High Blood Pressure and Third Class

jer.lawrence

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jer.lawrence
If I have a blood pressure reading over the maximum limit (due to "white coat syndrome" -- no diagnosed hypertension), what should I expect after that?

My doctor has spoken with me about starting medication, but we haven't started on anything yet. If I were to be over the limit at the time of the reading, could I go back to my doctor and start on BP meds? If I were to do that, would I still have to go through the whole deferral process? Or, could I just come back to the AME a couple / few weeks later once my BP has gone down due to the meds?

Thanks again, you guys are all great.

The 7 days that the AME can hold your papers before turning them in for deferral (student pilots only get 7 days) is hardly enough for your doc to turn around and write "stable, well controlled on XYZ meds, no side effects, not being watched for Coronary Disease (CAD)".

So, better get it controlled first. Get the letter, the 3 labs, the normal EKG.

Trying to take a shortcut here is GUARANTEED to backfire. Same goes for your orally controlled diabetes (well controlled, no retinopathy, nephropathy, neuropathy, no known CAD) and a within 60 day HbA1c.

Furthermore, at age 28, with TWO of the risk factors already for CAD (hypertension and Diabetes) you're considering shortcutting them? How smart is that? How's the family history? (and PLEASE don't tell us you smoke).

You can try but don't come back complaining. I SERIOUSLY told you so. And, I tend to NOT repeat myself.

Last edited:
When the doctor says that you have "white coat syndrome", you actually have high blood pressure. I know because that is what they told me when I went in the first time. I've been on medication now for about 20 years. Don't screw around with it, just start the medication and then get stabilized before going in to get your medical.

About 6 months before I need my medical renewed I start going in to the doctors office to get my BP checked. The doctor needs 3 BP readings in the normal range for the medical. If my BP is high and I need a medication adjustment then I have time to get stabilized again.

Also, I bought one of those home BP machines and I found out that my BP is lower in the afternoon then it is in the morning, so I always get my medical in the afternoon.

I have never failed to get my medical by doing it this way.

Another thing, no alcohol the night before and get 8 hours of sleep.

I hope this helps a little and good luck!:wink2:

I think I may have given the wrong impression -- I'm not quite as bad off as I may seem from the posts. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes it was really a motivating factor for me to turn my life around. It's been well controlled (5.7 A1c now, which is actually high by my standards) with no medication since then, about 3 years ago. I don't typically have high blood pressure, but it's higher than I'd like (130 / 80 -- maybe pre-hypertension?). I get nervous at the doctor's so readings then tend to go a bit higher.

Dr. Bruce, when I first read your post, I was kind of angry, but really, you're totally correct. I am not a smoker, I don't drink alcohol, very rarely have caffeine, watch my carb intake, my salt intake, and have lately started walking / jogging with my wife. We also just ordered an exercise bike that we both plan on using so we can continue to get our cardio in when we're exercising. I DO have a family history of heart disease, and my father (at age 56) just suffered a debilitating stroke. I've been the sole caretaker for him for the past 2 years. If that hasn't opened my eyes, I don't know what will.

So, thank you everyone, for your encouragement and even the criticism. I appreciate it, and strive to be a better person. I've been trying to use the opportunity to take pilot lessons as yet another motivation in my life to stay / get in better shape.

That said, I did just leave the AME's office with my 3rd class medical. My blood pressure was 135/80, and I took the note that Dr. Bruce suggested from my PCP with me. It turned out to be much less stressful than I was anticipating. So, again, thanks for all the help, and I'll try to not seem like such the "Mr. Negative" from here on out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back