High School Dropout steals identity, goes to Harvard.

So, if she managed to get high enough scores for consideration by such schools, why did she do so poorly in high school? Environmental issues? Who knows?

As long as she wasn't involved in foul play on the other woman's disappearance, she'll probably end up on federal probation and get a chance to apply what she learned but without the benefit of the degrees. She has a chance to turn things around and still largely benefit from her actions, if she so chooses.

So she's obviously got some smarts about her, why didn't she just go the normal route and finish her high school education and then go to Harvard or Columbia? No no, I guess compiling a false identity and trying to maintain it while not getting caught is much easier.

Sadly, William, it IS. Do you honestly think that a Harvard or a Columbia is even going to take a glance at someone who ever had poor grades in HS? No way, no matter how good the test scores were.

I got a 33 on the ACT and a 1490 on the SAT including a perfect math score (both well above 90th percentile), and couldn't even get into Wisconsin (2.2 HS GPA). My sister had lower scores but an honor-roll-worthy GPA and she got in - she's now a NASA engineer. I also went with my brother to a pre-admission tour at MIT. We were told "We'd like to see mostly A's, maybe a couple of A-'s, if you have any B's on your record we're going to want an explanation."

Colleges don't admit people on smarts, they do it on all the numbers (tests + GPA + school size). As smart as this girl was, she didn't have the numbers, and she'd have never gotten in. In fact, even if she'd been the valedictorian of her high school class, coming from Townsend, Montana, Population 1867, she still wouldn't have gotten in.

We were told "We'd like to see mostly A's, maybe a couple of A-'s, if you have any B's on your record we're going to want an explanation."

Colleges don't admit people on smarts, they do it on all the numbers (tests + GPA + school size). As smart as this girl was, she didn't have the numbers, and she'd have never gotten in.

Which raises the question... how'd she know that the girl whose identity she stole got straight A's?

Which raises the question... how'd she know that the girl whose identity she stole got straight A's?

Ah... One is street smart, and so she was probably able to determine that the other was book smart. ;)

Actually, I can imagine that when she decided to assume someone else's identity, she probably went looking for someone her age who had recently disappeared or died, and saw a newspaper article bemoaning the tragic disappearance of "a straight-A student..." Kinda like how we all know Natalee Holloway was a straight-A student.

I wouldn't worry about her too much. I believe in some jails, they actually provide opportunities to earn degrees.

Back