Hi/Lo pressure systems and precipitation

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Are there any characteristic differences regarding precip, mainly rain in a widespread or localized area of high or low pressure areas?

Does rain fall differently?

Generally, 'round these parts there isn't much precip associated with high pressure.

I believe the type of fronts that develop along the pressure boundaries (warm, cold, occluded, etc) matter much more when it comes to the type of precipitation you will see.

I believe the type of fronts that develop along the pressure boundaries (warm, cold, occluded, etc) matter much more when it comes to the type of precipitation you will see.

:yeahthat: See the FAA Aviation Weather book for a full discussion on point.

Www.AvWxWorkshops.com. Do what i did and pay for some one on one training. Scott is a cfi and meteorologist. Foreflight hired him so hes busy but worth it if he can get you in his sked.

Cold front = precip behind it.
Warm front = precip before it.

High = generally clear skies
Low = clouds and / or precip, but not always.

A hurricane is a large, organized, very deep Low. So far, nobody knows what makes them organize.

Here in these parts, lows mean rain, wind, TS is a commin'.

Hurricanes that start in the ITCZ is pretty easy to figure why they start. Dust off africa mixing with winds from different directions from each hemisphere to get them spinning. Hurricanes are earths Air Condition System. That why people thought there would be more/bigger ones with the supposed global warming. Notice how that is not occurring. Ones that form in the gulf are a little harder to figure why they form other than Lows Spin one way and Highs the other.

Oh and last weekend there was a High over eastern OK but low ceilings and mist. There was a low over NM that had everything stuck.

Back