"Hey, I stayed there, cool place"

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
That's the sentence I heard this morning while pouring myself a cup of coffee in the break room at work.
At first, I did not know who said it, to whom and why. I didn't even recognize the voice.
When I looked up and over my shoulder, I noticed an employee with a beard and empty coffee mug looking right at me.
We happened to be the only two humans in the break room and although I have never seen him before, I made a safe assumption that the sentence came out of his mouth and he was talking to me.
The slow rusty gears in my brain went into motion and without boring you with details of my thought processes, I concluded that the stranger was referring to my coffee mug with Amelia's Landing logo.
So I replied (after a lenghty 2-3 second pause) "oh yeah, sweet, so you know Jay?" to which he responded with a head shake. I gave him the short story of Jay & Mary's first hotel up north (sorry, Jay, to us Texans, OH, WI, MI or even MO are all "up north") and how they moved down here and made another one.
Again, he retorted "cool place". I nodded accordingly, sipping on my morning coffee, trying to lubricate those aforementioned slow gears.
"Took us only 5 hours to get there, it was fun", he continued. "Earthpounder alert! Earthpounder alert!" I heard the alarm going off in my head.
Not sure why I did not engage the bogey with my pilot talk and make him wish he had wings too. Maybe it was the lack of caffeine, maybe his body language that indicated he had to get back to work (at 9am? what can be so important at 9am?). Does not matter which factor played the biggest role, I made the choice to let him live today. I heard the calls in my brain "disengage ... break left" and I made a hard left and cruised to my cubicle.
Another life saved. This poor sap has no idea how close he came to losing his boring life ... and jumping into aviation. Decisions like these are never easy. But I feel better for having spared his life.

Jay, this one is for you. Your mug definitely works!
Surely you hear more stories like this one.

Attachments

• image1_Sm.JPG
    image1_Sm.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 130
From the part of Texas I was born and raised in we even considered the DFW area as yankee land... :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Lou -- sorry, I just saw this today. We just got back from Europe, where we visited Oktoberfest in Munich, and spent considerable time filling much larger mugs with amber fluids made of hops and grains!

I'm glad the mug has made it around! We sell a boatload of the things -- I searched the world over for a mug with a handle big enough for my whole hand, and strong enough to pound a nail. It really is a fine mug for hot beverages.
:)

Glad you had fun time in Zeh Zhermany and drank a lot of their sacred hops beverage. :)

We will be drinking your coffee from your mugs at your hotel pretty soon. If it all comes together, hopefully this weekend! Could we borrow the crew car again? :)

Glad you had fun time in Zeh Zhermany and drank a lot of their sacred hops beverage. :)

We will be drinking your coffee from your mugs at your hotel pretty soon. If it all comes together, hopefully this weekend! Could we borrow the crew car again? :)
If it's available, it's yours to use. :)

We had four groups of pilots trying to coordinate the car last weekend. The cats actually did an admirable job of herding themselves. ;)

Jay was in Iowa City right next to the airport.
Yup, we sold that hotel in 2011. We are now in a MUCH more GA-friendly part of the country, with 340+ days of VFR weather each year.
:)

And, of course, a few more things to do. Nothing like 15 miles of white sand beach to keep the guests happy! :)

Back