Highest you've flown while still having connectivity to post selfies on FB?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
In keeping with the recent trend....

And who is your service provider (AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile...etc)?

Would it be too much to ask to have these types of threads posted in Hanger Talk? Flight Following is a section where "real" topics of discussion should take place.

I believe we've been able to text at FL200 on occasion when over an LTE city. Can't recall if my wife was able to send pics from that alt tho.

We send pics from 12k with no trouble.

Last edited:
Verizon, BlackBerry
7,000 is the highest as I recall for sending texts, which was roughly 6k AGL. I've never had good luck with posting selfies, FB status, etc.

Would it be too much to ask to have these types of threads posted in Hanger Talk? Flight Following is a section where "real" topics of discussion should take place.
Any request is too much to ask.

I figure if you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

Actually I find this interesting. My phone is past its upgrade point. While I don't need to post selfies to Facebook, I would like something that can better send and receive text messages so I'm not 100% incommunicado during flights (which for me can easily be 4+ hour legs).

On my trip from Arizona to North Carolina in the Diamond I managed to have LTE for a majority of New Mexico and good part of Texas at 11,500' with Verizon.

Fair game, despite the title, it looks like the intent of topic is real.

AT&T, and I've gotten coverage at up to 10K.

But, if I'm up at 10K, I'm usually going over some 8K peaks with nice high repeaters on them.

Not Facebook or Text but last year my iPhone was able to hold a 15 minute phone conversation over Central Illinois at 9,000'.. First time it ever happened and it has not happened again since no matter how hard we have tried. (Wife called her Mother) Verizon

Now while not flying myself and on the way to the Dominican at FL39 I would pick up signal over some islands and roam and get a few emails for a few minutes at a time.. This happens every time we go down there.. I have sent a few texts but it happens fast ! I took a screen shot of the carrier and would have to dig back through to see who it was..

I think including phone would be relevant. I've had BlackBerries for most of my flying career and they don't seem to do very well at altitude.

I think including phone would be relevant. I've had BlackBerries for most of my flying career and they don't seem to do very well at altitude.

At altitude or anywhere?

My work blackberry has been forwarded to my iPhone for four years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any request is too much to ask.

I figure if you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

I just think that it makes searching the Flight Following section of the forum that much more difficult with these "joking" threads in there.

Fair game, despite the title, it looks like the intent of topic is real.

AT&T, and I've gotten coverage at up to 10K.

But, if I'm up at 10K, I'm usually going over some 8K peaks with nice high repeaters on them.

I would argue that the intent was to mock other similar threads...but, I've been wrong before.

At&t by far has had better connectivity than t mobile or verizon in Texas.
The other 2 crap out for me around 3k. AT&T > 5k and still have reasonable connection.

I would argue that the intent was to mock other similar threads...but, I've been wrong before.
That was indeed the intent, but like everything else here at POA, thread drift is inevitable and it appears to have morphed into something potentially useful. But I will not attempt to take credit for that.

At altitude or anywhere?

My work blackberry has been forwarded to my iPhone for four years.

My BlackBerry does fine on the ground. I think iPhones tend to get better reception, though, hence my question.

I'm on a Learjet 45 at FL410 right now. We have in flight wifi though...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 3.54.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 3.54.06 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm on a Learjet 45 at FL410 right now. We have in flight wifi though...

I can't compete with that but worth mentioning that I am on the 5th floor with no Wifi and I have 3 bars. :yes:

Also I am drinking a free Cherry Coke with no hands in the worlds sh***iest working environment in the tiniest possible cube fearing at any moment that my boss will walk by and wonder WTF I am doing taking selfies whilst hands-free drinking.

This might be part of why you fly a badazz Cirrus and I have to borrow my dad's :yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160217_150614-480x640.jpg
    20160217_150614-480x640.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 140
About two months ago on a flight from KCHD (Chandler) to KSAD (Safford) my friend was able to text his wife throughout the entire flight. We were flying at about 7,500 MSL. He mentioned that his reception in the air was much better than it normally is on the ground. The altitude helped the signal clear all the mountains. He has Verizon.

KSAD... Aptly named because you're Sad you have to be in Safford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be on a quest to maximize connectivity.....but discovered it's all for other people.
And I don't mind being there for other people. But if I am to consider my own requirements for a modicum of happiness, I now embrace all opportunities to be off-line!

Does anyone else experience a flood of "urgent" texts, emails, messenger posts as soon as they get in range again? "Bing" "ba-ding" "Bing" "Cha-ching" "Bing"Aagghh, stop!

Sure, but I also have 3 small kids. If I need to turn around and get home right now, it's good to be able to know.

Everyone else can go away.

I don't really keep track as it varies a lot.

Sometimes I'll get a text at 3000 feet, sometimes the no service thing happens at the same altitude. I don't really use my phone for anything at higher altitudes save for snapping pictures.

I can't believe I just read a whole thread about "selfies". I am almost 30 years old and can proudly say I have posted zero selfies to date. When I am flying, I don't even think about my cell service, I am more pre-occupied by the whole "flying the airplane" thing.

Recently, was at 13k ish and could get some bars while flying about 40 miles NE of Reno. Not able to really do anything like FB or text, but I could pull the coordinates to KEUG off safari, plug them into the INS, and determine that I did not have enough gas to go shoot an approach and come back. So there is that.

No need or desire to post selfies. Wrong generation I guess. Most stuff is off in flight. I do like bluetooth to the phone to let folks know I'm close.

I can't believe I just read a whole thread about "selfies". I am almost 30 years old and can proudly say I have posted zero selfies to date. When I am flying, I don't even think about my cell service, I am more pre-occupied by the whole "flying the airplane" thing.
So you have never once had a moment of free time in cruise. Even 15 seconds?

Wow.
I'm almost 40 and have filmed feature length documentaries :)

No need or desire to post selfies. Wrong generation I guess. Most stuff is off in flight.

I'm with you, just no desire to do so anyway. I actually probably should have been born a couple generations before my time for a lot of reasons!

So you have never once had a moment of free time in cruise. Even 15 seconds?
Of course, time to take in the view and enjoy the moment!

Wow.
I'm almost 40 and have filmed feature length documentaries :)

Haha you my friend must have the luxury on an autopilot!

I'm with you, just no desire to do so anyway. I actually probably should have been born a couple generations before my time for a lot of reasons!

Of course, time to take in the view and enjoy the moment!

Haha you my friend must have the luxury on an autopilot!
Then you arent so busy flying that you can't take a selfie you choose not to. I dont blame you, never taken one myself.

Back