Smith."

Call up, if the guy answers, ask for Martha. He'll invariably ask who it is, you say "Its her boyfriend."

Hoo boy did we have fun with that when we were teens. Actually had a few guys threaten to come beat me up, and one guy that just said "Yeah, she's here, why don't you just come by to talk to her?"

For over two years after I got my cell number, I received calls for "Brandon" from one girl after another. To this day, I've gotta wonder if this guy died and no one knew or he suddenly married and was running from all the girls he left behind.

Oddly, none were interested in meeting a self-employed courier. I guess I should have said I was a pilot. :)

Brandon, wherever you are... You the man!!! :D

A few years ago I answered a phone call from some guy wanting to get us to buy insurance. He asked for my wife but I playfully quizzed him before I would put her on the phone. He became increasingly hostile so I told him to please not call this number again. He screamed that he would call whoever he wished and then slammed the phone down.

And because our listing was only the initials of our first names it was great fun when people would call for (girl's name beginning with "K"). One enterprising marketer called repeatedly asking for a different name each time. She asked for every conceivable name except the correct one.

Before they asked for a phone number, before they would call back that number to verify, and well before caller ID, when I was a kid we used to call for pizza delivery...and give a neighbor's address. We would watch the confusion from the window.

One time we got very bold and ordered a wedding cake. Don't ask me why they weren't suspicuous why a couple of ten year olds were making the order but we did have it rehearsed before we even made the call. Come that Saturday afternoon it was a hoot to watch the emotions fly.

Our shame and guilt prevented us from ever doing that again.

Before they asked for a phone number, before they would call back that number to verify, and well before caller ID, when I was a kid we used to call for pizza delivery...and give a neighbor's address. We would watch the confusion from the window.
In Miami I used to get a lot of calls for a local sandwich shop that didn't have delivery but encouraged call-aheads for pickup. After saying "you have the wrong number" for the 2000th time, we just started pretending we were taking the orders

One time we got very bold and ordered a wedding cake. Don't ask me why they weren't suspicuous why a couple of ten year olds were making the order but we did have it rehearsed before we even made the call. Come that Saturday afternoon it was a hoot to watch the emotions fly.

Our shame and guilt prevented us from ever doing that again.

Oh yeah. Thats' great fun. The family-owned pizza businesses just laugh and laugh when they have to throw the pizzas out. For greatest fun order like 15 pizzas. :no:

They thank ja for Caller ID now.

In Miami I used to get a lot of calls for a local sandwich shop that didn't have delivery but encouraged call-aheads for pickup. After saying "you have the wrong number" for the 2000th time, we just started pretending we were taking the orders

We used to do that too. Our number was very close to a local Dairy Queen number. After giving out the correct number a few hundred times, we started taking orders...even going so far as to ask people if they'd heard about our half price specials for the day. I'd love to see/hear the arguments at the drive through when they found that 1. Their order had not been taken, and 2. It's full price, not half price as promised. B)

We used to do that too. Our number was very close to a local Dairy Queen number. After giving out the correct number a few hundred times, we started taking orders...even going so far as to ask people if they'd heard about our half price specials for the day. I'd love to see/hear the arguments at the drive through when they found that 1. Their order had not been taken, and 2. It's full price, not half price as promised. B)

At my business my phone number was one off from the Biograph Theater (the alleged Dillinger one). I would give the right phone number. One time a lady called, I gave her the right number. She called back. Twice. I gave her the number each time. Then I got a call from a phone operator with her on the line asking me why I wasn't the theater. I said, "Did you even once, TRY CALLING THE NUMBER I GAVE YOU?" She says, "THIS IS THE NUMBER 411 gave me!" :dunno:

Now mine is one off from one of the taxi company's. I occasionally get woken up by calls late at night and early in the morning and I can't remember the right phone number. :mad:

Oh yeah. Thats' great fun. The family-owned pizza businesses just laugh and laugh when they have to throw the pizzas out. For greatest fun order like 15 pizzas. :no:

They thank ja for Caller ID now.

I worked for one of those. We NEVER threw them out as they became supper for us on duty. The extras, if any, were sold to us for some nominal amount.

