Hi (first post)

LoLPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
LoLPilot
Hi everyone! I am new here but I used to be flatlander88 on the student pilot forum. I can't find it anymore so I assum it is now defunct.

I'm taking my private pilot checkride on July 24. This has been 3 years in the making. I'm a full time graduate student and I had to take a full year off due to some financial problems. I have two big questions: any recent PPL checkride grads here who have any tips they would like to offer up?

Second, I am unsure what exactly to do after I finish my PPL. I want to get my tailwheel endorsement but after that I'm not sure what the best way to go about flying is. I do not want to be a career pilot. Eventually I'd like to get my commercial just so I can do things like banner rows and photography flights because those look fun, but I only want to fly for enjoyment. I know that at the $130 it costs to rent the kinds of 172's I've been training in around me I will not be able to get my 50-100 hours a year that seems to be a magic number for proficiency. I've thought of joining a club, though that doesn't really make a big dent in rental costs it seems and then you also have the dues. I've thought of buying something like a Champ or Colt, renting a small t-hangar and then trying to offset some of the costs by allowing an FBO to rent it as a VFR only plane. I would not expect to recover all costs but I think such an arrangement might make that a realistic option. My typical mission would be me, myself and I flying to an oddball small airport near me. I am within a Class B operational area and I'd like to fly at night so I need the electrical system for lights and a transponder. I have no delusions about flying myself to destinations that I need to be at. I think something old and simple like that would present low enough insurance, fuel, maintenance and annual costs to make it doable.

One of the best/simplest ways to achieve your goals is to just get out there flying.

Look for well operated and affordable clubs in your area. That can provide access to good aircraft without killing your bank accounts. And it will allow you to experience other airplanes before you lock in on sole ownership.

Start doing some cross country flying. This will help "stretch your wings" and add both hours and experience. Pilots n Paws is a good way to find opportunities to do this.

Look for local aviation groups and seminars in your area and attend. You can learn quite a bit by hanging out with other aviators.

Where are you anyhow? Maybe some of us here are your neighbors and we didn't know it.

I am in St. Louis MO! Originally from southern IL. LoLPilot stands for land of Lincoln, not laugh out loud ;)

Ah, I bought into LOL. Anywho, welcome to the madness. Now, pass the ride and fly. All you mention are sound ideas, I'd probably lean towards a club. Buying a plane can be reasonable, but you have to be prepared for maintenance expenses, and they could increase greatly fast. Good luck on the ride!

Welcome. You need to run all the numbers of your various options ,and see what works best for your situation,good luck.

I would say don't feel pressured to do anything at all other than fly around with you new VFR pilot's (insert name of the week for the green card with Orville and Wilber's likeness) Start training for your IFR/Commercial..whatever, when you're good and ready.

Would it be generally acceptable to (after I pass my checkride - fingers crossed) put up a notice on the bulletin board at the FBO I'm training at to say something of the effect of "New private pilot looking for pilot friends to get hundred dollar hamburgers with and maintain proficiency?"

You asked for tips:

Print or write out a abbreviated list of all the ACS flight items. Then rent the plane and do them all (except hood stuff). Start with a flight plan, briefer, chrckpoints, etc. Then divert, etc. Just run through them all. You'll be your own worst critic so even if you think you've slid back a bit do not give up. On your checkride day you'll be flying at your best.

Maybe if you can have another recent student give you a mock oral, especially if they used the same DPE.

Don't ask the DPE questions...I did and wished I hadn't but it was kinda funny too.

Do not study the night before the ride. Just get good rest.

I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself with the flight club stuff just yet, instead nail this PPL first.

You sound ready though :)

Would it be generally acceptable to (after I pass my checkride - fingers crossed) put up a notice on the bulletin board at the FBO I'm training at to say something of the effect of "New private pilot looking for pilot friends to get hundred dollar hamburgers with and maintain proficiency?"

IMG_3812.JPG

You asked for tips:

Print or write out a abbreviated list of all the ACS flight items. Then rent the plane and do them all (except hood stuff). Start with a flight plan, briefer, chrckpoints, etc. Then divert, etc. Just run through them all. You'll be your own worst critic so even if you think you've slid back a bit do not give up. On your checkride day you'll be flying at your best.

Maybe if you can have another recent student give you a mock oral, especially if they used the same DPE.

Don't ask the DPE questions...I did and wished I hadn't but it was kinda funny too.

Do not study the night before the ride. Just get good rest.

I wouldn't get to ahead of yourself with the flight club stuff just yet, instead nail this PPL first.

You sound ready though :)

Thanks! Almost all of the students at my school (Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, ATP) use the same DPE. Our ground instructor is available to give mock orals and I plan to take advantage of that. I did self-study on the ground stuff but I've got the Jeppesen Private Pilot manual, the ASE Pilot's Handbook, the Jeppesen Oral Study Guide, Gleim's written study guide, and I've been doing studying using the Sporty's private pilot app. During a mock checkride for my end of course stage check, I busted altitude on steep turns but our chief instructor passed me as it were. I am apprehensive about power on stalls because I have had a wing drop fairly aggressively and (like a noob) I hit both rudder AND aileron. Didn't spin but my instructor was right on it and was like "STEP on it. No aileron." He probably saved my lunch that day but I did the next one correctly. I like the flight planning. I'm polishing my ground references and I've already selected my airplane for my checkride (it's the plane I did my intro flight in) and so I am getting first pick of it and I am going to get acquainted with its logbooks. My CFI is a great guy and he's part time (he's an Air Force guy as well!) and he seems to have great confidence in me (or so he says haha).

Don’t stress it, if the CFI signs you of you are ready! I was super stressed for my PPL checkride but if I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn’t have been!

You are just showing that DPE, you know how to take off, find your way to another airport, do some turns, find your way home and can safely land (with maybe the most focus on the last part).

Read the PPL ACS, get the little blue book with the oral prep and study that.

You will do fine!

Don’t stress it, if the CFI signs you of you are ready! I was super stressed for my PPL checkride but if I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn’t have been!

You are just showing that DPE, you know how to take off, find your way to another airport, do some turns, find your way home and can safely land (with maybe the most focus on the last part).

Read the PPL ACS, get the little blue book with the oral prep and study that.

You will do fine!

Thanks Allahdin! I've got the Little Blue Book for sure!

One more bit of advice, download the ACS from the FAA’s website and be comfortable with all sections in it..

Don't worry about after... focus on passing the CR first.

I'm sure you read these, but if not, here:
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/captain-levy’s-checkride-advice.15706/
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/private-pilot-checkride-full-writeup.106640/ - I actually printed this post and tried to follow his advice to the letter
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/ladies-and-gentlemen.110032/

Also, YouTube has some pretty good check ride videos!

Good luck!

Thank you! I checked those threads out and they were helpful. I know it sounds awful but I've also been trying to mentally prepare myself for the pink slip. When I got my motorcycle license I failed the parking lot road test til I cheated and took it on a scooter. Later I took an advanced rider course and got second in my class. In my grad program I'm in I had to do a supplement to my comprehensive exam because my panel was split pass/fail. I now teach the subject that failed me on the initial exam. I tend to be bitter about not succeeding but I've traditionally had a never-say-die attitude.

Back