Hey, I know that guy!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Have any of our TRACON or Center controllers been working their shifts and recognized the tail/flight number as someone you knew personally?

Yes, both civilian planes and a couple F-15s, which is easy 'cause an individual flighter jock has their own call sign. Although this would be at a RAPCON, which is the Air Force version of a TRACON.

All the time...oh, nevermind, you said Tracon or Center. I'll be in the corner sipping my Blanton's if you need me.

Not uncommon around here to talk to a center controller that lives next door or flies from the same FBO.

I've had TRACON and Center controllers recognize me. It was more common when I bugged them for mapping airspace. Then they recognized my voice when I changed jobs and airplanes.

Yup... At the Epcot Food & Wine Festival Party for the Senses, I met an MCO controller. That was a major hub so he knew our call sign and we started chatting....

Yes, I personally knew several controllers at the nearby Class D where I used to live. When traveling, it always gave me a nice homey feeling to hear their voices on the radio, even if still 60 nm away.

One Sunday, five planes were on a breakfast run with flight following up and told to keep our squawks for the return trip. Mid-breakfast, one of them called the on-field restaurant in the next county to advise us of weather moving in. We finished up quickly and headed home in line pronto, and were driving to the house when it hit. It's nice to have people looking out for us!

P.S.--I took some of them flying, and even flew out them for lunch a few times.

Back