High Speed Camera [N/A]

inav8r

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike B.
This is pretty cool!

They have developed a small video camera in Japan which shoots at 2000 frames per second. It is a high-resolution, full color, video cam which does not need a lot of light, as most high speed cameras do. In the attached demo movie, a yellow balloon has been filled with water and is then pierced with a pin. Take a look. The balloon disappears from around the water.

Attachments

• highspeedcam.wmv
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
Wow if we only had one of those at Gaston's we could have caught Dave's flyby's on video :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am asking because there is no price listed that I can understand in the video :D
All I got was the quote and the video which I posted. No idea how much or if it's commercially available. :( It could be a fake for all I know. :dunno:

Wow...that's incredibly cool!!! That probably doesn't use 35mm Kodachrome, does it? :)

Wow...that's incredibly cool!!! That probably doesn't use 35mm Kodachrome, does it? :)
Looking at it I got the impression it was a HS-Digital camera. The film HS camers usually have a large to very large film holder. The way a convential HS film camera works is to take many frames per second and then play back at normal speed. SO you would use up much more film per time period then you would when shooting normal. A digital camera that is HS would need to be capable of doing fast data dumps and having a CCD that can quickly be cleared of the residual image. It thus can be smaller as there is no need for all the film.

I've worked with (and designed) high speed digital cameras for several years. The most important issue is the pixel rate (pixels/second). The one I'm working with now will do 800 Megapixels/second but the minimum image width is about 2300 pixels. It will deliver 150x2352 images at about 2000 frames/second although we normally run it a bit slower because that improves the image quality. Acquiring and storing data that fast can be challenging though.

I've worked with (and designed) high speed digital cameras for several years. The most important issue is the pixel rate (pixels/second). The one I'm working with now will do 800 Megapixels/second but the minimum image width is about 2300 pixels. It will deliver 150x2352 images at about 2000 frames/second although we normally run it a bit slower because that improves the image quality. Acquiring and storing data that fast can be challenging though.

I used to be a user of digital imaging for microscopy. It can be challenging but in the PC world some high speed video cards use direct memory transfer to store the images. One way of reading the CCD faster is to read from all four sides of the chip.

Lance- Is it any faster reading CMOS chips as compared to CCDs? I don't think you need to "bucket brigade" the data to the A/D convertor, but CMOS was just coming out when i left the field so I could be wrong.

Back