HF Antenna on Light Aircraft

Has anyone for any reason used an HF radio in a light aircraft and if so what was used for the antenna. I've had an amateur radio license for 30 years now and a friend of mine and I have had this idea of operating amateur radio field day from an aircraft. Of course this would require an HF antenna that could be used with an antenna tuner on the 20, 40 and possibly 80 meter amateur bands...

Hello All,

I'm reviving this very old thread as I'm interested in both airborne HF amateur radio, and in HF aircraft communications for a transatlantic flight. I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed and used HF equipment and antennas in a light aircraft. We have a 1982 Cessna T210N.

Unfortunately Chuck Forsberg, WA7KGX, passed away in 2015. He was the owner of the website referenced in this thread, and the site is no longer operating. I had looked at his site some time ago, and it had a lot of great information there. Unfortunately I didn't take the step of copying or printing it, and now it's gone. If anyone has a copy I'd surely appreciate if you could share it.

Thanks and regards,
Maurice.
Base: KCCR, Concord, CA.
KK6BXO

Last edited:
Hi Stan,

It’s great to hear from you after many years. I instantly recognized you from your recent photo!

Yes indeed, that is the Chuck Forsberg article that I remembered and have been looking for. It’s encouraging that Chuck’s contributions live on, at least for those who know how to search beyond simple googling. Thanks very much for finding and sending.

Best regards,
Maurice.

Hi Stan,

It’s great to hear from you after many years. I instantly recognized you from your recent photo!

Best regards,
Maurice.

:) The avatar photo is from 1972, Maurice; the hair is white now. It's great to reconnect.

Back