Hiccup Cure

Len Lanetti

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Lenny
ON THIS DAY: In 1922, Charlie Osborne started the longest attack of

hiccups. He hiccupped over 435 million times before stopping (he died

in 1991, 11 months after his hiccups ended).

My "never fails" cure for hiccups is a tablespoon of sugar with either lemon on lime juice.

Any other cures?

Len

Anthony said:
Yeah, I think of Rosie O'Donnel, then instead of hiccuping I throw up. :)

LOL!

I just ignore them and get my mind working on something else. Works every time.

Judy

Drink water. At least 10 swallows without breathing. If it doesn't work the first time, repeat until it does.

This seems like a funny subject but a few years ago, I had them for over three days. I was in agony by the second day. My stomach muscles were rebelling and I hadn't slept at all the night before. Mid-third day I went to the hospital. They gave me some muscle relaxants. It finally worked after a few hours. I slept for 16 flippin' hours.

To this day, I still get nervous with the odd bout of hiccups. And yes, I tried all the folk cures. Lots of research on the Internet at the time.

Try putting bitters on a lime and then suck on it. When I was a bartender I never saw this method fail.

Len Lanetti said:
ON THIS DAY: In 1922, Charlie Osborne started the longest attack of

hiccups. He hiccupped over 435 million times before stopping (he died

in 1991, 11 months after his hiccups ended).

My "never fails" cure for hiccups is a tablespoon of sugar with either lemon on lime juice.

Any other cures?

Len

I just consider what hiccups are, when your diaphragm gets out of synch with the ribcage muscles. So what I do is to exhale totally and completely squeezing out every bit of air I can with both ribs and diaphragm, I then hold it out as long as I can bear then inhale in an even and controlled manner returning to normal breathing. Works every time.

sere said:
Try putting bitters on a lime and then suck on it. When I was a bartender I never saw this method fail.

Larry,

My cure is a variation of one I learned from a bartender.

Len

Carol said:
Drink water. At least 10 swallows without breathing. If it doesn't work the first time, repeat until it does.

But God it hurts if you hiccup mid swallow. BTDT.

My wife had hers cured by a friend who works in accounting at the hospital.."Another bill just came through and it seems you still owe $X0,000.00." Poof.

Not all hiccups are innocuous:
Her dad had them when in the hospital for surgery. He developed a dangerous and undetected pneumonia/pleuritis and it turned out the infection was irritating the phrenic (breathing) nerve and as soon as they p. started healing, the hiccups went away.

For mild ones I use Carol's drinking cure, but its 13 sips around here!

I thought that hiccups were caused by a minor amount of fluid in the lungs; I've always cured them by doing a handstand against a wall for two minutes while breathing slowly and deeply. Don't know if my cause or cure are right or wrong, but it seems to work.

Dan

Dan Smith said:
I thought that hiccups were caused by a minor amount of fluid in the lungs; I've always cured them by doing a handstand against a wall for two minutes while breathing slowly and deeply. Don't know if my cause or cure are right or wrong, but it seems to work.

Dan

Whatever works for you. If I tried to stand on my hands for two minutes anywhere I'd probably pass out, collapse, or maybe even go into a coma. But then the hiccups would be gone so maybe that *is* the ticket. ;)

My grandpa would give us a spoonful of vinegar. Worked every time.

-Rich

I was always told hiccups were a sign I was growing....I'm waiting.

Merf
5'6.9999"

A variation on what Henning posted: exhale slow, even, and completely. All of it... Hold as long as you can stand it. Inhale slow, even, and completely. Hold as long as you can stand it.

Repeat 3x. Works every time.

Licketysplit said:
Place sugar between the teeth and gum like one would with dip. Works for me every time. Try it.

Okay. I am not sure I even want to know what people do with "dip." I will take your word for it. :)

Carol said:
Okay. I am not sure I even want to know what people do with "dip."
I used to fly a plane, shared with a local cowboy. Whenever I got in, there was an open 7up can down by the fuel selector. I 'almost always' never paid much attention to it. Man, you do NOT want to know what pours out of a chew cup.
:eek:

Let'sgoflying! said:
I used to fly a plane, shared with a local cowboy. Whenever I got in, there was an open 7up can down by the fuel selector. I 'almost always' never paid much attention to it. Man, you do NOT want to know what pours out of a chew cup.

EEEEEWWWWWWWW

Go lateral ~1 inch from the person's carotid artery and superior ~ 1 inch from the clavical and press firmly with thumb or fingertip, just shy of painful and they will soon cease hiccuping.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Go lateral ~1 inch from the person's carotid artery and superior ~ 1 inch from the clavical and press firmly with thumb or fingertip, just shy of painful and they will soon cease hiccuping.

What's that, the Vulcan nerve pinch?

Let'sgoflying! said:

That's just wrong. Anyway, that's what the storm window is for. Lacking an opening window, like in a certain Navion, the D cell flashlight will do. Just remember to remove the batts first and clean it out before the rightful owner shows up. Gawd, how do I know these things...

No, that would be pressure BEYOND the point of pain.

The right amount of gentle but firm pressure on that point inhibits the phrenic nerve to the diaphram muscle with the desired resultant departure of hiccups..

lancefisher said:
What's that, the Vulcan nerve pinch?

Back