Hey TiVo users...

Haven't seen it yet - but as long as it goes away quickly and only shows up when I'm ffwding over commercials, I don't think it will bother me.

But we'll see. :)

Greebo said:
Haven't seen it yet - but as long as it goes away quickly and only shows up when I'm ffwding over commercials, I don't think it will bother me.

But we'll see. :)
So far, you mean. Once this works, who doesn't think that the advertising world isn't going to be jumping all over this and extending it to existing digital cable boxes and during regular broadcasts? They are like locusts when they're hungry for money...which is pretty much a permanent state of being.

If/when that happens, if the advertisements become such a problem, then I can live without cable. In fact, I already do. (DirectTV...) :) We had netflix for a long time with no movie channels, and sometimes I think about going back to it. :)

It only effects the fast forward feature. Most tivo users know the hack to activate the 30 skip feature. Its all over the internet (play--select--play--30-select). I should say as far as I can tell that is 30 second skip is not effected. Who know what's to come. Still, Tivo has made a lot of mistake this year and this may be another.

MythTV is looking better and better. Just need to buy your hardware before July 1.

It's a trend more than a 'big thing' right now. And not just for Tivo. They'll continue to put crap in front of you, despite the fact that you already pay for it through subscription costs or purchase (like DVDs that you can't bypass the previews now).

There will always be hacks around stuff. And there will always be folks working around the hacks. Look at the iPod/iTunes stuff. The hackers figured out ways to bypass some things in iTunes. Apple killed it with the later versions and forced everyone to upgrade. iPod hacks are eliminated with newer versions of firmware.

When technology starts reaching into the cockpit, watch them start to feed ads there, too. Want XM weather to your MFD? Sure...after these commercial announcements. Yes, we know you already PAID for the service. Doesn't matter. And it will start small. Just a little ticker down at the bottom. No one will complain too much, after all, it's just a LITTLE ticker. Then it will get bigger or become a 10 second popup. No big deal, I mean ten seconds is hardly an issue waiting for weather, right? And it will progress...

I'm sticking to my steam guages for now. Can't deliver ANYTHING to those. :D

Brian Austin said:
It's a trend more than a 'big thing' right now. And not just for Tivo. They'll continue to put crap in front of you, despite the fact that you already pay for it through subscription costs or purchase (like DVDs that you can't bypass the previews now).
Look at DVDs, especially Disney-produced ones. On some you can't FF through the previews anymore. It's just a matter of time before there are commercials in there that you can't skip past, either. Can you say "operation currently prohibited by disk"?

Ken Ibold said:
Look at DVDs, especially Disney-produced ones. On some you can't FF through the previews anymore. It's just a matter of time before there are commercials in there that you can't skip past, either. Can you say "operation currently prohibited by disk"?

Of course, Ken. Did you think that you owned the DVD?... or the DVD player? Nah. You vill watch the commercials and previews because the DVD Alliance said this "no skip" feature was vital to...something.

Look for the new law purchased from Congress that says you're criminally liable if you turn off your TV during the showing of "operation prohibited" content. The broadcast flag and the associated DRM literally gets them closer to that because your TV has to comply.

I'm so turned off by this and the lack of HD support I stopped buying DVDs. You KNOW the movie industry will ship HD DVDs once they're sure enough people have bought the "obsolete" ones they'll have pay again to replace.

I'm not getting the pop-up ads on my DirecTivos. This is one case where I'm happy DirecTV isn't implementing TiVo features. The guess is that the contract they ripped off TiVo with doesn't give them access to new TiVo technologies without paying extra.

I've had our Directivo for about 3 months and so far I like it. BUt if Tivo starts forcing ads on, It will be tootles for me to. I'm dissapointed in the interface but I haven't missed a Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis or Battlestar Gallactica episode this season. :)

Now, if only Babylon 5 was on again......

The full Babylon 5 series, and the movies, are available on DVD. ;)

Greebo said:

I hesitate to say this...I was a bit miffed that with actual work I wasn't around to defend myself so a TV series episode from the week before last had fallen off the Now Playing list on my main 260 hour DirecTivo. (It's because this can happen that it has a 260 hour capacity.) I knew from the news group the episodes are available online as bittorrents.

So I typed in
"My TV show" +torrent
into Google. The first link pointed me to it. I went to a fan web site to check which episode number I wanted. It took less than an hour to download a 368MB .avi with Azeurus.

The quality is amazing. Wide screen 16:9 HD with 5.1 digital sound. I could get used to this. :cool: It looks and sounds better on my PC than it does on TV.

I don't need no steekin' ad-laden TiVo. Oops. Did I say that?

I will go off to the reeducation camp now.

Last edited:
Greebo said:

Yes, I have season 1. But at 70 bucks a pop, I'd rather Tivo it for free.

$70?? Wow - we bought ours at the local BJ's Wholesale club for much less - just had to wait longer for each one to come out.

In that case, may I recommend the Sony DVD Recorder? I've been very pleased with it for transfering TiVo'd shows to my video archive.

corjulo said:
MythTV is looking better and better. Just need to buy your hardware before July 1.
What's happening on/after 7/1?

Greebo said:
$70?? Wow - we bought ours at the local BJ's Wholesale club for much less - just had to wait longer for each one to come out.

In that case, may I recommend the Sony DVD Recorder? I've been very pleased with it for transfering TiVo'd shows to my video archive.

I've only seen season 1 and 2 at best buy locally for 70 bucks including tax. (list was 60 something)

Thanks for the tip on the DVD recorder. I like Sony and thats a decent price.

Back