high altitude training?

airguy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
airguy
Hey doc - are there still places available that offer high altitude hypoxia training for John Q. Public? I'm getting close to finishing my RV and it's quite capable of getting me up there into never-never land if I'm not careful. I'd like to know what to expect, I understand symptoms are highly individual. I will have oxygen on board and use it, but systems can always fail.

FAA at OKC has a program (free) that includes water landings and such. Free but you need to get there on your own (and pay for the hotel).

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_education/aerospace_physiology/

If you're a member of CAP (Ben, don't start, ok?) you may be able to put together group for the training at a nearby USAF base, assuming the base has the facilities.

Before sequestration, CAMI had a traveling group that would bring a portable chamber to different locations and do a seminar and a chamber ride. Page 2 and 3 of this FAA document describe what Murphey mentioned and the Portable Reduced Oxygen Training Enclosure I experienced last winter.

Becoming hypoxic was an interesting experience for me. The time hacks for the instructor to check in with me and ask how I was doing was 60-seconds between hacks. But in my oxygen deprived brain, I swear hack 3 and 4 happened back to back. I didn't black out, but boy was my sense of time all messed up.

Taking this training whether going to OKC or doing the portable experience is worth it. You learn a lot of good theory, and then get to see how you personally respond to the lack of oxygen.

Attachments

• AMED.pdf
    464.2 KB · Views: 530
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back