Would you subscribe to the channel? (If no, please specify why)

• YES

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • NO

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Skyfly Aviation

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skyfly Aviation
Hello, I have just recently opened up a new youtube channel Aviation related.

I need your help letting me know the good, the bad, and the worst about the channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4oltqw7SetU7w88oXHhYw

I'm truly sorry if you feel this is spam, I just wish to put out quality content and entertain. It's hard getting people to know your channel and grow, I understand that no one likes spam but then again how else would I ever get people to know my channel when my videos don't even pop up when you search them by name :(

Also, I'm a Commercial Multi/Single engine pilot with his CFI/CFI-I current so if there is anything you guys are having trouble please do comment I will do my best to answer.

Forgive my ignorance (maybe it's not just me) but what is the reason/need for having many subscribers to your channel? Is it for revenue purposes? If you are making videos to entertain people, why would you care if people subscribe or just watch them?

Again, I just don't know enough about YT works.

You might get more interest,if instead of all aviation videos,you chose a specific section of general aviation.

Forgive my ignorance (maybe it's not just me) but what is the reason/need for having many subscribers to your channel? Is it for revenue purposes? If you are making videos to entertain people, why would you care if people subscribe or just watch them?

Again, I just don't know enough about YT works.
Hey :)

The purpose for me is this:

To start I'm not planning on monetizing my channel (means I don't plan on getting money from youtube), I love editing and filming but as you would guess aviation and editing don't really go side by side unless you are well doing montages and clips like the ones on my channel. I put a lot of effort and time into my videos and even though I feel they could be WAY better I just don't have the knowledge to make them that much better, by this I mean that I only know how to use programs such as Gopro Studio and Movie maker. I am reading, watching videos, and doing all I can to learn how to use After Effects by Adobe and other programs that will allow me to improve my videos.

So I know that's a lot of jibber jabber so I'll be short and sweet I do this because it's something I love and enjoy doing just like aviation.

You might get more interest,if instead of all aviation videos,you chose a specific section of general aviation.
Hey :D

For sure, my main purpose is to upload General Aviation videos where I teach students on a daily basis, for example doing an ILS or DME Arcs.

For now because it's such a new channel I haven't had the opportunity to upload many videos since it takes me 2-3hours editing time per video but I will definitely do what you are saying :)

The channel is fairly new and I will put my 100% to produce content that is Quality more than Quantity (1 video a week).

Thanks for the tip :)

You might not have been mistaken for spam if:
1. you introduced yourself first
2. you created threads with more content than just a linked video
3. your polls didn't look so much like A/B testing

Welcome to PoA!

Get the ability to patch in ATC and in cockpit voices. That seems to be something all the bigger channels do.

You must be new here. Welcome to the PoA community. You might not have been mistaken for spam if:
1. you introduced yourself first
2. you created threads with more content than just a linked video
3. your polls didn't look so much like A/B testing

I am actually new here and was not aware of this :)

Thanks for the great advice will use it for next post :)

Get the ability to patch in ATC and in cockpit voices. That seems to be something all the bigger channels do.

I'm working on it, just recently bought the equipment to record in-cockpit audio

Thanks for the tip :)

I'm a Youtube luddite myself other than knowing how to watch videos. People post up interesting aviation videos all the time here. People watch them. I don't know how this "channel subscription" thing works. If I see interesting stuff from a user I might check out more of their stuff. If it looks interesting I'll watch it. If it doesn't I won't.

I don't subscribe to anything because I don't like email notifications.
If you want more viewers, I would throw in some topless ladies. Its like a really big thing on the internet right now.

constructive criticism:

• some people like music in vids, others don't. they're your videos, do what you want. although I didn't personally like the SONG in the one vid I watched, it went well with your vid.
  • last thing I personally need to see is yet another video of a bunch of dudes flying straight and level. they are everywhere, including in my videos. straight and level vids that is, not dudes.
  • just realize that you're not really bringing anything NEW to the table, at least not in the one vid I watched. I don't typically subscribe to channels but if there was something different in them I might.
  • have to agree with the topless ladies.
  • over time I have found that the short vids (<2 minutes) that get right to the point (I am flying, look at these cool clouds) are more fun to watch than the 5+minute long ones (here's me and a bunch of dudes flying, and here are me and a bunch of dudes high-fiving because we are flying, and here are me and a bunch of dudes turning while high-fiving while flying........)

I kind of glanced through your vids and wasn't struck with a need to watch vibe.

Theres tons of avation content out there so much of it is dude in a GA ASEL doing "stuff" with crappy editing.

