Hiccups

U

Unregistered

I've been prescribed Baclofen (muscle relaxant) to suppress hiccups which have been going on for 4 days, off and on, and are wearing me out and causing gastric problems. Baclofen is on the FAA prohibited list. Unfortunately, I did not check the list before picking the prescription at the pharmacy. So far, I haven't taken any, and if it torpedoes my eligibility to fly, probably won't.

Hopefully, this is a short-term problem. Is there a waiting period after taking the medication after which I can safely, and legally, fly? Or is it just No, No, No!?

I'm surprised that hiccups themselves are not medically disqualifying.

I've been prescribed Baclofen (muscle relaxant) to suppress hiccups which have been going on for 4 days, off and on, and are wearing me out and causing gastric problems. Baclofen is on the FAA prohibited list. Unfortunately, I did not check the list before picking the prescription at the pharmacy. So far, I haven't taken any, and if it torpedoes my eligibility to fly, probably won't.

Hopefully, this is a short-term problem. Is there a waiting period after taking the medication after which I can safely, and legally, fly? Or is it just No, No, No!?

Since you filled the script, the record exists in the Great and Vast Health Care Database that you filled the script. aka, if the FAA went a-looking, the would be a-finding.

What I've seen Dr. Bruce Chien say to others in the past when an airmen has filled a script on a prohibited list is to go back to the prescribing doctor, return the entire prescription, and get him to create a letter on his letterhead saying for your condition, he prescribed XX doses of Baclofen, but that you have returned ALL of these doses to him and he (the doc) took care of destroying them. And that you never ever consumed the medication.

Then work with your doc to find something that will help you and is on the "it's allowed" list

Photocopy that doctor's letter and keep original in a very safe place. Who knows how long you'll need it when the FAA comes a-asking.

Then at your next medical, do declare you were prescribed the med on the 8500-8 form, but hand over the copy of doctor's letter to the the AME and relate the story that you were seen, diagnosed, prescribed, filled, but never took the med.

And perhaps getting a good laugh about Calvin having hiccups would at least easy your suffering a bit.

11 sips of water swallowed, without breathing in between has cured everyone I have ever seen with them. Of course, this sounds like more than what most people get as 'hiccups'.
I have seen people with chest problems (is it the vagal nerve or recurrent laryngeal n. that runs through there and is involved?) get hiccups ie pulmonary abscess or pneumonia or tumor; surely this is not your case & hope you get some relief soon.

What I've seen Dr. Bruce Chien say to others in the past when an airmen has filled a script on a prohibited list is to go back to the prescribing doctor, return the entire prescription, and get him to create a letter on his letterhead saying for your condition, he prescribed XX doses of Baclofen, but that you have returned ALL of these doses to him and he (the doc) took care of destroying them. And that you never ever consumed the medication.
That's true, and he's usually given it when the airman wants to erase a history of medication that not only might be disqualifying, but might raise suspicion of some underlying bogeyman diagnosis (like Xanax for an anxiety disorder, or similar).

I'm not sure this case falls under that rubric. OP, does your doctor want you on this medication indefinitely, or is it just a transient thing to hopefully stop your attack? I would hope it's the latter, since if I had chronic hiccups I'd be more concerned about the underlying cause, as Dave Taylor mentioned.

I really don't understand this worry about medications being given for transient conditions. A few years ago I had a repetitive stress injury to my neck and right shoulder due to poor posture at the computer. I had an ongoing muscle spasm that really, really hurt. My PCP suggested Flexeril plus physical therapy, and of course Flexeril is grounding. But I wanted to get rid of the spasm, so I filled the script, self grounded while I was taking the Flexeril, and then when the spasm was gone I stopped taking it and resumed flying. At my next 3rd class I reported the visit and the PT but not the medication... because I was no longer taking it!

Sure, technically when I ungrounded myself I might have been at a slight risk of getting slapped by the FAA because I hadn't finished the script, and based on the prescribing dosage, had no way to prove that I was no longer taking it. YMMV, but personally I'm not so afraid of the FAA that I'm going to worry about that. I could be wrong but my hunch is that it's the sort of thing that if they get you for it, it's because they want you for some other (medical related) reason. I do my best not to give them any other reason.

Since you filled the script, the record exists in the Great and Vast Health Care Database that you filled the script. aka, if the FAA went a-looking, the would be a-finding
As an FYI - I had a prescription called in two years ago. When I went to pick it up - I declined to accept it due to the cost.
I never had it in my possession and forgot about it. Last year when I went for my medical, the AME asked me "why are you taking X?, you did not report it" I explaned what happened and he was satisfied.

The lesson was, once the pharmacist has the script, it goes in the database.

I can totally grok that is what happens. Especially in this age of connective computertivity. My PCP never hands me a paper scrip anymore. I'm now asked what pharmacy I use, and then it's bits and bytes over a wire to the pill counter.

And the comment on cost hit me too once. For DM2, I take Metformin. Usually, I go to Walmart (way far a way) and get 90-day supply for $10-15. Then one time, I chose to have the refill sent to CVS that was very close to my domicile. I was shocked when the cashier rang up $75. That difference really makes the extra 30 minutes round trip to Walmart more palatable

As an FYI - I had a prescription called in two years ago. When I went to pick it up - I declined to accept it due to the cost.
I never had it in my possession and forgot about it. Last year when I went for my medical, the AME asked me "why are you taking X?, you did not report it" I explaned what happened and he was satisfied.

I don't doubt you, but I really doubt any records at the pharmacy will every be seen unless the doctor calls them up.
It might have been in your medical records if you see a doctor that is associated with a group.

I don't doubt you, but I really doubt any records at the pharmacy will every be seen unless the doctor calls them up.
It might have been in your medical records if you see a doctor that is associated with a group.

It was the AME at my flight physical. I don't claim to understand the interconnectivity - But I walked into CVS with a paper script and dropped it off. When I came back a few hours later, I declined the perscription when I found out how much it was.

The AME asked me why I take it. I told him I had not taken it in years. He said he is sees a recent perscription for it. He was satisfied with the explanation and did not make an issue of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back