Hey, Lance. And anyone in WI N/A

Richard said:
Do you ever say, uff da? If so, can you use it in a sentence?

No, and no. I don't think that's a WI or MN saying... That sounds more like a yooper saying!

Bonus points to the first person who knows what a yooper is, eh? ;)

flyingcheesehead said:
No, and no. I don't think that's a WI or MN saying... That sounds more like a yooper saying!

Bonus points to the first person who knows what a yooper is, eh? ;)
Too easy, it's a person from the upper peninsula of MI.

Uff da is a square head saying no matter where they are, even in WI and especially MN.

flyingcheesehead said:
BZZZT! It's a MN Norwegian saying. Since only the airport is in WI, I guess you're off the hook.

We shopped in the Uff Da shop in Red Wing.
http://www.uffdashop.com/

Richard said:
Uff da is a square head saying no matter where they are, even in WI and especially MN.
Interesting. I didn't know what square heads meant. The first time I head that was from Al on Deadwood.

Time ta Google.

Richard said:
Do you ever say, uff da? If so, can you use it in a sentence?
I've heard ONE person use that, about 15 years ago - she was from MN.

I said something that surprised her, and she replied,
"Uff da! Are you sure?"

I never have..ever used it..nor will I ever..

though I seem to remember my aunt saying it all the time.

I am about a 30-40 minute drive from Red Wing.

First, for a Norwegian, "Uff Da!" is a complete sentence by itself. Generally, you only hear "Uff da!" as part of a Sven and Ole joke around here.

mikea said:
BZZZT! It's a MN Norwegian saying. Since only the airport is in WI, I guess you're off the hook.

What airport is in WI? MSP is inside the loop at the twin cities... I think you're thinking of CVG, which is in Kentucky.

Uff da! ;)

"Uff da" is also the name of a microbrewed beer from New Glarus, WI.
(Right Kent?)

--Kath

kath said:
"Uff da" is also the name of a microbrewed beer from New Glarus, WI.
(Right Kent?)

Hmmm... I think so. That'd be the New Glarus Brewery, who's most famous for their "Spotted Cow" (which is the stuff I brought to Gaston's). I'll have to look next time I hit a liquor store, but I think you are correct. Remind me to take my camera next time I go to the liquor store. ;)

Uff da? Yah, shure, yah betcha den der!

You hear it a LOT around this section of the frozen prairie from the natives (I am not a native), and other odd turns of phrase, such as "You wanna go with?" I would always stand around and wait for the question to be completed, not knowing that WAS the full question.

As for Uff da, I hear it from young and old. I hear it at the airport, (once even on the CTAF up near Walhalla), at work, and I was shocked to hear it from my niece the other day, but I suppose Uff da is better than a few other phrases she might have chosen.

terry

terzap said:
Uff da? Yah, shure, yah betcha den der!

You hear it a LOT around this section of the frozen prairie from the natives (I am not a native), and other odd turns of phrase, such as "You wanna go with?" I would always stand around and wait for the question to be completed, not knowing that WAS the full question.

As for Uff da, I hear it from young and old. I hear it at the airport, (once even on the CTAF up near Walhalla), at work, and I was shocked to hear it from my niece the other day, but I suppose Uff da is better than a few other phrases she might have chosen.

terry
Now I'll have to dig out my Uff da joke book I received from my mom's family up there, don cha know.

cameronbm said:
Red Wing (RGK) is in WI.

The town of Red Wing and the Uff Da! store are in Minnesota. For reasons that have never been clear to me, the Red Wing airport (KRGK) is across the Mississippi in Wisconsin.

Flying around red wing is a good way to have a midair.

There are tons of pilots flying up and down the river on either side going either direction.

jangell said:
Flying around red wing is a good way to have a midair.

There are tons of pilots flying up and down the river on either side going either direction.

Not to mention the high wires that cross at many points.

Back