High time valuation

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
What is the value of a high time aircraft? A midsixties 172, that appears to be well cared for. Priced near my comfort level. All wonderful except for a 1600hr engine. How much is an aircraft worth when a $18-20K bill is a few years away? I know that this is a difficult question but I would appreciate some perspective.

Not knowing the rest of the equipment in the cockpit, it is hard to estimate.
Consider the airplane with a freshly overhauled engine might be $45K-$50K

Don't be scared of a high time engine, but look at it this way...take current asking price plus a new engine...then see what plane that budget would buy you currently with a low time engine. If you are in the ballpark of what you are looking at, go for it. If you can get a substantially nicer plane with a newer engine...might not be such a good deal.

I just bought a plane with almost 500 hours over TBO (although it did have some engine work done) but when I added the purchase price PLUS a new engine I still wasn't finding anything as nice or equipped in that price range, so I pulled the trigger knowing I will have a rebuild in the near future but have a zero time engine and the plane I want.

Last edited:
Light IFR ie. dual navcoms w/GS, Mode C, engine monitor, marker beacon, usual gyros. P&I 8.

The truth is a $20k-$30k repair could be just a few years away for any plane that is out of warrantee. Budget and purchase accordingly.

When I did take possession of my 1973 182P, i did find a previous appraisal that was done a few years earlier when the engine about 250 hours past TBO, they discounted somewhere around $7000 off the price for the high engine time in their assessment.

Once you go over tbo its up to the buyer on what they think the aircraft is worth.have to look at the avionics and any mods to the aircraft.high time aircraft can be a good buy if the aircraft was well maintained.tBO is only a number.

Back