Hi everyone

Ryan Ferguson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan Ferguson
Hello everyone,

Looks like most of the old AOPA gang is here. Nice site ya'll have going here - WTG Ken, Diana, et. al.

What's going on with you folks? My time for message boards has been dramatically reduced, unfortunately. My company has kept me very, very busy. Tomorrow I leave for Simuflite in Dallas for my HS125-700 (Hawker 700) initial training. If all goes well, I'll leave on the 21st with a fresh temporary airman certificate with an HS125 type rating attached. If not, well, I guess I'll leave on the 22nd instead. :) I'll try to get some pics of the facility and share how the training experience goes.

Just wanted to pop in, say hello, and hear what you're up to. Share, share away. Ben - get the IR yet? If no, why not? Ken - how's the Citabria treating you? Bruce - what can I do about my allergies, which are turning into a real PITA? Allegra-D works great, but I can't take it when I fly! Diana - still flying akro? Ed - how's that Mooney doing? Everyone else - how's life?

-Ryan

Ryan Ferguson said:
Hello everyone,

Bruce - what can I do about my allergies, which are turning into a real PITA? Allegra-D works great, but I can't take it when I fly!

Bruce probably has other answers, but for me and my very brutal but also very seasonal specific allergies (May 18-June 1) a steroid cocktail applied by syringe to my posterior works wonders. I wait until the blisters start popping up on my eyeballs and the roof of my mouth starts itching, then call the doctor for the annual shot. If your allergies are equally season specific it might work for you. The big advantage is cost--the shot is about 1/2 the price of a prescription drug for the same duration.

FWIW, YMMV, check before believing me, but I thought Claritin was FAA "okay to fly"?

Ryan Ferguson said:
Hello everyone,
Hi Ryan! We missed ya! Glad you made it here. :D
Ryan Ferguson said:
Tomorrow I leave for Simuflite in Dallas for my HS125-700 (Hawker 700) initial training. If all goes well, I'll leave on the 21st with a fresh temporary airman certificate with an HS125 type rating attached. :)
Wow. Sounds great! So, are you going to be able to make it to Gaston's?
Ryan Ferguson said:
Diana - still flying akro?
Still trying. And I'm still in search of "the truth" about the best way to do acro in the Citabria. ;)

Made a few Citabria videos:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1557

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2025

Took my father for an acro ride:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004

It sure is nice to have you here; come back and stay awhile and add your input when you have time. :yes:

Last edited:
Ryan, Claritin is perfectly permissible in the FAA world of medicine. The -D(decongestant) is pseudafed whichi is also permissible. :)

Alavert is the same medication as Claritin, half the price, or even less than half if you go to Costco with a coupon.

It is modestly effective, but not as effective an antihistamine as some of the sedating ones.

You can ask your doctor about Flonase or other nasal steroid spray, also OK on the FAA list.

Hey Ryan, thanks for checking in! Glad everything is working well for you. Hope the move went OK. (We're moving to Jax, did I tell you that? The house sold Thursday after 5 days on the market.)

Air Orlando ain't the same w/o you, buddy.

Diana said:
Hi Ryan! We missed ya! Glad you made it here. :D

Wow. Sounds great! So, are you going to be able to make it to Gaston's?

Alas, probably not. The few days I have off, I'd rather be sitting at home with the family than flying. The ol' TwinCo has been a lifesaver, as I've been using it to commute to/from Tampa many days per month. But it's no longer my favorite place to sit, as a result!

Still trying. And I'm still in search of "the truth" about the best way to do acro in the Citabria. ;)

Uhhhh... arm strength exercises? :)

Made a few Citabria videos:

Way cool.

It sure is nice to have you here; come back and stay awhile and add your input when you have time. :yes:

I'll try! :)

bbchien said:
Ryan, Claritin is perfectly permissible in the FAA world of medicine. The -D(decongestant) is pseudafed whichi is also permissible. :)

Hi Bruce... Yeah, problem is Claritin is only slightly better than nothing. I feel NO effects from Allegra-D and it works great. My allergies have become year-round, and I constantly feel the symptoms (itchy eyes, runny/itchy nose, lots of sneezing.) I wish Allegra-D was FAA-approved.

Maybe I need to go the rump-roast-route like Ed.

Ken Ibold said:
Hey Ryan, thanks for checking in! Glad everything is working well for you. Hope the move went OK. (We're moving to Jax, did I tell you that? The house sold Thursday after 5 days on the market.)

Air Orlando ain't the same w/o you, buddy.

Last I spoke with you, the move to Jax was a definite maybe. So off you go, eh? I hear the market's pretty hot there, too.

The housing market in Central FL is unbelievable. I sold my house for 100% more than I paid for it 5 years ago. Of course, the new house, though I have more equity in it, is also overpriced, so I haven't been able to translate that "market heat" into an actual gain in housing quality. But at least in theory, I have a higher net worth!

I hear AO has a whole new crop of instructors already. I remember it being that way too, but man it's, amazing. Some of the "senior instructors" there were students when I was still instructing! My old heli student is now the most senior heli instructor there (other than Gabi, of course.) Makes me feel old.

I need to go back and rent that Citabria of yours for an hour, one of these days. I miss having it at my fingertips all of the time! What a great ship.

Stay in touch.

-Ryan

Ryan Ferguson said:
I need to go back and rent that Citabria of yours for an hour, one of these days. I miss having it at my fingertips all of the time! What a great ship.
Do it before the end of the month, when it reverts to being all mine. :goofy: Although if you wait until after July 11 and come to Jax, it won't cost NEARLY as much to fly. ;)

Ryan Ferguson said:
Hi Bruce... Yeah, problem is Claritin is only slightly better than nothing. I feel NO effects from Allegra-D and it works great. My allergies have become year-round, and I constantly feel the symptoms (itchy eyes, runny/itchy nose, lots of sneezing.) I wish Allegra-D was FAA-approved.

Maybe I need to go the rump-roast-route like Ed.

From what I've been told by my doc, you have to take Claritin a few weeks before it has any meaningful effect. Bruce, is this correct??? You may want to try Flonase or Nasacort which are nasal steroids (not like the steroids Ed takes or Governor Arnold use to.) :)

Anthony said:
From what I've been told by my doc, you have to take Claritin a few weeks before it has any meaningful effect. Bruce, is this correct??? You may want to try Flonase or Nasacort which are nasal steroids (not like the steroids Ed takes or Governor Arnold use to.) :)

Thanks for the tip, Anthony. I've tried Claritin enough times (and for a prolonged continuous period) to know it doesn't work well for me. Tried Flonase too. That also takes a ramp-up period. Minimally effective.

Allegra-D is my dream drug!

Back