Just a bare minimum of what you need to be a content producer (imo) Multiple camera angles with good snappy editing, cockpit audio. If you are going to do "flight" videos of Kxxx to Kxxx you need to have a personality that entertains (not a fake one) . Take the time to do "shots", script your videos, zero deadtime if atc isn't talking or your not talking whys is that bit of video in? You need a hook are you flying something interesting turbine, warbird, tailwheel, are you a DZ pilot, fly the bahamas, Ag pilot? Another person telling me how to land a 172 or do an ILS etc doesn't interest me.

Or if its just a hobby be happy making "hyper local" content. Eman doing an "instructional" video was entertaining cause I know him from here and know his online persona but he may only get a few 100 views if that. Ditto for 6pc his how to take off in a cirrus may not hit the front page on youtube aviation searches but it entertained us guys here on POA.

EDIT: Flights with just music= blahh unless your doing redbull caliber stuff.

Be more descriptive on your titles. Its confusing not knowing what you're about to watch, like the lost comm one, isn't really about that, its touch and go's. Be more focused, for example, move your family vacation video to another channel, that wasn't really aviation related, mostly underwater/boating stuff.

Good luck.

I don't feel any need to even look at the product of someone whose only post here is to spam his service in an inappropriate section of the forum. You'd have done better with me if you actually tried to participate here rather than just coming in to advertise.

Put a video of a cat flying an airplane on you channel. People love cat videos.

I don't subscribe to anything on YT. But I never miss an instructive 6PC or Eman video.

You might draw views from here if you post a short, accurate narrative with a link.

constructive criticism:

• some people like music in vids, others don't. they're your videos, do what you want. although I didn't personally like the SONG in the one vid I watched, it went well with your vid.
  • last thing I personally need to see is yet another video of a bunch of dudes flying straight and level. they are everywhere, including in my videos. straight and level vids that is, not dudes.
  • just realize that you're not really bringing anything NEW to the table, at least not in the one vid I watched. I don't typically subscribe to channels but if there was something different in them I might.
  • have to agree with the topless ladies.
  • over time I have found that the short vids (<2 minutes) that get right to the point (I am flying, look at these cool clouds) are more fun to watch than the 5+minute long ones (here's me and a bunch of dudes flying, and here are me and a bunch of dudes high-fiving because we are flying, and here are me and a bunch of dudes turning while high-fiving while flying........)

So this is why there are only monkey stories and no monkey vids...:D:D:D Where is that guy anyway???;)

Hey :D

For sure, my main purpose is to upload General Aviation videos where I teach students on a daily basis, for example doing an ILS or DME Arcs.

I youtube or google whenever I want to see something. Based on above, if your a CFI, put things of interest to students ... those that are already PPL-IR occasionally review as well. Short clips with audio on PPL and IR training will get views I'm sure.

Personally, I hunt by location. The videos of Fullerton (KFUL) were helpful and made spotting the field easy compared to if I had never seen the area surrounding the field by video before going there. Did the same for Catalina years ago. Part of my prep for long XC trips includes checking for decent videos of the approach and landing ... gives a lot better situational awareness. Only other thing I recommended is having a thick skin around these message boards:eek:o_O

ugh, you guys are starting to make me think I need to do another video. but really I've been waiting on the monkey for that.

but maybe what I'm trying to say and maybe what falconkidding was getting at is just to know your audience. if you're bringing videos of straight and level HERE, you're gonna fail, but if they're just for non-flying friends and family, they were fine. minus the lack of boobs. that's just a fail anywhere.

I don't subscribe to anything on YT. But I never miss an instructive 6PC or Eman video.

You might draw views from here if you post a short, accurate narrative with a link.
we want to make the GA community safer.

Take a look at this thread:
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/aviation-youtube-channels.62156/#post-1226403

The aviation channels that people actually subscribe to that have 50k subscribers isn't just music over footage - well, with the exception of the pretty much commercial quality footage from "Live from the Flight Deck".

For personal channels that are successful (e.g. MrAviation101, FlightChops, Guido Warnecke), they have to be informative in a way - either with a narration, text-over or even a slide deck.

You might get a single popular video with music over (though it will have to be REALLY special), but you won't get subscribers that way. You need people to want to get to know you as a person. If you just stay behind cool anonymous footage - the footage is really just meaningful to you and your family and nobody else.

I had a look... The music is too distracting. Also, too much looking at yourself/your friends. I can't say I want to spend time looking at videos of dudes in a cockpit looking outwards with a loud soundtrack. I second the request for topless girls, then just maybe I'd watch a little longer. Would I watch for enjoyment of some interesting flying or to learn something? No because those elements are not present.

Yeah seems it's all about selfies and "look-at-me' stuff. So I'm immediately out and I'm an old classic rock/C&W guy and don't care for the majority of music today.

And I'm also in for topless or a minimum of reveling cleavage, except for guys of course.

Back