We had a young lady continually calling every 15 minutes to the shop wanting to talk to a young man, we were getting tired of this so one day I just told her she could not talk to him because he was out in the parking lot with his wife..

That young man was trying to find out who answered the phone for about 6 months.

He was mad, it was his wife on the phone.

My parents phone number was one off from a pizza place and once in a while the caller would start arguing that they had indeed called the right number. Like we were just screwing with them and we were actually the pizza place. "Are you sure you aren't Godfathers?" Yea, I'm pretty dam* sure.

My parents phone number was one off from a pizza place and once in a while the caller would start arguing that they had indeed called the right number. Like we were just screwing with them and we were actually the pizza place. "Are you sure you aren't Godfathers?" Yea, I'm pretty dam* sure.
I had a similar thing with a local pizza place. I just started taking the orders. A few times I would also asked "have you ordered from us before?" If they said yes I would tell them they qualified for a free 2l Pepsi and free delivery. That way 45 minutes later when they called again, this time getting the real pizza place they would be really mad and demand their free stuff.

My other oddities went on for 22 and 27 years and didn't stop until I moved out of my Topsham house, moving into a different "exchange," also going to only cellular phone service.

My # during all that time was 207-725-2182. Quite often I'd get calls as early as 6:00 am, "Are you open yet?" or variations thereof. Several miles away is Naval Air Station Brunswick which has its own exchange, 207-921-****. The Navy Exchange(retail store) telephone # is 207-921-2182. The vast majority of Brunswick - Topsham telephone #s are either 725- or 729-, with only the Base being 921. Brunswick-Topsham residents, and those of many other surrounding communities are so used to dialing 725 or 729 it would be an automatic reflex to think "The Base is in Brunswick, so I'll dial 725-2182." Wrong #!

And the other? Bowdoin Camera Exchange was 725-8811. Bowdoin College(up the street) was entirely dissimilar. My store received calls from many states(and foreign countries) from a mother or father wanting to be transferred to their son's or daughter's extension. The problem often originated from Directory Assistance when the caller had asked for the Bowdoin College listing. Camera, alphabetically, comes before College; and my personnel would politely explain that the caller should request credit for the misdirected information. There was 27 years of that. (Now I'm up here on the hill - in the trees, and nobody calls me. Sniff - sniff)

HR

Last edited:
Whoever she is and wherever she is I'm still laughing my *** off, wishing to be a fly on the wall when the guy finally catches up with her.
HR

Funny story... I just hope he doesn't beat the **** out of her when he "catches up with her", thinking she was really out cheating on him or something...

My dad's office phone number used to be just a digit or two off from a Chinese place down the road. On more than one occasion I'd hear him or one of the other guys answer the phone "Storm Team 12 Weather, this is Merril" then start rooting through their desk drawer. They'd come up with a menu for the Chinese restaurant, take the order, asking about side dishes and such...then call in the order to the restaurant. I think they got bored a lot.

i got a great telemarketer once that I really messed with. I complained that I did not like her coming into my house uninvited to do work. I then asked her for her home phone number, which she gave me, and then I asked for her home address, which she started to give me and then realized what she was doing. She asked what I wanted that all for and I told her I was going to come by tomorrow and set up my computer in her living room to work from her apartment that day. She freaked out and told me not to do that. My response was that she came into my house uninvited why do I need an invite to go to her house? I also thanked her for the phone number and address and that I would post them on the Internet so that anyone else getting calls from that telemarketing company would know how to reach her.

But by far the best telemarketing call I got was from a spring water company. The next day I found out who the CEO of the company was, was able to get his home phone number and that evening called him at home and complained about the telemarketing. HE WAS REALLY MAD that I got his home phone number and was calling him. I explained that is how I felt getting calls from his company. I have never, ever gotten a call form that company again.

Thanks to do not call list and caller id I hardly get any calls anymore.

Why do they use those Cell phone numbers that you do not have any more. They gave my old cell phone number to a gal from my home town. She is going to college at this time. So she gets all of my calls and has to redirect them. A few times she has even called me and given me a message she thought was real important. Are they that short on phone numbers. Bob

Back