Hi Everyone

Iwannafly172

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
My name is Mike. I'm 54, I Live in Washington State and I'm a Student Pilot.
I am just starting my training and Intend to have my own plane.
I would be THRILLED to have a Cessna 150..or even a 120, but a 172 would be more Practical as I could go on trips with my Family and I would NEVER have to go thru the HASSLE of getting on a Commercial Plane again.
The biggest reason I want to learn to fly is I am just absolutely HOOKED on it..
I was able to be in the left seat of a Cessna 150 a couple of months ago, and as soon as the wheels left the runway I KNEW I had to be a Pilot:)
I hope to make friends here and maybe get some training advice as well..

We've all been there. Good luck with your pursuit of wings!

Great adventure you have launched, here. Keep us posted on your progress.

A lot of good mentoring available here (with the occasional goofball, sorta like life), and it's a great ride.

Best of luck on this amazing journey. Looking forward to reading progress updates.

My name is Mike. I'm 54, I Live in Washington State and I'm a Student Pilot.
I am just starting my training and Intend to have my own plane.
I would be THRILLED to have a Cessna 150..or even a 120, but a 172 would be more Practical as I could go on trips with my Family and I would NEVER have to go thru the HASSLE of getting on a Commercial Plane again.
The biggest reason I want to learn to fly is I am just absolutely HOOKED on it..
I was able to be in the left seat of a Cessna 150 a couple of months ago, and as soon as the wheels left the runway I KNEW I had to be a Pilot:)
I hope to make friends here and maybe get some training advice as well..

Dude. Welcome.

Given a choice between a Cessna 150 or a Cessna 120 - go for the 120. Less complex, easy to fly, about the same performance. Or a Taylorcraft...

My personal recomendation is that if you are any good with your hands, give some serious consideration to buying a used homebuilt.

And, when it comes to the medical it's a no-brainer for 95% of the people - but you don't want to be one of the exceptions. Know that you will pass before you go (no history of the wrong medication or diagnosis or...). Any doubts can probably be answered here in medical matters (you can post anonymously).

(with the occasional goofball, sorta like life),

I just don't get no respect.

Great adventure you have launched, here. Keep us posted on your progress.

A lot of good mentoring available here (with the occasional goofball, sorta like life), and it's a great ride.

Occasional goofball reporting for duty, sir! Did someone call? ;)

Welcome!

Hi Mike, welcome aboard! I bought a 152 about 20 hours into my PPL, as I knew that becoming a pilot was something that I was absolutely going to accomplish. I loved the little plane, and it was probably the nicest 152 I have yet to see. Not only that, but they are about as cheap to maintain and operate as any certified plane is going to be.

That said, after I got my license, my wife started flying with me to go places, and it wasn't long before she insisted that if we were going to "do this" (fly to places together), we needed a bigger airplane. I now fly a Beech Sierra, which isn't the fastest plane in the world, but it is one of the most comfortable 4 seat aircraft out there. I'd probably do it the same way again, but there's also something to be said for buying the plane that you know you'll be flying two years from now. Good luck!

Back